Resort alarm clocks being replaced by USB/Power hubs?

ewensell3

I was by no means advocating plugging into any old USB port. But we are talking about items in a resort at Disney. Do you honestly believe that Disney is going to load malware onto a phone? Otherwise why post this?

I would be concerned about someone else tampering with the chargers and Disney not detecting it for some time.

French Quarter

Lol. Confusion? You're lucky people didn't think you were trying to say that Disney's getting rid of value resorts. About Disney ever going to try to get rid of the phones though. Of the resorts you stayed in that did not have a phone, how did you get a hold of the front desk?

I walked to it. These weren't resorts really. Just standard roadside hotels. I typically don't need to contact the front desk from my room at Disney or anywhere else. But I hate the phone so I'm not the best person to ask.

French Quarter

The few times I've been in a hotel without a room phone it has been a Travelodge type place and quite small (under 50 rooms) so just walked down to the front desk.
Also at Travelodge and similar they don't offer room service and you can't make external phone calls as they don't keep a credit card on file for incidentals so it is simpler not to have a phone.

Yes. These are the type of hotels I was talking about.

French Quarter

I know. I just prefer an actual clock. I like to give my phone a rest and not constantly rely on it. And I like that snooze button that I can feel and press without having to open my eyes. ;)

Many clock apps just require you to hit the screen anywhere to snooze. It's not that complex. Lol

French Quarter

Siphoning data is certainly not unheard of. It's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Don't make the mistake of thinking Disney is not a huge collector of big data. As soon as you step on the grounds you're being tracked in a few different ways. Your phone broadcasts unique information while hopping from access point to access point around the parks (even if you're not connecting to them), which maps your trip throughout the day. Where you stop, etc. Those unique IDs are matched to your party activity through magicband/card activity. Once you're back in the hotel room, the phones are associated with whomever is registered as in the room and everything is matched up if it hasn't been already.

They're not necessarily loading malware onto the phone, just pulling data from it that helps connect your guest profile. Makes it easier to market things to you.

I'm not confirming that they do any of these things, but if airports, universities, stores, etc. do it, there's no reason to think Disney isn't.

Yes Disney pulls data from you while on property. But they do this...you know...legally. What you are suggesting is that they are going to illegally pull data from your phone without your consent. They haven't been know to engage in criminal behaviour so you thing this new resort accessory is their first step into the seedy underbelly of computer hacking? :facepalm:

parkhopper1213

It appears resort alarm clocks are in the process of being replaced by USB/Power hubs. Not sure if this is around all the resorts or just DVC resort however - can anyone confirm

CTExcYZUcAAnOQc.jpg
If you want an alarm clock, request one from the front desk. They will bring you one. They are assuming no one uses them anymore. I never realized how much we used it until it was gone. Its a pain to go to phone everytime I want to know what time it is.

DisneyChik17

In all my years of working in hospitality, this is the best thing I have seen!

At least once every morning, I get a call about an alarm not going off, going off at the wrong time, or not doing something that someone expects. This is the same alarm clock with typed instructions for use right beside it, the same alarm clock that each guest sets themselves, and the same alarm clock that they don't have to use. But, it's a Guest Service Rep's fault. Always. o_O

As a guest, I unplug the alarm clock and plug in my phone, like...clockwork.

UncleMike101

If you want an alarm clock, request one from the front desk. They will bring you one. They are assuming no one uses them anymore. I never realized how much we used it until it was gone. Its a pain to go to phone everytime I want to know what time it is.
I contacted Guest Relations last week and asked about alarm clocks since we were "overlooked" once last year by the Wake Up Call System. They assured me that alarm clocks are considered an amenity and may be picked up at the Front Desk of the resort.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

At least once every morning, I get a call about an alarm not going off, going off at the wrong time, or not doing something that someone expects. This is the same alarm clock with typed instructions for use right beside it, the same alarm clock that each guest sets themselves, and the same alarm clock that they don't have to use. But, it's a Guest Service Rep's fault. Always. o_O

I actually GET, and love this :). This year, my wive and I are taking a simple little electronic alarm from Amazon with us.... One with obvious buttons that do not cause the clock to connect to the Net, or mix drinks :). And if we screw up setting the alarm? Well - we OWN it :).

G00fyDad

Somehow they will STILL get blamed. :banghead:

DisneyChik17

I actually GET, and love this :). This year, my wive and I are taking a simple little electronic alarm from Amazon with us.... One with obvious buttons that do not cause the clock to connect to the Net, or mix drinks :). And if we screw up setting the alarm? Well - we OWN it :).

YOU ARE THE BEST GUEST EVER! No lie, if a a guest comes to me and blames themselves first, I am going to physically exhaust myself to fix the issue. If someone tells me "Well, no one told me." I just search for the simple solution.

Somehow they will STILL get blamed. :banghead:

At least they can simply say "I apologize for that sir/ma'am. I am not familiar with any alarm clocks that we provide. Was this a special request." In my southern accent, this works every time. LOL!

Goofnut1980

I wish they'd replace the crazy thermostats and allow for them to go below 68 and not cut off at night when there is no movement. In today's day and age...there's no reason they couldn't know when the rooms are occupied for a vacation time period and allow it to be more flexible and then reset after a checkout has occurred or the room is empty for awhile, etc.

Can we get a NEST in each room? I can set it the way I want it! lol

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It appears resort alarm clocks are in the process of being replaced by USB/Power hubs. Not sure if this is around all the resorts or just DVC resort however - can anyone confirm

CTExcYZUcAAnOQc.jpg

I stayed in a studio at WL this past weekend and there was no clock radio in the room. Had to check the clock on the microwave or my phone for the time. But more outlets to charge all my devices (phone, iPod, Fitbit, etc.) is welcome. Which resort is the picture from?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
now if they could just replace the thermostats to ones that won't shut off in the middle of the night and go below 68 Florida degress without hacking into them....not that I've ever done that ;)

A lot of the thmostats appear to have motion detectors on them and apparently aren't smart enough to realize that there is little motion while you are sleeping...at least that's how I think the ones operate in the Poly studios. So I just switched the fan to ON from auto, so it would run all the time (and run up Disney's light bill, lol). And the Poly studios don't have ceiling fans, which are an absolute necessity in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom