Report: Disney Rejects New Height Limit For Rides

nibblesandbits

tweedledum1967 said:
You know, I can't help but think that everyone tends to overeact a little bit when it comes to Mission Space. The fact is, the ride is designed to "simulate" space travel, and Disney does a good job of creating that illusion. It's not like you are actually pulling ten G's or anything. The g forces you experience are, in reality, quite minimal.
The other effects of the ride serve to enhance the illusion.
Yes, it is a centrifuge, and yes you do spin, and yes, it makes me queesy.(But I get queesy on the teacups too.) But, it's not anywhere near exceeding the limits of human physiology. My daughter was five the first time we went on MS. We went sight unseen, but I don't feel bad about that. I know my daughter and what she likes, and I knew that I would be right there with her. She LOVED it! It's her favorite ride at WDW. She's been on it multiple times and she likes it way more than I do. (I don't like spinning, and frankly, it's really just another movie ride, that is the same every time. Not my thing.)

My point is. Does anybody really believe that Disney (especially in this sue-happy society that we live in now) would design a ride that came anywhere close to
exceeding the bounds of human physiology. It would be corporate suicide.

The fact is-- a young boy is dead. It's horrible, it's tragic. 4 year old boys aren't supposed to just die, so we look for something or someone to blame. It's not the parent's fault, it's not Disney's fault, it's not your fault, and it's not my fault. Sometimes people just die. As long as there is life there will be death, and no matter how smart we may think we are as a society, some of those deaths will always be a mystery. I think it's time that we all take a deep breath and think about that fact for a minute before we all go running around assigning blame. Pray for the boys family. I can't imagine how they must feel, even now, months later.

Very good first post. This is something I think a lot of people forget.

bgraham34

Why are the stupid because they did not use common sense to put there 4 year old kid on a ride that warns you of motion sickness. A child at that age should not be put into a situation like that. Its not like the tea cups were there are not warning signs as posted at Mission Space.

Its the same thing with kids and video games, parents just buy them not knowing what they are about. If i was a parent I would know better and be a parent and examine if they should have those things.

I dont care if you flame me, or dont agree with me or whatever. Parents must take responisbility of their own kids. I know what kids do, i was once a kid and I see them hanging out on corners by me smoking and you are telling me you dont know your kid smokes. If you let them smoke at a young age and they get cancer dont blame the cigarette industry blame yourself.

brich

zone15int said:
1: You can ignore the height restrictions even if they are in your face. Some people A: Don't pay attention whatsoever, they are not on vacation to read and follow rules, B: Language barrier and C: Ignorance of the ride system.

2: Yes, this boy could have been forced on the ride. But we will never know.

3: Rules- Not all attractions are for your child, we have height restrictions and warnings posted.

good day to you.
Sorry, I just can't shut up today... :lol:

1: You were a CM? Tell me how kids who don't meet the height restrictions are getting on rides. If this is the case, Disney has some big issues ahead of them.
2: We may find out if this goes to court...
3: And this child met the height restriction and the warnings did not indicate this child could die from riding...

...and Good Day to you too... :wave:

NewfieGirl

righttrack said:
The ride's warnings bring most of the thrills. That said, I agree with the person who said, parents should preview rides themselves first, before putting their smaller children on them. We've done this before and its the best method.

As for the poor child who died, I am saddened by that, and I can't say who is to blame, but its unfortunate. Nobody wanted that to happen. I don't think it was caused by the age/size of the child and the ride. I understand Disney's position on holding raising the height. Restrictions based on height have to make sense, because you are blindly excluding a lot of people.

I agree. Didn't someone say that the child who passed away was 2 inches taller than the minimum height? If yes then he was a 4 year old that was 46 inches, is that normal or a little tall for the age???(I'm not sure) My 61/2 year old is 48 inches and I'm not sure about all of the ride. While I feel so bad for the parents, isn't it their final decision to put him on the ride? If you aren't informed about a ride then isn't it your job as a parent to be informed? I'm not picking on the parents as at one time or another we as parents make judgement calls with not enough information but are lucky enough to have no consequences. This family were one of the unlucky ones who found tragedy. My heart aches for them but they cannot blame Disney for the death, and shouldn't blame themselves either.

zone15int

brich said:
Sorry, I just can't shut up today... :lol:

1: You were a CM? Tell me how kids who don't meet the height restrictions are getting on rides. If this is the case, Disney has some big issues ahead of them.
2: We may find out if this goes to court...
3: And this child met the height restriction and the warnings did not indicate this child could die from riding...

...and Good Day to you too... :wave:

Sorry, not was a Cm. I still am.:) I am saying that parents keep on trying to run them past Cms at entry points and throw a stink about it when you try to check heights. Some kids heights are questionable, so we check them. If they are not ok we send them away.

You are missing the point about the rules. People will just try to bring a child (fetus, toddler and up) to try to ride ANYTHING. We post heights, warnings and explanation of experience. Again NOT all attrations are for your child.

mrtoad

Yes that is tall for a 4 year old. My daughter who is about 2 month shy of 5 is about that hight (slightly taller) and she is very tall for her age.

But the restriction on the ride is for height not age. I assume it is only to be sure you are the correct height for the restraints as well as in the case of MS is to see the screen correctly.

My belief is if the child were 55 inches, or 75 inches it would not have made a difference. I believe he had something wrong with him which was the reason for his passing.

I don't think there is anyone to blame here. To say the parents should have known better is silly as well as you can't know this will happen. I would not put my daughter on it but not for fear of death but for fear she would be to scared on it.

It was just something that happend, I would say accident but that is not right either as there was no accident. Everything performed the way it was suppose to.

It is a very say thing that happened. I know it would kill me if anything happened to my child but unless it was an equipment failure I would not blame Disney one bit. I know that is easier saying that not being the parent but I know that I could not blame someone for something if I knew in my heart that it was something that happened outside if anybody's control.

NewfieGirl said:
I agree. Didn't someone say that the child who passed away was 2 inches taller than the minimum height? If yes then he was a 4 year old that was 46 inches, is that normal or a little tall for the age???. My 61/2 year old is 48 inches and I'm not sure about all of the ride. While I feel so bad for the parents, isn't it their final decision to put him on the ride? If you aren't informed about a ride then isn't it your job as a parent to be informed? I'm not picking on the parents as at one time or another we as parents make judgement calls with not enough information but are lucky enough to have no consequences. This family were one of the unlucky ones who found tragedy. My heart aches for them but they cannot blame Disney for the death, and probably shouldn't blame themselves either.

wannab@dis

zone15int said:
Sorry, not was a Cm. I still am.:) I am saying that parents keep on trying to run them past Cms at entry points and throw a stink about it when you try to check heights. Some kids heights are questionable, so we check them. If they are not ok we send them away.

Oh yeah... I've seen this happen several times Just love watching Momma pitch a fit to get little Jane onto the ride while little Jane keeps saying she doesn't want to ride. Just makes you warm and fuzzy, huh? :rolleyes:

joshwill

I agree too that changing the height restriction at the point is well, pointless.if anything perhaps an age restriction would be more in line tho that has its own problems in enforcing it as it would really be up to the parents to self enforce it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
Oh yeah... I've seen this happen several times Just love watching Momma pitch a fit to get little Jane onto the ride while little Jane keeps saying she doesn't want to ride. Just makes you warm and fuzzy, huh? :rolleyes:
I can remember one such incident very vividly. It was on of all rides The Great Movie Ride. This was one of those rare times that the line extended out of the theater and into the lobby and there was this one boy,probably 7 or 8, that was absolutely terrified to get on this ride. There was no subtle whimper or "mommy I'm scared" this kid was in a full on panic attack. His father had a death grip on his arm and was screaming at him the hole time. Finally the kid freed himself from his fathers clutches ran out of one of the exits. This action was greeted by thunderous applause by the guests that were witness to this display of parenting.

mrtoad

joshwill said:
I agree too that changing the height restriction at the point is well, pointless.if anything perhaps an age restriction would be more in line tho that has its own problems in enforcing it as it would really be up to the parents to self enforce it.

Yes, it would be almost impossible to enforce. My daughter goes to a school where in her class they range from 2 years old up until Kindergarten. Last year she had her class photo taken at the begining of the year. She was 2 months shy of turning 4 and she was the tallest kid in her class. She was bigger than every kid who was 5.

Also age does not effect if you are physically ready to ride an attraction. You might not be mentally or emotionally ready though.

brich

TAC said:
I'm not saying the parents did either. But, I have not seen anything about his medical condition, regardless of if he was premature or not. So, there is a possability that he did have a pre-existing condition. Again, I am NOT saying he did. It has been over 6 weeks since the incident, and I believe the medical examiner's office say it would be at least 6 weeks until they could definitely determine the cause of death.

That is fantastic that your son can enjoy rides that make YOUR head spin. :p

:wave:
Thanks TAC :)
But the next question would be, were the parents actually aware of a condition. I suspect he did have something going on. I'm just not ready to execute the parents until we know they did anything wrong... :D

bgraham34 said:
Why are the stupid because they did not use common sense to put there 4 year old kid on a ride that warns you of motion sickness. A child at that age should not be put into a situation like that. Its not like the tea cups were there are not warning signs as posted at Mission Space.
Motion sickness can kill you? Hmm Good to know. As for warning signs on Tea Cups, I'm not sure I understand you here but to the best of my knowledge, Tea Cups have warning signs... So I guess your blaming Disney here for allowing this kid to be able to get on M:S in the first place... :dazzle:

bgraham34 said:
Its the same thing with kids and video games, parents just buy them not knowing what they are about. If i was a parent I would know better and be a parent and examine if they should have those things.
I dont care if you flame me, or dont agree with me or whatever. Parents must take responisbility of their own kids. I know what kids do, i was once a kid and I see them hanging out on corners by me smoking and you are telling me you dont know your kid smokes. If you let them smoke at a young age and they get cancer dont blame the cigarette industry blame yourself.
I'm not going to flame you. I'm truly happy to hear that your intentions are to be a good parent. God only knows, thats all most of us parents try to do. But every now and again, something like this happens and you try to self analyze the situation in an attempt to prevent it from happening to you. In our quest to be perfect parents, we often find that things happen and we can only do the best we can do. We can only forsee so far down the road. And often times while looking ahead, we get rearended by a senseless tragedy such as this. With absolutely no eveidence as to the cause of this tragedy, it amazes me that so many parents can come on here with the, "I would never let my kid..." speil and yet I'm sure you do things as parents that others would say, "I would never..." And then we have those who are not parents who are taking stances purely on speculation of what parenting must be like. No, you don't have to be a parent to have an opinion but you do have to be a parent to know what parenting is like. So go one with the parenting critiques but know that what we don't know and what we may never know is what exactly happened... :(

brich

zone15int said:

You are missing the point about the rules. People will just try to bring a child (fetus, toddler and up) to try to ride ANYTHING. We post heights, warnings and explanation of experience. Again NOT all attrations are for your child.
I see the point but are these rides that kids should not be going because they could die or just because they could get scared? I couldn't agree more that my kids don't belong on certain rides but I can't make that claim for others kids. I know you see a lot of "bad" parents forcing kids on rides but MY point is that these rides should be safe to go on period. Even if a kid is forced on a ride, he should not be physically harmed by going on the ride... :)

brich

TAC said:
Agree. That's why I said before that I was NOT saying that the child had a pre-existing condition. But, at this point, the parents MIGHT have known something if say, there were many doctors visits, learning disability, underweight, etc.

:wave:
Ok...I'll leave you alone... :lol:

dandaman

Master Yoda said:
So by that logic if I die sitting on my couch then there is evidence that the couch caused my death.

But what if the couch folded in on you and you suffocated?... :lookaroun

zone15int

brich said:
I see the point but are these rides that kids should not be going because they could die or just because they could get scared?

In my view it's for both. Some kids are chlostrophobic in say Stitch, some arent. Some may have an extreme health risk for Test Track, one does not. Some kids wont go in some attractions, ie: the kid is scared of Zurg in Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. Sometimes the kids wig out, we can convince the kids to ride if we try. Alas, It may not be the right ride for them at this time.

brich

zone15int said:
In my view it's for both. Some kids are chlostrophobic in say Stitch, some arent. Some may have an extreme health risk for Test Track, one does not. Some kids wont go in some attractions, ie: the kid is scared of Zurg in Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. Sometimes the kids wig out, we can convince the kids to ride if we try. Alas, It may not be the right ride for them at this time.
Somewhere, we are missing each others points I guess. I agree some kids aren't ready for certain rides from an emotional perspective, not so sure about a physical perspective. The first time my oldest went on Pirates a few years back, in the middle of the ride, he freaked. I felt awful. I didn't force him on. He loved pirates. I just don't see any Disney ride being more life threatening to a 4 year old then say his parents. If I'm wrong, then I would expect Disney to post this exact risk. So if some kids are more suseptable to chlostrophobia, I suspect a parent would now of this condition. If not, then how can you blame them if the kid freaks out inside? I know there is something getting lost in translation here. I've complemented you in past threads for your stance on height requirements. I know we both are on the same page when it comes to kids safety. I just think that this subject hits people different ways and we often times get too caught up in the discussion... :) So, at this point, I maintain, that good pizza is round... :lookaroun

zone15int

brich said:
I know there is something getting lost in translation here. I've complemented you in past threads for your stance on height requirements. I know we both are on the same page when it comes to kids safety. I just think that this subject hits people different ways and we often times get too caught up in the discussion... :)

I do agree there. I do have this BIG thing about safety, I am better at explanations about the attractions I know inside and out. I can talk and talk about the safety with guests in person when it comes up so. Everyone thinks differently but different views make message board action. sooo bravo!! :)

wdwishes2005

jcraycraft said:
http://www.local6.com/news/5005494/detail.html

Report: Disney Rejects New Height Limit For Rides

POSTED: 7:13 am EDT September 22, 2005
UPDATED: 7:17 am EDT September 22, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Disney officials rejected a request for tougher thrill-ride height restrictions proposed by the parents of a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy who died after passing out on Epcot's "Mission: Space" ride, according to the family's attorney.

A 4-year-old dies after passing out on Disney's Mission: Space attraction at the Epcot theme park in Central Florida.

Moses and Agnes Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Pa., proposed raising the bar from 44 to 51 inches in a letter their attorney sent to Disney officials last month.

Disney rejected the restrictions because the boy's death has not been conclusively linked to the ride, according to correspondence the Bamuwamyes' attorney provided to the Orlando Sentinel.

"Simply to make a change on no informed basis would be false solace to those affected and of no benefit to anyone else," wrote Margaret C. Giacalone, a member of Disney's legal staff. "Further, the minimum height requirement was carefully considered, analyzed and established on the basis of a variety of factors."

Daudi Bamuwamye was 2 inches taller than the simulated spaceship ride's 44-inch height requirement. The cause of the boy's June 13 death remains under investigation.

"We know of no reason to conclude or infer any connection between the Mission: Space ride and the incident," Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said Wednesday.

The Mission: Space ride is so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

Robert A. Samartin, the Bamuwamyes' Tampa attorney, told the newspaper Wednesday that the theme park should not permit young children on rides that cause some adults to pass out or vomit without proving their safety.

he thrust of it is, this is really not appropriate for 4- and 5-year-old kids. This is not the Tea Cups or Dumbo ride," he said, referring to rides in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

Two adults in poor health and a 12-year-old Virginia girl have died this year at Walt Disney World, out of the millions who visit the park each year.

A 16-year-old British girl who suffered cardiac arrest July 12 after riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at the park was still in critical condition when she was flown home by air ambulance last month.

hight has absalutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FRIGGIN RIDE IDIOTS! unless it has something to do with restraints. being small does not have any effect on your body more than a big person. in fact, i would be willing to bet that the bigger you are the less youy body can take g's . a simple mathematical equation proves this. you take a persons wait times the effect of gravity with the g's and whola.

i am so sick of idiots who dont realize that the amount of thrill ride deaths are staggeringly low, and 9999 out of ten thousand it is natural causes. i say, go disney, you are a beacoin of common sense in a dark dark world.

imagineer boy

For the love of all that is holy, will they just give it up?! There is NO way M:S had anything to do with the boy's death. It was just pre existing conditions. Besides, he's the only person to die in the ride since its opening two years ago! Geez! People just love blaming disney don't they.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom