Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximumEd

Actually, what they needed was to build that Frozen attraction they unceremoniously wedged straight up the kiester of Epcot in New Fantasyland...

That would have brought in the screaming kids and their money laden parents like the Pied Piper was in town...

You ain't wrong, but MK needs more capacity. Not necessarily more draw. They need to figure out how to do the one without the other. Putting it in Epcot was an attempt to bolster that park and take a load off MK. It didn't belong in Epcot, but alas.

Seabasealpha1

You ain't wrong, but MK needs more capacity. Not necessarily more draw. They need to figure out how to do the one without the other. Putting it in Epcot was an attempt to bolster that park and take a load off MK. It didn't belong in Epcot, but alas.
'Fer sure...my thing is, if they had taken the time to build a brand new facility with a proper sized ride system and proper capacity from scratch, I would have had ZERO complaints...

But yeah...alas...just gotta wait another 25 years until they jerk that thing outta Epcot...or whatever Epcot might be by then...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The myth of world travel as frought with difficulty is wrong. Even flight cost can be less imposing than you think. I flew to shanghai for $200 more than it would have cost me to fly to LA to Disneyland. It's about having the guts to make the jump.

Fear of global travel is a very American thing. Drives me nuts.

And there's no reason you can't visit these other countries and also sightsee within the country. I'm not sure why you WOULDN'T. I've done that in every foreign country that houses a Disney Resort.

I understand and mostly agree with your point, however going to China does require a Visa (at least for Americans) and it's not quite as easily as accessible as Japan for example

bhg469

Yes, but it's a mythical animal, I'm not sure what about that concept is hard to grasp.

No, because Mystic manor doesn't focus on the monkey. He's just the plot device to bring the inanimate objects to life. I'm in no way against Mystic Manor coming stateside, I just don't think Animal Kingdom is the right place for it. At all. It's akin to saying Little Mermaid should have been built in Animal Kingdom because it features fish or that Haunted Mansion should have been built there because there's a dead wolf in the graveyard.
See this >·<? that is the tiny little hole in which you view the world.

It doesn't need to be apples to apples here. The concept of the attraction can be tailored to whatever the heck it needs to be. Its an amazing attraction in an age where good family friendly dark rides seem impossible to build in the states.

Buried20KLeague

It's $1400 a ticket on Delta, per person, from my airport to Shanghai for a flight in November. It costs $50 for a tank of gas to drive to Orlando which is 8.5 hours away and that will hold up to 5 people. It absolutely is a crap-ton more expensive, not to mention all of the other obstacles I mentioned. It's not fear of travel, it's fear of cost. If I spend $2800 for just me and the wife, before I even touch down in Shanghai, how could I possibly afford to stay there long enough to do all the sights and sounds of Shanghai, plus take in a trip for a few days at Disney? No stinking way. I would love for that to happen, but it's not going to.

Lol. If you think $1400 is the best you can do on a plane ticket to Shanghai from ANYWHERE in the states, therein lies your problem.

If it's just too expensive for you, that's fine... But you made it out to be much more than that.

And look... I don't care if you don't want to (or can't) travel outside your bubble. I get that. That's a fairly common viewpoint.

I'm simply saying it's not a big scary undertaking (which you clearly were implying by using things like "political" reasons, passport, language barrier, etc), and it can also be done for quite a bit less than most think. Especially for those that have to get on a plane to get to LA or Orlando anyway. Obviously if you can hop in the car and be at WDW by dinner time, you're one of the more lucky ones.

But were I you... I would be saving those pennies that I don't have to spend on plane tickets to WDW for a ticket to the Far East.

Buried20KLeague

I understand and mostly agree with your point, however going to China does require a Visa (at least for Americans) and it's not quite as easily as accessible as Japan for example

Travel to Shanghai and Hong Kong does NOT require a Visa, actually. Not if you hit both cities at once, which I would highly recommend because it's only about a $79 flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong... MUCH cheaper than doing two trips.

Look up the Transit Without Visa law (TWOV).

I didn't have to talk to anyone about a Visa, didn't have to pay for a Visa, never even had to THINK about a Visa.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Travel to Shanghai and Hong Kong does NOT require a Visa, actually. Not if you hit both cities at once, which I would highly recommend because it's only about a $79 flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong... MUCH cheaper than doing two trips.

Look up the Transit Without Visa law (TWOV).

I didn't have to talk to anyone about a Visa, didn't have to pay for a Visa, never even had to THINK about a Visa.

Interesting. I knew Hong Kong didn't as I've been there several times, but they're still considered separate than mainland China

shortstop

It's $1400 a ticket on Delta, per person, from my airport to Shanghai for a flight in November. It costs $50 for a tank of gas to drive to Orlando which is 8.5 hours away and that will hold up to 5 people. It absolutely is a crap-ton more expensive, not to mention all of the other obstacles I mentioned. It's not fear of travel, it's fear of cost. If I spend $2800 for just me and the wife, before I even touch down in Shanghai, how could I possibly afford to stay there long enough to do all the sights and sounds of Shanghai, plus take in a trip for a few days at Disney? No stinking way. I would love for that to happen, but it's not going to.
Even if traveling to the international Disney Parks is too expensive... doesn't it seem a little selfish to want clones of all of their rides in WDW? It doesn't necessarily make your experience better, but for the people who DO travel internationally to those parks, it must be kind of lame to see the same stuff across the globe. It would be like saying "I can't afford to travel to Paris so they should duplicate the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame in New York." Just my two cents.

KrazyKat

Does anyone know if the official D23 app will be live streaming the presentation for Parks & Resorts? I looked but didn't see any info.

If not, what will you be using to watch the presentation?

Buried20KLeague

Interesting. I knew Hong Kong didn't as I've been there several times, but they're still considered separate than mainland China

Yeah, the basic plot line is if you travel to Shanghai and that's considered your "transit" country before you go to another (in this case Hong Kong, which as you said is treated separately by immigration), they basically consider Shanghai just a long layover. You can stay there for 144 hours on the TWOV rule. The TWOV rule would also appy going to Japan after Shanghai, too. The main point is you have to come from one country, stop in Shanghai, and travel to a 3rd country. You can't go back to the same country you arrived from.

For my family of 5, the money saved on Visas quite literally covered MORE than the cost of the flight to Hong Kong. Using that rule, we basically added Hong Kong for free.

I will also add that it's a VERY rarely used rule. If you fly from a smaller airport, they may not be aware of the rule and you'll have to prove you're right.

I went to my airport a month early and did a dry-run. It took nearly an hour, as they had to call in to HQ to verify the information that I had. Then they noted all our tickets so when we actually went for our flight, we breezed right through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom