Reservation expansion

JMcMahonEsq

For many, that 1K bonus is a welcomed incentive. In the past much higher incentives were offered for many positions. But yes, being paid a living wage is everything. Still, I find it hard to believe there aren't enough people to fill positions, unless everyone moved away during Covid.

I think the added $20 MILLION per/yr the Board is now gifting Chapek (on top of his $34.5 MILLION per/yr salary) is the type of financial commitment TWDC is happier with than properly paying CMs.
I would agree, as they likely (and I personally agree) think it more important to incentivize holding on to the right person as CEO of the company, than payments to regular low level positions that in past times were generally interchangeable and easily replaced.

Its also a much more effective use of a "small" amount of money that has a tangible effect.

Let's say you would rather spend that $20M on increasing employee wages? In 2021 the figure i saw for Disney employees were 190,000. Now that's alot of people and takes into account multiple roles and levels. So let's for ease of math say you are just looking to increase the wages of the bottom 100,000 employees.

$20,000,000/100,000 = $200 per person per year or $0.096 per hour raise. Is that going to move the needle at all for hiring or employee retention purposes? I would say not. But it would go a long way to keeping an CEO on board that the company wants to hold on to.

sinead

I would agree, as they likely (and I personally agree) think it more important to incentivize holding on to the right person as CEO of the company, than payments to regular low level positions that in past times were generally interchangeable and easily replaced.

Its also a much more effective use of a "small" amount of money that has a tangible effect.

Let's say you would rather spend that $20M on increasing employee wages? In 2021 the figure i saw for Disney employees were 190,000. Now that's alot of people and takes into account multiple roles and levels. So let's for ease of math say you are just looking to increase the wages of the bottom 100,000 employees.

$20,000,000/100,000 = $200 per person per year or $0.096 per hour raise. Is that going to move the needle at all for hiring or employee retention purposes? I would say not. But it would go a long way to keeping an CEO on board that the company wants to hold on to.
Of course. Because $34.5 MILLION PER YEAR isn't enough incentive to the job you were hired to do, but everyone else who delivers the product that makes your Board value you should be relegated practically to lives of indentured servitude.

I really REALLY REALLY have nothing further to discuss with anyone promoting your view on this.

Anteater

Frankly, it's bad optics to pay your CEO that much with your employees having to live off welfare to make ends meet.
Let's use his whole compensation, not just the bonus. $345 per person is not insignificant at these low wages. Not enough to push them out of poverty. But, it certainly is the right thing to do. The BoD needs to consider what TDO's leaders have done. In the past year, they've taken nearly 50% of the market value away due to the leadership blunders. Mr. Chapek should be shouldering that, not be rewarded for it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Frankly, it's bad optics to pay your CEO that much with your employees having to live off welfare to make ends meet.
Let's use his whole compensation, not just the bonus. $345 per person is not insignificant at these low wages. Not enough to push them out of poverty. But, it certainly is the right thing to do. The BoD needs to consider what TDO's leaders have done. In the past year, they've taken nearly 50% of the market value away due to the leadership blunders. Mr. Chapek should be shouldering that, not be rewarded for it.

TDO is already of the belief that higher wages are a liability. They and the bald crap peddler need better optics and PR, but the BoD is essentially saying this:

This Is Fine GIF

JMcMahonEsq

I don't see the bad optics being an issue. Aside from a few people on message boards, I doubt most people planning Disney trips even know who Bob Chapek is, let alone what he makes. I doubt almost anyone knows who the CEO of the company they are buying goods and services from is, or what they make, or that it really effects purchasing decisions. It's a talking point for news bites and message boards, and not much more.

For the Fortune 500, in 2021 well over 50% of CEO's saw salaries increase by at least 11%, and 1/3 of CEP's saw salary hikes of at least 25%. This isn't a Disney issue, it's a business one, and apparently most Fortune 500 companies see no problem from a PR/optics standpoint with it.

Further, his salary really isn't that high, as compared with other Fortune 500 company CEO's. For example Discovery Inc.'s CEO's salary in 2021 was $247M, Amazon's was $213M.

Anteater

I don't see the bad optics being an issue. Aside from a few people on message boards, I doubt most people planning Disney trips even know who Bob Chapek is, let alone what he makes. I doubt almost anyone knows who the CEO of the company they are buying goods and services from is, or what they make, or that it really effects purchasing decisions. It's a talking point for news bites and message boards, and not much more.

For the Fortune 500, in 2021 well over 50% of CEO's saw salaries increase by at least 11%, and 1/3 of CEP's saw salary hikes of at least 25%. This isn't a Disney issue, it's a business one, and apparently most Fortune 500 companies see no problem from a PR/optics standpoint with it.

Further, his salary really isn't that high, as compared with other Fortune 500 company CEO's. For example Discovery Inc.'s CEO's salary in 2021 was $247M, Amazon's was $213M.
Don't even get me started on executive salary, in general. Zaslav is way overpaid for the cr*p Discovery is peddling. But, he did sign the WB deal. :rolleyes:. Jassy is in yet another class himself. But, hey, I'm some peon eating ants for a living. So, there's that...

JMcMahonEsq

Don't even get me started on executive salary, in general. Zaslav is way overpaid for the cr*p Discovery is peddling. But, he did sign the WB deal. :rolleyes:. Jassy is in yet another class himself. But, hey, I'm some peon eating ants for a living. So, there's that...
But the point is you can't cherry pick Disney's executive salary, without looking at executive salaries as a whole. Your opinion on executive salary across the board is a valid one (I don't personally agree with it, but it's a logical position to take.) What I don't think is logical is calling out Disney's pay of its CEO, when its completely in line with the general corporate pay structure/system overall. Disney should be looking to hire and retain top executives, which means paying them competitively.

dreday3

So the original post stated it would begin for August trips. I'm assuming would be announced by now!

Guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out the fate of hopping. :D

castlecake2.0

I agree, it’s easy to say “that money should go to the cast wages” but as your math shows it doesn’t really do much. However, maybe they could use that money to put towards cast services. Improve break rooms and back of house areas to make cast feel more appreciated. I’d love an outdoor break area that was more than a picnic table with an old fantasyland umbrella on a patch of gravel. Raises are great, but there’s lots of other things they can also do to help improve morale.

bhg469

I agree, it’s easy to say “that money should go to the cast wages” but as your math shows it doesn’t really do much. However, maybe they could use that money to put towards cast services. Improve break rooms and back of house areas to make cast feel more appreciated. I’d love an outdoor break area that was more than a picnic table with an old fantasyland umbrella on a patch of gravel. Raises are great, but there’s lots of other things they can also do to help improve morale.
Interesting that you mention morale.. I lost my previous job due to the pandemic. I was paid an ok wage but I didn't get a raise in 6 years due to a freeze company wide. We were owned by a larger company and their reasoning was that we weren't profitable when that parent company use us to develop a ton of technology. That was why we weren't "profitable". The reason I never looked to leave? Morale.. I loved that job. They sent me across the country, worked in a lot of really cool places and had access to events that people would kill for. Our health insurance was insanely good and our clients treated me like gold.

I feel like Disney world could be a place like that for people. Pay a decent wage, show the employees that you appreciate them and they will stay..

James Alucobond

I feel like Disney world could be a place like that for people. Pay a decent wage, show the employees that you appreciate them and they will stay..
To an extent, sure, but many cast roles are ultimately hospitality no matter what you do. While you can improve the backstage and operational experiences (which would help, to be sure), you’re still dealing with entitled guests. Customer service roles are naturally much more difficult to make inherently satisfying when so much of your day-to-day enjoyment hinges on the random factor of whoever it is you happen to be serving.

JMcMahonEsq

I can't argue with anything you say here, and as you are a man involved in the process, you would know even better than me. I do wonder, for the specific instance with WDW, is the issue morale/employee retention, or hiring? My experience has been that improvements to office morale/perks helps retain employees on staff, as employees are generally (thought i think this is less true now than it was 10 years ago) happier to stay at a place they are familiar with, than move to a new job, all things being equal.

But I imagine when it comes to attracting talent, either getting people moving into the area for work, or getting employees to switch local employers, money is going to be the deciding factor, not perks. It’s my experience people don’t give up the security of a known job, seniority, or take on expenses of moving, unless it’s for a monetary increase

DisneyHead123

I can't argue with anything you say here, and as you are a man involved in the process, you would know even better than me. I do wonder, for the specific instance with WDW, is the issue morale/employee retention, or hiring? My experience has been that improvements to office morale/perks helps retain employees on staff, as employees are generally (thought i think this is less true now than it was 10 years ago) happier to stay at a place they are familiar with, than move to a new job, all things being equal.

But I imagine when it comes to attracting talent, either getting people moving into the area for work, or getting employees to switch local employers, money is going to be the deciding factor, not perks. It’s my experience people don’t give up the security of a known job, seniority, or take on expenses of moving, unless it’s for a monetary increase
Thinking back to my college years when I worked in restaurants… I think when you are at a low paid, hourly job people move jobs frequently, and word of mouth / what your friends say is a great environment has a lot to do with it. Probably not as much as social drama, which I remember as being one of the biggest movers in that regard (breakups, feuds, and so on,) but it’s up there.

CaptainAmerica

...when it comes to attracting talent, either getting people moving into the area for work, or getting employees to switch local employers...
Respectfully, we're not talking about "attracting talent." We're talking about hiring anyone with a pulse. It takes talent to be a good cast member. It does not take talent to become a cast member. People don't relocate for entry-level service jobs. Disney isn't going to be pulling in applicants from neighboring states to work the fry machine at Pecos Bill's.

This is a volume problem that's unique to Disney. No other employer hires such a large percentage of the regional workforce. There simply aren't enough bodies in Central Florida.

bhg469

Respectfully, we're not talking about "attracting talent." We're talking about hiring anyone with a pulse. It takes talent to be a good cast member. It does not take talent to become a cast member. People don't relocate for entry-level service jobs. Disney isn't going to be pulling in applicants from neighboring states to work the fry machine at Pecos Bill's.

This is a volume problem that's unique to Disney. No other employer hires such a large percentage of the regional workforce. There simply aren't enough bodies in Central Florida.
And the bodies they do have can't afford the increase in rent! Ours was going up 25% in a year before we bought our house

JMcMahonEsq

I am using talent in the sense of employees, it's an HR term for work for work force and sounds better than saying we need to get warm bodies in the door and into paper hats.

Disney Glimpses

Disney is preparing to offer "Afternoon Entry" reservations to APs and Cast Members. The reservations will be broken up into three (3) time slots:
  • Morning - Park Open
  • Afternoon - 12:00 PM
  • Evening - 5:00 PM
The language in the current reservation calendar has been updated to reflect this change in mentality around reservations: "Select the park where you will start your day."

These are additional reservations for APs and Cast Members to secure as a form of first park entry; not a requirement to hop. This should help alleviate the need to make faux EPCOT reservations and help Disney fill the parks when capacity is available after the morning rush.

I hope this clears up the confusion regarding this rumor.

Edit: From what I understand, these Afternoon Entry reservations will be offered to APs and Cast Members.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom