Report: Disney Rejects New Height Limit For Rides

maxime29

Premium Member
Eh, I'm gonna avoid the whole "should the boy have gone on the ride" topic and focus on the main thread point.

Good to see that Disney didn't back down on some silly recommendation. Raising the height requirement does not make the ride any safer. There are already enough warning signs around the ride in order to alert people of the nature of the attraction. The chances of an injury on the attraction are still very slim.

Snapper Bean

DisneyFreak529 said:
I know I might get negitive feed back from this post but what the hell.

I think the parents are to blame! Just because the kid is tall enough doesn't mean the child is old enough. Every one knows that children that young should not be shaken around like that. I think the parents should use some commen sense when they take there kids to a ride.

(SARCASM)Makes perfect sense to me. Each parent should perform their own detailed analysis based on their own independent testing and review of all blueprint schematics as well as their own thorough knowledge of human stress capabilities. The fact that the mult-billion dollar corporation said that its safe for a 44 inch tall child to ride the attraction should be irrelevant because clearly Disney is unable to determine that there might be young children who could satisfy the 44 inch requirement (Who knew?). Everyone should realize that when the height limit says 44 inches that's really just a ballpark guess, you could be several inches taller but you should probably expect a reasonable probability of death in such a case. (SARCASM)

Frankly, nobody knows why the child died at this point. I find the parents to be pandering quite a bit suggesting that Disney raise their height limits. However, to say that the parents are at fault when the child met the height requirement by 2 inches is shameful in my opinion.

wdwishes2005

brich said:
Thanks for sharing your intellect. Your powerful use of the word idiot is spellbinding. Any chance your contributions going forward could be just a tad softer? I know it would be appreciated by many... Thanks tough guy... :rolleyes:

lol, i was not thinking particularly striaght then.

anyway, i was not calling anyone on the boards idiots, i just am sick of the ppl who when a coincidence happens they automatically brand something as a ''health risk'' or ''public safety hazard'' it just bugs me how soft we are in this world, when nothing is an accident and its never our fault.

WDWScottieBoy

If they raise the height requirement, you're going to get more midgets (those who are vertically challenged) to go against the company.

And as far as the 4 year old boy that died is concerned, there was evidence that the boy was born prematurely and had problems with brain development because of that. So, if the parents are willing to put their child (who barely meets the requirement) knowing all the warnings (which they claimed they didn't notice or there weren't enough) and the child's previous conditions, than they just set themselves up for something like that to happen.

/soap box

brich

wdwishes2005 said:
lol, i was not thinking particularly striaght then.

anyway, i was not calling anyone on the boards idiots, i just am sick of the ppl who when a coincidence happens they automatically brand something as a ''health risk'' or ''public safety hazard'' it just bugs me how soft we are in this world, when nothing is an accident and its never our fault.
Phew... glad your cured from your momentary lapse of reason... :D
This topic has a way of bringing out the best and worst in us. That's why I always kick myself for jumping in on these threads. Needless to say, I kick myself a lot.... :dazzle:
As we were.... :D

Connor002

brich said:
Phew... glad your cured from your momentary lapse of reason... :D
This topic has a way of bringing out the best and worst in us. That's why I always kick myself for jumping in on these threads. Needless to say, I kick myself a lot.... :dazzle:
As we were.... :D

It's still better than having someone else kick you... :lookaroun

jdmccol

I don't think it was the parents or Disney's fault. Unless the autopsy discovers something, I don't think we will ever know why he died.

I suspect it was something about the boy, after all, how many other 4year olds have been on M:S without dying? (Or maybe he was the only 4yr old to have ever been on M:S!!) With a sample size of 1, you can't really come to any conclusion about how dangerous the ride is. Maybe if more 4 years olds started to drop dead on M;S, you could say yes it's the ride.

BTW, my 7 year old (46 inches) and I rode the ride several times and thought it was kinda tame. (a little dissapointing with all of the hype)

pax_65

Snapper Beanto say that the parents are at fault when the child met the height requirement by 2 inches is shameful in my opinion.[/QUOTE said:
EXACTLY. The child met all posted requirements to ride. The parents followed the rules. Therefore, one of the following statements is true:

1. The ride is NOT safe for a 4-year-old over 44 inches tall, in which case DISNEY is to blame. Disney needs to increase the height requirement or enact a size/age requirement.

--or--

2. The ride IS safe for a 4-year-old over 44 inches, in which case no one is to blame and the death is just a tragic accident related to some as-yet-undetermined abnormality in the child. (This is what I believe.)

In either case, the parents are not to blame for the boy's death.

CRO-Magnum

bgraham34 said:
First off the only reason that boy died was becuase of the stupidity of the parents. I am sorry they lost their child but common sense lacks in a lot of people. Do they see the signs.(

It's more a lack of understanding than stupidity. The reality is that as medicine as advanced over the past 100 years as medicine has done more to detect potentially fatal flaws, parents seem less inclined to take appropriate steps instead wishing problems away to keep their children from being labelled. The reason we have kids who suddenly drop dead performing tasks that millions of other kids perform without issue is often the result of a previously unknown flaw. I've talked to many parents who have been cautioned by family doctors about their child's weak heart, poor circulation, early onset diabetes, high bodyfat, etc. and few make the necessary changes or request additional testing. It is likely an autopsy will find just such an issue with the deceased boy. Having worked at another theme park where a girl had a seizure on a ride and her parents clamored for its closure, it turned out she was diabetic and her insulin level was so low she was lucky to live.

One thing Disney should consider is posting the target age on the sign. For example, 44" is the average height for a boy or girl at age 5. That would give parents more information to determine if their child should ride. However parents can also take it upon themselves, as they should, to know this beforehand.

peter11435

jdmccol said:
I suspect it was something about the boy,

Careful there. While I agree with you, there are some on these boards who seem to think that saying that means you are blaming the boy. Why I don't know, I guess they just don't like it when facts stare them in the face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom