Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle Cake Apologist

While I agree with this not being overly ambitious, or innovative for that matter, I think people are excited because it does sound like a good quality addition plus a good quality revamp. And added capacity. Nothing Earth-shattering but would make significant positive impact on the park. If true, of course :)

Oh, I agree completely for the most part. It's just that people back a few pages were saying that it couldn't happen because Disney would never build this much at once, which used to not be true at all.

21stamps

Oh, I agree completely for the most part. It's just that people back a few pages were saying that it couldn't happen because Disney would never build this much at once, which used to not be true at all.

I don't think that's what people were saying.
What I said is that I found it odd that Disney would build 2 rides/use a major section of land based on the same movie, in Tomorrowland. Not that 2 rides would or wouldn't happen. I think that's what other people meant as well, but I could have read it wrong.

Castle Cake Apologist

I don't think that's what people were saying.
What I said is that I found it odd that Disney would build 2 rides/use a major section of land based on the same movie, in Tomorrowland. Not that 2 rides would or wouldn't happen. I think that's what other people meant as well, but I could have read it wrong.

My apologies, I may have been interpreting what you were saying incorrectly. It's even stranger to me that the movie that would get two attractions is Tron! I love the aesthetic, but we have to be willing to admit that Tron isn't the biggest movie franchise in the world by any means.

Lee

Adventurer
I was reminded today of a post I made nearly five years ago:
I was hearing last year that Staggs had pitched the idea of ordering two Tron rides, for Shanghai and MK. Apparently that didn't happen at the time.

However...things change almost daily at Disney. I could see the ride system making its way to WDW at some point. Right now, I see nothing to indicate its still on the table for Avatar. That may change, but a Tron clone for MK is just as likely...well...as of today, anyway.

Prophet.

21stamps

My apologies, I may have been interpreting what you were saying incorrectly. It's even stranger to me that the movie that would get two attractions is Tron! I love the aesthetic, but we have to be willing to admit that Tron isn't the biggest movie franchise in the world by any means.

No worries. That's why I hate when people quote me and delete everything except for one single sentence.lol. It takes the entire post out of context.

But yes, I agree. That's why I asked if there was any other such examples at a Disney park elsewhere. Specifically, inside a land not themed to that certain movie.

The_Mesh_Hatter

The "outdoor" section will be completely enclosed with projections on the domes ceiling to convince guests they've entered the Tron Realm. There will be no sunlight. A central plaza inside the first sweeping curve will establish the Tron Realm, a completely enclosed mini land. Light cycles will speed above your heads, and if you look down you'll see the completely new Tron Raceway. Once you see the concept art this weekend, you'll understand. Fingers crossed the don't go with the low budget option for the facade...

21stamps

The "outdoor" section will be completely enclosed with projections on the domes ceiling to convince guests they've entered the Tron Realm. There will be no sunlight. A central plaza inside the first sweeping curve will establish the Tron Realm, a completely enclosed mini land. Light cycles will speed above your heads, and if you look down you'll see the completely new Tron Raceway. Once you see the concept art this weekend, you'll understand. Fingers crossed the don't go with the low budget option for the facade...

Thank you for that description!
This sounds neat! So the Speedway will be extended?

Based on the photos shown earlier it appeared they were away from each other.. if they were both part of one zone it would make a lot of sense.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Thank you for that description!
This sounds neat! So the Speedway will be extended?

Based on the photos shown earlier it appeared they were away from each other.. if they were both part of one zone it would make a lot of sense.

The Speedway track needs to be ripped out to accommodate the heavy construction. How drastically the new layout will differ from the old path is unknown to me.

Lora Baines Bradley

BYE WORLD I AM DEAD, DECEASED, GONE TO THE WORLD AT THIS NEWS

(it was at this moment jyn erso was placed on ignore by many users for her erratic, fangirl behavior. I apologize. :hilarious:)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm in the camp who doesn't think that a Tron reskin of the Speedway would be very good, unless the entire Speedway was somehow now going to be enclosed. Other than at night, I just don't see how it would look that cool. I think the Tron aesthetic (black and blue with heavy reliance on lighting) is one that is really only successful in a darkened attraction. I hope to be proven wrong, though!

Remember in legacy where the OG bike is white...

TWSITT

Tron might not be the biggest franchise but maybe that is what MK needs. Something that adds more for guest to do without bringing tons of fans to the park and making it even more crowded. Where as an attraction based on a more popular IP would. Not saying this won't be popular because it certainly will but it won't attract huge crowds like Star Wars.

2351metalcloud

If that is the case then they might be trying to make something similar to some of the supposed concept art for the Mario Kart ride at Universal that would have flying ships that would go over the kart racers.

Cosmic Commando

Even if traveling to the international Disney Parks is too expensive... doesn't it seem a little selfish to want clones of all of their rides in WDW? It doesn't necessarily make your experience better, but for the people who DO travel internationally to those parks, it must be kind of lame to see the same stuff across the globe. It would be like saying "I can't afford to travel to Paris so they should duplicate the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame in New York." Just my two cents.
Couldn't you also say it's selfish to expect Disney to spend millions of dollars to make your international travel better by developing concepts for new rides, when they have perfectly good ones on the other side of the world that few WDW visitors will ever see and even fewer will care about the cloning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom