Reservation expansion

yensidtlaw1969

I think it has. Millennials as a generation, due to a number of factors don't seem to collect things, especially not expensive things, as much as gen-x and prior. The jury I believe is still very much out on whether that is a long-term shift or a just a quirk of a restless generation. You can see signs of it all over though: from the decline of traditional middle-class luxury companies such as china/crystal manufacturers, to an ever shifting shape and variety of even banal things like the snickers bars in the checkout line.

ETA: that's not to say it's a wholesale change, but it's certainly a change and companies are reacting, or being forced to react. Disney is not impervious.
That same generation is in a lot of ways struggling to afford cars, housing, having a family . . . You're right about them collecting fewer material objects, but so much of that comes down to simply not being able to afford those things. It's not like all the money saved on fine china and jewelry is going straight into weeklong stays in Orlando.

Interest in travel is up over the decade we're referring to, but most millennials aren't going to Walt Disney World with their rare time off. Averaging 10,000 more people a day at MK is an enormous difference for a park that really hasn't grown its infrastructure in that time - and, pandemic withstanding, has actually shrunk it. I'm really not sure travel and spending patterns of millennials can explain the huge overall increase in crowds at the Magic Kingdom.

Jeff4272

No, but attendance was still too high on a significant more number of days. That's really what I meant there. Basically stop looking at the fire code capacity limits and look at capacity limits that will offer a reasonable experience.

They are but within reason. Could you imagine what the Magic Kingdom would look like lately without Park Pass?

I don't understand. You're suggesting they will have a Park Hopper Ticket (2pm) and then an Early Park Hopper Ticket (anytime)? C'mon. They are ridiculous but not that ridiculous.
Yes. They will. That’s the bet

Jeff4272

I should get a dolewhip for reading all 23 pages in one setting!!!
GIF by Steve Harvey TV

This is all so sad and mind boggling as to Why disney is shooting themselves in the foot? They must think paying guests are a renewable resource for infinity.
Our family has made the break from Disney, and honestly? I am happy about it due to the way things are changing for the worse.
We were the couple who everyone else knew loved disney and who helped several families plan their disney trips. We couldn't say enough wonderful things about disney. We don't recommend it now.
I keep checking these sites to see what is going on, and can't believe what's happening. I feel good about the "break" now as we are planning a lot of new activities. We love Universal and the way they run their parks. It's not complicated and it's fun. Oh well, just my 2 cents worth after reading 23 pages, and now have to make supper:)
We are the same. Bought BLT in 2010. Went 5x in last 3 years and wont be going in 2022 or 2023. Would love to go back but only if things change. In meantime, I’ll rent out my points until I have to sell

Ayla

That same generation is in a lot of ways struggling to afford cars, housing, having a family . . . You're right about them collecting fewer material objects, but so much of that comes down to simply not being able to afford those things. It's not like all the money saved on fine china and jewelry is going straight into weeklong stays in Orlando.

Interest in travel is up over the decade we're referring to, but most millennials aren't going to Walt Disney World with their rare time off. Averaging 10,000 more people a day at MK is an enormous difference for a park that really hasn't grown its infrastructure in that time - and, pandemic withstanding, has actually shrunk it. I'm really not sure travel and spending patterns of millennials can explain the huge overall increase in crowds at the Magic Kingdom.
Most people seem to forget the oldest Millennials are 40.

UNCgolf

Almost all of that attendance growth happened in a 3 year span from 2012-2015, though. It's now back to increasing roughly in line with population levels -- they aren't seeing 1m yearly jumps anymore. As I said above, Disney could do nothing and attendance would almost certainly still rise significantly over time due to natural population increases. If attendance was the roughly same as it was in 1995, that would equate to losing customers.

As for the increase at discussion -- my guess is it's the combination of a post-recession travel boom and the opening of New Fantasyland. New Fantasyland was the first major overhaul to anything in the Magic Kingdom in nearly 20 years, and it was an even bigger change than New Tomorrowland in 1994 with two supposedly major new attractions and a new highly themed table service restaurant, in addition to smaller shopping/dining options.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Almost all of that attendance growth happened in a 3 year span from 2012-2015, though. It's now back to increasing roughly in line with population levels -- they aren't seeing 1m yearly jumps anymore. As I said above, Disney could do nothing and attendance would almost certainly still rise significantly over time due to natural population increases. If attendance was the roughly same as it was in 1995, that would equate to losing customers.

As for the increase at discussion -- my guess is it's the combination of a post-recession travel boom and the opening of New Fantasyland. New Fantasyland was the first major overhaul to anything in the Magic Kingdom in nearly 20 years, and it was an even bigger change than New Tomorrowland in 1994 with two supposedly major new attractions and a new highly themed table service restaurant, in addition to smaller shopping/dining options.
To what extent is the ‘12-‘15 attendance boost a result of Disney benefitting from an overall Orlando tourism increase prompted by Uni’s Wizarding World lands?

Last edited:

Nottamus

Presumably, it linked you out to the web since you cannot create a park pass in MDE.

You also cannot change one, you have to cancel and then add, it's two transactions not a single transaction. There's risk the park you want is no longer available by the time you get to it, and that the park you had goes away while you have none at the same time. Unless you're want or have EPCOT.

While on our trip this June, for all 6 park days, the only park with availability was EPCOT. There might have been an AK one day too.

We had 2 days with reservations for parks we didn't want to go to. We did Typhoon one day and the resort the other. Then did a park after 2:00, AFTER we were forced to go to the park we didn't want to and tap in first.
Exactly! I mis-spoke, I had to cancel THEN add

Also MdE did link me out to reservation system, but I did access that from Mde

I know Universal and Disney provide a different experience, but at this point think about how much easier it would be to go to Universal. You just buy a ticket, their fast pass thing, and just show up with really no planning. You can't do that at Disney World any more. We are going back to Disney World in Sept. after a three year absent and I'm hoping for the best even with all these changes.

bhg469

I know Universal and Disney provide a different experience, but at this point think about how much easier it would be to go to Universal. You just buy a ticket, their fast pass thing, and just show up with really no planning. You can't do that at Disney World any more. We are going back to Disney World in Sept. after a three year absent and I'm hoping for the best even with all these changes.
Seems like your experience at WDW may vary depending on if you are a resort guest or not.

drizgirl

Can you imagine needing a reservation to hop before you can ride Hogwarts Express?

polylover81

You're welcome to disagree with me. I am aware of plans that are forthcoming and I can see how pieces of those plans can lead people to incorrect conclusions, as the one suggested here in this thread.

With these forthcoming plans......I'm a Florida resident, DVC owner, and AP- am I going to make out okay here since we always stay on property? If not I am going to try to prepare my husband for the worst and convince him not to sell our contracts.

It sometimes feel like all APs get grouped together by Disney as a "low value" guest. We always stay DVC or pay cash for resorts if we don't use points, we eat every meal on property despite having a car and the flexibility to leave, and we buy an absurd amount of merchandise. And that's like 5 or 6 times a year.

Disney Glimpses

With these forthcoming plans......I'm a Florida resident, DVC owner, and AP- am I going to make out okay here since we always stay on property? If not I am going to try to prepare my husband for the worst and convince him not to sell our contracts.

It sometimes feel like all APs get grouped together by Disney as a "low value" guest. We always stay DVC or pay cash for resorts if we don't use points, we eat every meal on property despite having a car and the flexibility to leave, and we buy an absurd amount of merchandise. And that's like 5 or 6 times a year.
As far as I know, your situation should improve, not get worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom