Resort Parking Charges

Chef Mickey

Oho! I get it now.

It doesn't matter to you because you don't drive to WDW.
Dude...even if I did, I can keep things in perspective.

In my city, I pay $60 to park a car for a 3 hour event. $150 for a 6 night stay at Disney is not a big deal and I’d gladly pay it. It’s their property. Why should parking be free? It’s not free at practically any desirable place.

Edit: It was only $78? Lol

Honestly, you can’t actually be that upset. You parked a car for 6 solid days and paid $78. Come on. Life isn’t free.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Honestly, you can’t actually be that upset. You parked a car for 6 solid days and paid $78. Come on. Life isn’t free.
Not upset. But if there hadn't been a 10-year trend of decreasing value for additional money, nobody would have even blinked at this.

As it stands, it's just one more (gold) brick in the wall...

Wendy Pleakley

You're taking the discussion out of context. People are using "industry standard" as a reason, and I am pointing out that the industry standard that is being cited is in no way comparable to WDW's situation. Scarcity plays into parking fees at other hotels that charge for parking. Here's the problem, they've provided free parking since 1971, so it's not that anyone is entitled to free parking, but it has been offered in the past.

And, as far as WDW being a cash grab in and of itself, I don't agree. I get value for what I pay for in every other aspect of the world, and this includes my 250 dollar bill at Ohana, which I would never pay for a restaurant where I live, but where I live my family cannot have that type of experience. Thus, I get value for that meal and experience. If I can point to a service that I am paying for, I am good. Guests now have to pay for parking if they drive, and there is no upgrade or noticeable service provided with this new fee. If anything, WDW continues to reduce offered amenities while prices continue to rise.

You're the one who said "There is no reason to charge to park in a parking lot that is not nearly filled.".

Ohana is great, but compared to comparable restaurants just about anywhere, the prices they charge constitute being a "cash grab".

Why is Ohana a "service you are paying for", but parking is not?

I'm not a fan of parking fees or nickle and diming in general, but I find it odd how much people are forgiving of some ridiculously priced things at WDW, but outraged by others.

Wendy Pleakley

Another keyboard warrior....great. Look on the bright side - you've conquered fear and denial. Acceptance is right around the corner. You'll get there soon enough. And once the resort fees are announced you'll forget all about those silly parking fees.

I've been to Disney twice since the fee was implemented. Voiced my dissatisfaction (as many others have). I'm not going to get worked up over a $19/$24 fee that is clearly stated at the time I make my reservation. My options are quite simple: stay at the resort and pay the fee or find alternate accommodations that impose no fee.

You on the other hand may choose to take up picket signs and parade up and down the lot at the Polynesian. I'll honk as I'm driving by.

It's not about picketing or protesting, it's about putting one's money where their mouth is.

So many people complain about these fees, lament the fact that Disney is charging them, but say they'll suck it up and go anyway.

Complaining to Disney or on a message board means absolutely nothing if people keep going and pay anyway.

Chef Mickey

Not upset. But if there hadn't been a 10-year trend of decreasing value for additional money, nobody would have even blinked at this.

As it stands, it's just one more (gold) brick in the wall...
Yeah, but you still went. The $78 didn't make or break the value you saw beforehand, at least I hope it didn't.

Chef Mickey

It's not about picketing or protesting, it's about putting one's money where their mouth is.

So many people complain about these fees, lament the fact that Disney is charging them, but say they'll suck it up and go anyway.

Complaining to Disney or on a message board means absolutely nothing if people keep going and pay anyway.
Agreed. If you're going and acting like THIS, THIS is the fee that triggers me to the point of seeing now value in going...I really think you need to step back and keep things in perspective.

Traveling is expensive, period. Disney is a top destination and people are very price insensitive at Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Another keyboard warrior....great. Look on the bright side - you've conquered fear and denial. Acceptance is right around the corner. You'll get there soon enough. And once the resort fees are announced you'll forget all about those silly parking fees.

I've been to Disney twice since the fee was implemented. Voiced my dissatisfaction (as many others have). I'm not going to get worked up over a $19/$24 fee that is clearly stated at the time I make my reservation. My options are quite simple: stay at the resort and pay the fee or find alternate accommodations that impose no fee.

You on the other hand may choose to take up picket signs and parade up and down the lot at the Polynesian. I'll honk as I'm driving by.

Nice way to goto extremes...

You can still be a sane customer and voice your disssastifaction to the management without being an idiot. But what you advocate is paying and force a smile while you do it. I won't put on a fake face just because I'm getting bent over.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That’s the reality. They can charge resort fees, service fees, customer charges, activity fees, etc and people will pay it. The fact they don’t is purely....a gift.

This is the root of the disagreement. What you see as 'charity'... others see as SERVICE.

Simply because Disney is being less charitable in your eyes... you are still happy they aren't Satan yet. While others are disatisfied with the change in direction.

It's not the $5 that broke the customer... it's the notion you had the gaul to ask for it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay..how's this?

Swolphin - not run by Disney - charges $55 a night plus tax ($32 for resort fee and $23 for parking). If you want valet, tack on another $10 and you're at $65 per night.

Yes, both are absurd. And if Disney has the nuts to try to charge resort fee AND parking... to the tune of $60+/night there will be plenty of backlash when that happens too.

But why should you be comparing Disney to anything but Disney? No one books a Disney hotel because they saw the Gaylord.. and were like... damn, lets goto Orlando but this Disney hotel is the best price on Expedia!

The notion about comparing to other properties is flawed from the get-go... because people are looking at these Disney properties because of what DISNEY HAS DONE FOR 45+ years.... not because they are the market value in the region.

Nor should the notion of "well everyone else did it too..." mean customers should change their opinion on a subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goofyernmost

That’s the reality. They can charge resort fees, service fees, customer charges, activity fees, etc and people will pay it. The fact they don’t is purely....a gift.

I just explained top destinations like my Caymans example are changing fees galore. Disney hasn’t even come close to excessive in my view and is still a fantastic value. The fees at the Ritz are unavoidable too. If you don’t like the parking fee at Disney, don’t drive a car. There is free transportation that is better than good.
Convoluted way of thinking, but, if you are OK with it why should I care. If others are willing to accept that gift that just really doesn't keep on giving anymore, then fine as well. However, Disney will never see a dime from me for parking fees. I sooner spend twice as much in parking fees at a mom and pop motel, struggling to survive, then give more cash to those money grubbers. It may have started with a mouse, but, for me, it is ending with cash hogs.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
But what you advocate is paying and force a smile while you do it. I won't put on a fake face just because I'm getting bent over.

So we can agree paying is the only option (if you want to stay on property). We're now on to our demeanor while paying? Never said I liked it. Voiced my displeasure to a manager in a professional way. Mentioned it on surveys I got from Disney.

This is hardly a new thing. Think about this. Disney AP's could be purchased for $125 back in 1984. Not Resident - for everybody. If you account for inflation (generously at 3%) - an AP should be in the neighborhood of $365 today. I think we both know that's not the case.

You can make the argument that Disney "bends us over" in numerous ways - from: the inflated room rates, hard ticket events, the constant increase of ticket prices, ridiculous food and beverage costs, insane merchandising cost, on and on.

You can't wage a war on everything. You'll overextend yourself. There are those entrenching and want to make this (the parking fees) the battle. That's very naive. There are bigger battles coming down the road - so for those wanting to waste their time and energy on parking fees - more power to ya.

Chef Mickey

Convoluted way of thinking, but, if you are OK with it why should I care. If others are willing to accept that gift that just really doesn't keep on giving anymore, then fine as well. However, Disney will never see a dime from me for parking fees. I sooner spend twice as much in parking fees at a mom and pop motel, struggling to survive, then give more cash to those money grubbers. It may have started with a mouse, but, for me, it is ending with cash hogs.
If you are into charity, just donate the money to those "struggling" mom and pop motels.

Welcome to capitalism...it's what makes everything you love a reality. If you owned prime parking, you'd charge for it too.

Disney is owned by the shareholders and this minor tweak to pricing doesn't undo all the good parts of Disney. This is just business.

Chef Mickey

This is the root of the disagreement. What you see as 'charity'... others see as SERVICE.

Simply because Disney is being less charitable in your eyes... you are still happy they aren't Satan yet. While others are disatisfied with the change in direction.

It's not the $5 that broke the customer... it's the notion you had the gaul to ask for it.
Disney has plenty of elements of service. Paying to park is really not a new concept, so I don't see it as presumptuous.

If Disney is less charitable, many resorts around the world are Satan already, including the Ritz in the Caymans. But you know what? It was worth it too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So we can agree paying is the only option (if you want to stay on property). We're now on to our demeanor while paying? Never said I liked it. Voiced my displeasure to a manager in a professional way. Mentioned it on surveys I got from Disney.

But you did say you should 'accept it' and move on. Give up... pick another battle. Maybe some want to keep reminding Disney they aren't happy with it, or willing to 'accept it'

Goofyernmost

If you are into charity, just donate the money to those "struggling" mom and pop motels.

Welcome to capitalism...it's what makes everything you love a reality. If you owned prime parking, you'd charge for it too.

Disney is owned by the shareholders and this minor tweak to pricing doesn't undo all the good parts of Disney. This is just business.
Capitalism is supposed to benefit everyone. They can charge what they want too, no one disagrees with that, but, I boils down to doing what you can do or what you should do. As long as people are willing to pay it... they will continue to shake us down for everything. Frankly, there was nothing about staying at a Disney resort that made me feel that the cost was worth before the parking charge. It is just another nail in the coffin to me. You are welcome to continue to make Iger and his boys wealthy from their salaries and bonuses. I'd rather not be sucked dry.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
And if Disney has the nuts to try to charge resort fee AND parking... to the tune of $60+/night there will be plenty of backlash when that happens too.

I agree with you. I'm not defending Disney by any stretch so let's get that clear. I think Disney erred in the roll-out. If they had come out and said it's going to be say a $5 parking fee - it wouldn't have created the level of animosity that it did. Once the fee became ingrained, then it would be subject to gradual increase. To $8 then $12, $14.......all the way to where it'll probably be soon in the $30's for a deluxe and mid-$20's for a moderate.

The resort fee is going to happen. It's all about timing now. If Disney rolls-out at $40 (which wouldn't surprise me) then yes....a ton of backlash. But what if they roll-out at $9.99 or $14.99 and give you some sort of perceived value along with it? The key is to introduce it, fend off the reaction....and have it accepted. Once accepted - it's up the mountain we go.

Chef Mickey

And shrinking by the day... But hey, It's business right??!?!?

Disney - We suck less than that guy (tm)
Jaded view...Disney is still a wonderful place and the best park experience in the world. Fees change nothing at a high level. All vacationing gets expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom