Reservation expansion

Disstevefan1

With these forthcoming plans......I'm a Florida resident, DVC owner, and AP- am I going to make out okay here since we always stay on property? If not I am going to try to prepare my husband for the worst and convince him not to sell our contracts.

It sometimes feel like all APs get grouped together by Disney as a "low value" guest. We always stay DVC or pay cash for resorts if we don't use points, we eat every meal on property despite having a car and the flexibility to leave, and we buy an absurd amount of merchandise. And that's like 5 or 6 times a year.
I know, and you know, many locals who have APs, DO SPEND MONEY at WDW, but apparently when the Disney Data folks run the numbers, it’s not enough.

The only bodies WDW wants in the parks are the ones that will spend the most money according to their data, and Chapek admitted that in public.

polylover81

I know, and you know, many locals who have APs, DO SPEND MONEY at WDW, but apparently when the Disney Data folks run the numbers, it’s not enough.

The only bodies WDW wants in the parks are the ones that will spend the most money according to their data, and Chapek admitted that in public.
I totally agree. If I lived closer I would probably eat dinner at EPCOT every night. And I would still fill my house with merch as if it were World of Disney V.2.

I'm sure there are some Orlando locals who go maybe 5 times a month (about 60 times a year) who pack lunches and don't spend a lot. And if their AP cost them around $700, then with 60 visits that's $11 per entry. That is pretty cheap, but I still think those guests are a very small number.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I can say that improvements are coming and more for some guests than others. Things are going to get better, not worse.
not sure how genie could get worse but im sure they can find a way... lol... so based on your answer you cant really say what bc i didnt think they were gonna change it to make it worse.. wondering if you had any specifics to share

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I would just say expect more flexibility next year than right now. And perhaps even more flexibility for guests who are on day tickets or resort stays.
Right now, just about the only thing that would make G+ more flexible, is if they offered people on resort stays to pre-book a few a day, just like FP+. We loved FP+ and hated to see that end. If they offered that, we would have no problem with a paid system, but the way it is structured now, no thanks.

Disney Glimpses

Right now, just about the only thing that would make G+ more flexible, is if they offered people on resort stays to pre-book a few a day, just like FP+. We loved FP+ and hated to see that end. If they offered that, we would have no problem with a paid system, but the way it is structured now, no thanks.
Sorry, I was mostly referring to park reservations. As far as G+, I agree with you.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry, I was mostly referring to park reservations. As far as G+, I agree with you.
We don't really have a big issue with the park reservations. Being DVC we book our trips at the 11 month mark, and make our park reservations right away. Do we want it to go away? Yes, as we are also AP and park hop every day of a trip, and we'd like the ability to change on the fly like we used to.

Disney Glimpses

We don't really have a big issue with the park reservations. Being DVC we book our trips at the 11 month mark, and make our park reservations right away. Do we want it to go away? Yes, as we are also AP and park hop every day of a trip, and we'd like the ability to change on the fly like we used to.
I agree that the hype over reservations is a bit overblown considering we all made 3 FP+ reservations for a single park each day prior to COVID; so we were essentially picking our park anyways. Biggest issue is 2pm hopping, but not a game changer for us. FP+ going away is a much, much bigger problem for us.

Jeff4272

I agree that the hype over reservations is a bit overblown considering we all made 3 FP+ reservations for a single park each day prior to COVID; so we were essentially picking our park anyways. Biggest issue is 2pm hopping, but not a game changer for us. FP+ going away is a much, much bigger problem for us.
This is the exact reason why Chapek saying they use it for planning purposes is likely not true. They had a very accurate count of where people would be with FP+ selections

***ETA***

They use it to redirect crowds in the parks they want

Disney Glimpses

This is the exact reason why Chapek saying they use it for planning purposes is likely not true. They had a very accurate count of where people would be with FP+ selections
That's the reason he has to give. Imagine if he said on a quarterly earnings call: "We are still using the Park Pass system to limit the number of guests in our parks (revenue) because we don't have enough staff to handle entry or food orders."

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I agree that the hype over reservations is a bit overblown considering we all made 3 FP+ reservations for a single park each day prior to COVID; so we were essentially picking our park anyways.
Exactly. For those of us that used FP+, this really isn't much different in terms of knowing what park you might be going to. That's why we loved it. We frequently made our 3 FP+ selections for the second park we were going to that day. So we'd rope drop MK first thing, hit the stuff we wanted, then monorail to EPCOT for lunch and our 3 FP+ attractions. Worked great for how we like to travel. Other days we'd use them at the first park. It just depended on what we were doing that day.
Biggest issue is 2pm hopping, but not a game changer for us. FP+ going away is a much, much bigger problem for us.
I agree that the 2pm sucks, as we would usually hop prior to that. You've hinted that we might have more flexibility next year, so keeping our fingers crossed for that. Yup, FP+ going away totally sucked. We've been twice since they started their G+ crap, and we haven't paid a dime yet. Still rode what we wanted, just had to adjust our timing a bit.

Jeff4272

Exactly. For those of us that used FP+, this really isn't much different in terms of knowing what park you might be going to. That's why we loved it. We frequently made our 3 FP+ selections for the second park we were going to that day. So we'd rope drop MK first thing, hit the stuff we wanted, then monorail to EPCOT for lunch and our 3 FP+ attractions. Worked great for how we like to travel. Other days we'd use them at the first park. It just depended on what we were doing that day.

I agree that the 2pm sucks, as we would usually hop prior to that. You've hinted that we might have more flexibility next year, so keeping our fingers crossed for that. Yup, FP+ going away totally sucked. We've been twice since they started their G+ crap, and we haven't paid a dime yet. Still rode what we wanted, just had to adjust our timing a bit.
Genie+ blows....we're done until it changes........we never got park hopper b we usually just did 1 park per day and did it late afternoon until closing and slept in every day

The problem is, Genie+ ruined our touring style.......completely eliminates the reason we go to disney, to sleep in and go to parks at night, thats why we wont be back until it changes..........going to Bahamas instead this year

Disney Glimpses

I agree that the 2pm sucks, as we would usually hop prior to that. You've hinted that we might have more flexibility next year, so keeping our fingers crossed for that.
For what it's worth, they are well aware of the 2pm pain point. In fact, they were trying to move it to 1pm a few months back, but were unsuccessful. The reason for it is pretty simple: CM entrance shifts overlap at 2pm.

I understand this reason in principal and they obviously know their parks better than me. But my take on it is that they are forcing demand to peak at a certain time rather than let it spread out naturally throughout the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom