Resort Parking Charges

eliza61nyc

I'm curious at what point will you say the cost is too much for what you are getting or not getting?

Not Chef but I'll weigh in. first, this is pretty much my thought process for where ever I vacation. I'll also add in some disclaimers.
Now first everyone must accept the "value" is very subjective. It depends on so much, experiences, locations, comparables. for example in another chat someone mentioned a 200 dollar meal for 4 as being expensive. where I live 50 per person is pretty much Cheesecake factory, middle of the road prices. so that will never be outrageous in my world.

So for me the big "challenge" or better yet, the big factor is "Will we have a great time" for our budget. again, there are some things that I must accept in order to vacation the way I want. 1. I stay on site and at the deluxes. If I can't I don't go. so if that is they way I wish to vacation I either accept whatever charge they (whomever they are) ask or I don't go.
If Disney raises their room prices to 900 bucks a night and I want to go to Disney, then I pay the 900 bucks a night. I don't bemoan and whine about how the prices were cheaper 7 years ago.

I do look at comps. Is what Disney charges waaay out of line for other vacation venues? let's see, again in my experience right now that answer is no. Now I don't break down to the last detail cost, I tend to do more of a total cost analysis. Last year, I went to Ocean city NJ with my family for a week. room rental for a week $3,000 bucks, beach tags $100.00 (grrr. NJ you have to pay for the pleasure of sitting on the beach) food ~ 1200.00. so basically I'm dropped 4-5K for a beach vacation. Two years ago we did Royal Caribbean Oasis of the seas, that again was around 7K after we got a few shore excursions.

I don't live in the past. I don't constantly bemoan the fact that 10 years ago stuff was cheaper. Yes, when I started driving gas was under a dollar, those days are gone. It sucks that when you buy a gallon of ice cream it's no longer an actually gallon and don't get me started on the price of butter. :mad::mad:

So I guess the answer to your question is, this year my travel budget is 7,500 bucks. I had two trips this year, so if the cost exceeds that budget then it's too expensive.

if we go one year and we don't have a good time, we find ourselves noticing what is wrong more than what is right, then the cost will have been to much and we'll go else where and i definitely don't moan about Disney is making it to expensive for the "common" man.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

So stop going over a $20 parking fee that’s common. No one is talking about Mexico or EU, but I bet I can find hotels there that charge to park too, but I’m too lazy to care.

I can’t wait until,Disney starts charging resort fees to catch up to the rest of the industry too. Then we can get the full effect.

Disney is way too cheap as it is. The crowds are the worst part of Disney.
I'm talking about the literally hundreds of clean, comfortable hotels the wrap around WDW. As much as you guys love to compare Kissimmee to Chicago, New York, LA, etc. the hotels around WDW are run by people that recognize an opportunity when they see one and don't have the same license to steal that WDW has. Granted there are a few that do charge for parking, but, way more that don't. That is where the competition is not 1000 miles or more away. I'll deal with parking fees where it is appropriate and I like to think of myself as being intelligent enough to know when I'm being bent over. So comparisons unless it is right outside the entrance to WDW is totally irrelevant and useless to even mention.

eliza61nyc

QUESTION?
How do folks analyze budgets for their vacations? Disney or anywhere. I don't get as granular as to compare every fee, I go more "total" cost. I remember this same type of analysis before Disney resorts had free Wifi. The comparison to outside motels that did offer free wifi.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So I have to think that the cost of DME IS absorbed into the room cost and its just not talked about
Ah, but it's not "included" in the price you pay...

A more fair way would be to increase the room rates and then deduct the cost if you did not bring a car. That incentivizes it..they still get what they want..and those not affected lose nothing.
But if you do that, you can't "comp" the parking fee as a guest recovery option...

Chef Mickey

I think you should head to Dubai. It's expensive, keeps out the wrong kind of people, and should fulfill your needs for a luxurious vacation that ISN'T A FAMILY THEME PARK.
I've spent a short time there. What does that have to do with anything? Just because it's a family theme park, doesn't mean it can't have normal fees like parking. You think because it's a family theme park, it should somehow be free of fees? Disney is like a top 3 destination in the entire world, maybe even THE top if you consider the 10s of millions that visit each year. It takes a lot of money to keep that place going and their margins are not unreasonable.

Chef Mickey

I'm talking about the literally hundreds of clean, comfortable hotels the wrap around WDW. As much as you guys love to compare Kissimmee to Chicago, New York, LA, etc. the hotels around WDW are run by people that recognize an opportunity when they see one and don't have the same license to steal that WDW has. Granted there are a few that do charge for parking, but, way more that don't. That is where the competition is not 1000 miles or more away. I'll deal with parking fees where it is appropriate and I like to think of myself as being intelligent enough to know when I'm being bent over. So comparisons unless it is right outside the entrance to WDW is totally irrelevant and useless to even mention.
Your definition of being "bent over" is different than others. I view other hotels around WDW as inferior imitations from the immersion of Disney. The benefits of the proximity, service, amentities, and other factors have been mentioned. If you don't find value in them, stay outside the bubble...no one is faulting you.

Bet let's not pretend that you have some kind of insider intelligence that the rest of us are missing. We just value things you don't, and that's fine.

Let's also not pretend the "other" hotels haven't banked what they can on the land Disney created. You think the Hilton could charge even what they do charge if it weren't for Disney? A comparable Hilton in no name USA can't charge the Hilton Orlando prices for one reason...Disney. They just can't charge quite as much as the real thing, because they are in the end, an imitation.

You're like the iPhone/Android comparer. You think because there are some cheaper Android phones that do some version of 99% of what an iPhone does for half the price, people buying Apple products are getting taken to the cleaners. Again, it's about what different people value.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't know about the Mexico side but the poster wasn't saying there is no parking fee in the EU. They were saying that if you book a WDW vacation from over this side of the pond the parking fee is being waived.

No, the parking fee isn't being charged because the advertised packages were already in place. Disney markets differently in Europe, and they have to respect their previously advertised packages. It will change with next year's packages.

Chef Mickey

Yes, but you said you couldn't wait for the prices to go up because the place is too darn crowded as it is. Earth to you, New York is more crowded than ever with $800 a night rooms. The crowds will always come, as most of the people who criticize those of us for... criticizing, tend to cling to as an easy way out of the conversation.
NYC is not a good example because the subset staying in $800 rooms is much lower than the total crowd level in NYC.

You will reduce crowds with increased ticket prices (everyone pays the same prices relatively today) and increased rooms prices across the board. There is a point people will stop coming, but it's probably a lot higher than 20-30% more.

I don't want them to do it, but they almost have to because the crowds are detracting from the Disney experience in a negative way. Their failure to expand got them into this situation, which they are wrong in allowing to happen...but here we are.

Goofyernmost

Your definition of being "bent over" is different than others. I view other hotels around WDW as inferior imitations from the immersion of Disney. The benefits of the proximity, service, amentities, and other factors have been mentioned. If you don't find value in them, stay outside the bubble...no one is faulting you.

Bet let's not pretend that you have some kind of insider intelligence that the rest of us are missing. We just value things you don't, and that's fine.

Let's also not pretend the "other" hotels haven't banked what they can on the land Disney created. You think the Hilton could charge even what they do charge if it weren't for Disney? A comparable Hilton in no name USA can't charge the Hilton Orlando prices for one reason...Disney. They just can't charge quite as much as the real thing, because they are in the end, an imitation.

You're like the iPhone/Android comparer. You think because there are some cheaper Android phones that do some version of 99% of what an iPhone does for half the price, people buying Apple products are getting taken to the cleaners. Again, it's about what different people value.
Well, you are right about the last paragraph. You guys have been sold on an idea and you have bought into it hook, line and sinker. You are part of a large club, but, size is no indication of accuracy, only an indication of mass gullibility.

Chef Mickey

Well, you are right about the last paragraph. You guys have been sold on an idea and you have bought into it hook, line and sinker. You are part of a large club, but, size is no indication of accuracy, only an indication of mass gullibility.
See how you're actually the condescending one? You actually believe there is a right answer to where people spend their money. WDW offers many hotels that are constantly booked because people see the value. Apple is the most valuable company in the world because people love their products and software experience. Yet, you see them as "gullible" because they see something as valuable that you might not.

If we live in the same town and you pay $0.07/kwh for electricity and I pay $0.10/kwh, I am definitely the dumb one. That is clear. However, we aren't talking commodities here.

Are people that buy expensive cars gullible too? Is BMW just a car that goes from point A to point B like a Kia?

Newsflash: You aren't the authority on what's expensive, valuable, good, or anything else. Everyone can make choices. That's the beauty of capitalism. And no one is wrong. Even the guy that buys the piece of art for $20M.

Chef Mickey

And boy, do I love my iPhone X...all $1149 of it. Got it the day it was released and couldn't be happier. See how that works? I want iOS, not an imitation. :)

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
And boy, do I love my iPhone X...all $1149 of it. Got it the day it was released and couldn't be happier. See how that works? I want iOS, not an imitation. :)
2531_Toy-Story-characters-eating-popcorn.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
They do in some locations in Europe...

WAIT... Someone does something? ITS OK FOR EVERYONE NOW!! SPREAD THE WORD! Shout down anyone who doesn't like it!

Customer service is defined as what you can get away with... not actual customer satisfaction!!

It's what all the MBAs know... get on board

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But if you do that, you can't "comp" the parking fee as a guest recovery option...

That’s really not a big deal. Who is gonna do cartwheels over free parking in a lot that’s 50% empty?

They also don’t do a lot of recovery...it’s tightly controlled as a revenue loss and they frankly don’t have to do it anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't want them to do it, but they almost have to because the crowds are detracting from the Disney experience in a negative way. Their failure to expand got them into this situation, which they are wrong in allowing to happen...but here we are.

You gotta stop listening to people that hang out on two streets: Wall and Rodeo Drive...

The idea they are “limiting” attendance is the latest in a long line of DUMMMBBB trust of the TWDC on boards such as these
They aren’t adding capacity (finally) in all four parks to then limit attendance.

I got some magic beans to sell you. The goal is - verified by the common sense factor - to increase the prices of the average stay to make more money off each person...and THEN increase the attendance.

Has anyone paid attention for about 10 years??

You have to know when money people are lying to you. It’s not tough.

Goofyernmost

See how you're actually the condescending one? You actually believe there is a right answer to where people spend their money. WDW offers many hotels that are constantly booked because people see the value. Apple is the most valuable company in the world because people love their products and software experience. Yet, you see them as "gullible" because they see something as valuable that you might not.

If we live in the same town and you pay $0.07/kwh for electricity and I pay $0.10/kwh, I am definitely the dumb one. That is clear. However, we aren't talking commodities here.

Are people that buy expensive cars gullible too? Is BMW just a car that goes from point A to point B like a Kia?

Newsflash: You aren't the authority on what's expensive, valuable, good, or anything else. Everyone can make choices. That's the beauty of capitalism. And no one is wrong. Even the guy that buys the piece of art for $20M.
Nor are you my friend, nor are you. Yet, you seem to be trying so hard to convince us that you do have all the answers when all I have been saying is that I think it is a rip off, you can give to whatever charity you care too, but, you don't have to keep defending it because no one really gives two snots about what you spend your money on so you really don't have to defend it. So please do stop.

Chef Mickey

Nor are you my friend, nor are you. Yet, you seem to be trying so hard to convince us that you do have all the answers when all I have been saying is that I think it is a rip off, you can give to whatever charity you care too, but, you don't have to keep defending it because no one really gives two snots about what you spend your money on so you really don't have to defend it. So please do stop.
I just got done saying there is nothing wrong with staying off property, but people that don't (stay off property) see the value in staying on. You're making it sound like they are wrong...they aren't. And neither is Disney for charging the fee.

At the end of the day, everyone has a choice and I'm just telling you the fee is immaterial to the people who stay on property and it's your prerogative to stay off property if you view the fee as onerous. Just don't be so smug like you know something no one else does.

See how magnanimous I can be?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom