Report: Disney Rejects New Height Limit For Rides

pax_65

I believe MS is safe. Millions of children have ridden without any problems.

However, if the ride isn't safe for a 4-year-old who meets the height requirements (as some on this board suggest), then I have to wonder if the ride is safe at all. After all, my 4-year-old son is physically close in size to one of my 8-year-old daughter's friends. "Age" is not a particularly useful variable, since two children of the same age can be very different in terms of physical stature, emotional reaction and maturity. To say a person "lacks common sense" to let a 4-year-old ride is not a fair statement, because every 4-year-old is different.

When we go in just over a week, my son won't be riding MS. I'll keep him off only because I think the experience might be a little too intense for him, not because I think the ride is unsafe or that he can't handle it physically.

PigletIsMyCat

I just cannot believe that a parent would let their child ride something that they had not been on themselves. I have not been on M:S, I have not even seen it, so let me put that out there first. I'm guessing that you cannot actually watch people on the ride the way you can watch, say, the tea cups. So parents have no clue what they are putting their child on. You can watch the tea cups, or Dumbo, and see what it is, see how people and children react, then let your child on it. Personally, I would not let a child of that age ANYWHERE by themselves. My half-sisters are nine, and my dad still asks me to go to the ladies room with them when we are all at a restaurant.

I really feel that alot of the responsibility lies with the parents in this case. And Disney does have good reasons for the height restrictions; changing them just to appease these parents and their lawyer with no other grounds would be irresponsible.

brich

mrtoad said:
The thing is you can't go into everything thinking it could kill you but most things could for one reason or another. You don't see labels on cars, saying if you hit another car you could be killed. Someone could die just as easily on the Haunted Mansion if they were scared enough and it made their heart race so much. That is if their heart would fail from such stress. That stress can be brought on by what ever fear you might have. At least that is what I believe.
I agree. To die after riding a ride at Disney World is the furthest thing in your mind... :D
Wait... do any of the rides mention the possibilty of death? :veryconfu

wannab@dis

brich said:
Interesting. You see, that was "your" perception. I wasn't freaked out by the warnings. To me it was a new ride with the "same" pregnant, bad back, neck injuries, motion sickness warnings only now they had them on video screens and had CMs rehashing them. A flight attendant doesn't freak me out when she shows me how to save my a** in case the plane goes down. But if she did, then maybe "my" common sense would tell me not to let my child fly. :D

Of course you're right. It was my perception. The point I wanted to make was that the warnings on M:S are much more 'in your face' and repeated more times than other rides on property. How many rides even mention the fact that you can use the "chicken" exit. Much less, do it several times!

pax_65

PigletIsMyCat said:
I just cannot believe that a parent would let their child ride something that they had not been on themselves.

I think you're being a little hard on the parents. After all, if you did let your child ride something sight unseen (which I agree is a bad idea), you'd probably think the worst that could happen is that the child will be very frightened. You wouldn't expect your child to be seriously injured or worse.

Whenever you get on a ride in WDW, you put your trust in Disney that the ride is safe. I still believe that the ride IS safe. But I would feel better if I understood why this young boy died.

brich

wannab@dis said:
Of course you're right. It was my perception. The point I wanted to make was that the warnings on M:S are much more 'in your face' and repeated more times than other rides on property. How many rides even mention the fact that you can use the "chicken" exit. Much less, do it several times!
Sorry... see your point. My turn.... I AGREE... :D
I believe a "chicken" exit is needed on Small World.... That's my perception... :lookaroun

zone15int

brich said:
Good points. But what is common sense? One can only make sound judgements based on information they are given.

There are warnings that explain exactly what happens on the ride. ie: severe spinning.

brich said:
It's easy for any member on this board to make a sensible decision on this ride because many of us have been on and can give better information than just a warning sign. I think these parents made a sound and respectable decision to let their child ride.

The article said that the child was 46 inches. From my experience as a CM is that guests will try to run by me with their children who may not be tall enough. I stop them and pull them out toward the height stick, the parent and interfering onlookers saying "hes fiiine heees fiiine" and I check the child who turns out to be fine. So they all run off into the queue, likely ignoring every warning sign in the place all the way up to the ride.

Many guests have no idea what a ride does or what it's height limit is. They totally ignore the height stick and signs at Stitchs Great Escape. Alot of times there are kids crying all the way through the queue to the Astro Orbiter and the TTA of all places. Can you really say that the parents made a sound and respectable decision to let their child ride??

brich said:
Believe it or not, many people assume because it's Disney, it's for kids

A bad decision on their parts. Epcot isn't usually a familys first park. Not trying to be harsh here but you figure they learn most of the rules from Day one: The Magic Kingdom.

In ending my post, im not trying to demean the kid's death. It's just that we don't know whether the parents were informed or were just insistent on riding w/o any prior knowledge.

brich

PhotoDave219 said:
Maybe if parents were responsible enough to not put a 4 year old on a centrifuge....
I understand your point...and this little boy was the only 4 year old to go on this ride? :veryconfu

wannab@dis

brich said:
Sorry... see your point. My turn.... I AGREE... :D
I believe a "chicken" exit is needed on Small World.... That's my perception... :lookaroun

Yeah and a sign that says if you are OVER 40" you may be forever scared! :lol:

brich

zone15int said:
There are warnings that explain exactly what happens on the ride. ie: severe spinning.
Which can be interpreted as...

zone15int said:
The article said that the child was 46 inches. From my experience as a CM is that guests will try to run by me with their children who may not be tall enough. I stop them and pull them out toward the height stick, the parent and interfering onlookers saying "hes fiiine heees fiiine" and I check the child who turns out to be fine. So they all run off into the queue, likely ignoring every warning sign in the place all the way up to the ride.
46 inches met the requirement right? So if he wasn't and he got on then....? How do you ignore the warnings as some have stated, the warnings are in your face on this attraction. As a guest with a couple of small children, I too have experienced parents trying to get their children onto rides that they are to small to ride. How is that a point here. If the child was tall enough, he should be let on. If he's not, he should not be let on. :rolleyes:

zone15int said:
Many guests have no idea what a ride does or what it's height limit is. They totally ignore the height stick and signs at Stitchs Great Escape. Alot of times there are kids crying all the way through the queue to the Astro Orbiter and the TTA of all places. Can you really say that the parents made a sound and respectable decision to let their child ride??
Those children didn't die after coming out of Stitch. And I don't agree with forcing a child on a ride. So was this little boy forced onto M:S? Let's not turn this into good parents/ bad parents thread. :)

zone15int said:
Epcot isn't usually a familys first park. Not trying to be harsh here but you figure they learn most of the rules from Day one: The Magic Kingdom.
Good general assessment. But what rules are you talking about here? Rules like if your child meets the requirements and you don't see any warnings that would effect your child, so don't let that child on?

zone15int said:
In ending my post, im not trying to demean the kid's death. It's just that we don't know whether the parents were informed or were just insistent on riding w/o any prior knowledge.
Ok, here's my ending. I have to back out, frankly because your guys are starting to out number me and I don't want this to turn into a 18 page slugfest. I still like you guys, really, I do... :lookaroun

If the ride is not safe for a 4 year old, 46 inch tall boy, then Disney should put a restriction on the ride. They have set up requirements in which they feel, and still maintain, are safe. They have implemented a warning system that indicates that people with a certain set conditions should not ride. From this information, one has to determine to the best of their abilities, if they are capable of experiencing this ride. No where do any of the warnings say that riding this ride could kill you. Motion sickness and severe spinning should only lead to an upset stomache or hurling. That was a perceived risk the parents took. Unfortunately, he never hurled, he died. So those of you who are saying the parents are responsible for this tragedy, then do you also feel that the ride was unsafe for this child? And from there we could probably say then that Disney holds some blame too then... :)

Time for lunch...I'll sit back and watch the onslaught... :eek: Be nice. We try to keep things friendly around here...I said try... :lol:

brich

TAC said:
Well, I don't think we actually know that. All that I heard was that the child was born premature. Now, I am NOT saying that a child born premature means that he/she has any pre-existing conditions. However, the parents knew the childs medical condition. So, with the 18 warning signs, muiltiple chicken out points, "in your face" as you are moving through the queue, IF (and I indeed saying IF), the parents had any doubt that a pre-existing medical condition would put their child in danger, why allow the child to ride?
Sorry...had to respond :lol:
My 6 year old was born 3 and a half months premature. He weighed only a pound and half at birth. Not sure this little guy started off in any more dire straits but I will say, my sons prematurity plays little role in my current decision making for him. He's an avid (almost) green belt in Karate, is an amzing gymnist, plays soccer and hockey and is incredibly smart. Ok, I'm biased. Point is, I have decided he will not ride M:S because I don't won't him getting sick. Even though he loves the Tea Cups. His favorite ride is Big Thunder Mountain and he's happiest doing crazy stuff, much to my horror. :D
So I'm not convinced that they associated his prematurity as a pre exhisting condition because it shouldn't be. Problems associated with him premature, and there can be many, could have been a concern, but we don't know he really had anything... :D
Ok, thats it, really... :wave:

PigletIsMyCat

Before we all do the good parent/bad parent or pre-existing medical conditions things, does anyone have the autopsy report? What did this kid actually die from? Because until then, it's all guesses and speculation.

I still think he should've sat it out :lookaroun

tweedledum1967

You know, I can't help but think that everyone tends to overeact a little bit when it comes to Mission Space. The fact is, the ride is designed to "simulate" space travel, and Disney does a good job of creating that illusion. It's not like you are actually pulling ten G's or anything. The g forces you experience are, in reality, quite minimal.
The other effects of the ride serve to enhance the illusion.
Yes, it is a centrifuge, and yes you do spin, and yes, it makes me queesy.(But I get queesy on the teacups too.) But, it's not anywhere near exceeding the limits of human physiology. My daughter was five the first time we went on MS. We went sight unseen, but I don't feel bad about that. I know my daughter and what she likes, and I knew that I would be right there with her. She LOVED it! It's her favorite ride at WDW. She's been on it multiple times and she likes it way more than I do. (I don't like spinning, and frankly, it's really just another movie ride, that is the same every time. Not my thing.)

My point is. Does anybody really believe that Disney (especially in this sue-happy society that we live in now) would design a ride that came anywhere close to
exceeding the bounds of human physiology. It would be corporate suicide.

The fact is-- a young boy is dead. It's horrible, it's tragic. 4 year old boys aren't supposed to just die, so we look for something or someone to blame. It's not the parent's fault, it's not Disney's fault, it's not your fault, and it's not my fault. Sometimes people just die. As long as there is life there will be death, and no matter how smart we may think we are as a society, some of those deaths will always be a mystery. I think it's time that we all take a deep breath and think about that fact for a minute before we all go running around assigning blame. Pray for the boys family. I can't imagine how they must feel, even now, months later.

kiawahman

Account Suspended
MS and TOT both warn that these rides are somewhat more intense than the haunted mansion.... People should just have more sense as to whether to ride or not.

MinnieSummer

Back when this tragedy occured there were threads all over the boards about it and pretty much everything that was said then is being said now. Parents were blames, Disney was blames, CM's were blamed. The bottom line now, the same as it was then, is that we still don't know what caused this childs death and until we do all we can do is make assumptions and we all know what that means. My own assumption is that there was a pre-existing condition. If there were other deaths of children (or adults) then I would feel differently. If that makes an **a out of me then oh well. I should point out that I have ridden this ride several times with my then 5 year old DD who absolutely loved it and has ridden many times since. Am I a bad mom for letting her on this very intense ride? According to many of you I guess I am. I didn't ride it first I rode it with her. The same as I have done for every other ride she has ever been on.

pax_65

The thing is, if you blame the parents for this, then you must blame Disney too. Because if the parents are guilty of anything, it's of putting too much trust in Disney in the first place. Instead of making their own decision on whether their son should ride, they trusted Disney to tell them whether or not he could ride.

When you say parents should not let a 4-year-old on the ride, even though Disney would let a 4-year-old on the ride (since he met the height requirement), you are basically saying that Disney's requirements for the ride are inadequate - which is exactly what the parents are saying.

You can't have it both ways...

brich

pax_65 said:
The thing is, if you blame the parents for this, then you must blame Disney too. Because if the parents are guilty of anything, it's of putting too much trust in Disney in the first place. Instead of making their own decision on whether their son should ride, they trusted Disney to tell them whether or not he could ride.

When you say parents should not let a 4-year-old on the ride, even though Disney would let a 4-year-old on the ride (since he met the height requirement), you are basically saying that Disney's requirements for the ride are inadequate - which is exactly what the parents are saying.

You can't have it both ways...
Exactly.... :)

zone15int

brich said:
1: 46 inches met the requirement right? So if he wasn't and he got on then....? How do you ignore the warnings as some have stated, the warnings are in your face on this attraction. As a guest with a couple of small children, I too have experienced parents trying to get their children onto rides that they are to small to ride. How is that a point here. If the child was tall enough, he should be let on. If he's not, he should not be let on. :rolleyes:

2: Those children didn't die after coming out of Stitch. And I don't agree with forcing a child on a ride. So was this little boy forced onto M:S? Let's not turn this into good parents/ bad parents thread. :)

3: Good general assessment. But what rules are you talking about here? Rules like if your child meets the requirements and you don't see any warnings that would effect your child, so don't let that child on?

1: You can ignore the height restrictions even if they are in your face. Some people A: Don't pay attention whatsoever, they are not on vacation to read and follow rules, B: Language barrier and C: Ignorance of the ride system. You kinda ignored my scenario. I posted it for the example of the fact people think "oh its disney" so they try to drag kids past CMs at entrances not knowing a merry go round from a tilt a whirl.

2: Yes, this boy could have been forced on the ride. But we will never know.

3: Rules- Not all attractions are for your child, we have height restrictions and details posted.

good day to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom