Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy_Q

So screamscape is reporting today a rumor that the Tron coaster might go into the parking lot area over by COP and Buzz and not where the speedway is. Any chance that might happen? It kind of seems like a reasonable idea, as you could have the coaster zip around the tomorrow land area and hide the building in that parking lot area.

That would make the show building visible from Main Street and entrance plaza. Would be a stupid decision

Princess Leia

I'm going to act like the Speedway guide-rail and redirect this thread back toward center, but with the understeer I suspect we'll just bounce too far the other way...

What themes (if any) would people prefer for the speedway?
  • Cars (not very Tomorrow-y)
  • Sugar Rush (Wreck-It Ralph)
  • Stitch (mini rockets?)
  • Wall-e (hover chairs)
Are there any other IPs that lend themselves to racing?
Sugar Rush, but only to create an arcade themed mini-land that creates a bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

Cars doesn't belong in Tomorrowland at all, and Stitch would be a bit of a stretch. Wall-E deserves something much, much better.

21stamps

Yeah... Top speed listed at 60mph... Supposedly fastest of any Disney coaster

Honestly the speed isn't what has me perplexed. My kid did the Sling Shot and Volmatron at Old Town when he was 5 years old. I know many adults who won't go near those rides..
However, The height requirement was 44 or 46"...can't remember. I think he was just at 46" at that time..but he's tall for his age.

What's the highest in MK now? 44? Going to 48 is a huge jump, and a huge exclusion of one of their core demographics.
This has me wondering if the trains would actually be modified for MK.

ETA- found it..

IMG_2646.jpg

It will be very interesting to hear the announcement and reactions.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Sugar Rush, but only to create an arcade themed mini-land that creates a bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

Cars doesn't belong in Tomorrowland at all, and Stitch would be a bit of a stretch. Wall-E deserves something much, much better.
I like the idea of a sort of thematic bridge between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland...and a gaming corridor could be fun...re-theme Cosmic Ray's while they are at it... that could be a lot of fun...
I also like the idea of futurist electric cars and some great set pieces and theming along the track...though I wish the track were more like Disneyland's...It is a MUCH more interesting ride...

stretchsje

I think it'd be interesting if the entrance was moved to Fantasyland and the ride was given an IP, maybe that of Pixar's Cars. It's been hinted that guest traffic will flow a little differently when this project is over. I'm expecting a gateway.

Princess Leia

I like the idea of a sort of thematic bridge between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland...and a gaming corridor could be fun...re-theme Cosmic Ray's while they are at it... that could be a lot of fun...
I also like the idea of futurist electric cars and some great set pieces and theming along the track...though I wish the track were more like Disneyland's...It is a MUCH more interesting ride...
Retheme Cosmic Ray's... but keep Sonny Eclipse. I don't want to go there and not see Sonny playing the keys.

lazyboy97o

So screamscape is reporting today a rumor that the Tron coaster might go into the parking lot area over by COP and Buzz and not where the speedway is. Any chance that might happen? It kind of seems like a reasonable idea, as you could have the coaster zip around the tomorrow land area and hide the building in that parking lot area.
I believe this was the original location several years ago when the project was supposed to be a co-development with Shanghai Disneyland.

P_Radden

I believe this was the original location several years ago when the project was supposed to be a co-development with Shanghai Disneyland.
If it were to be built in that parking lot, it could potentially block some views of the castle & BTMRR from the Contemporary..

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Honestly the speed isn't what has me perplexed. My kid did the Sling Shot and Volmatron at Old Town when he was 5 years old. I know many adults who won't go near those rides..
However, The height requirement was 44 or 46"...can't remember. I think he was just at 46" at that time..but he's tall for his age.

What's the highest in MK now? 44? Going to 48 is a huge jump, and a huge exclusion of one of their core demographics.
This has me wondering if the trains would actually be modified for MK.

ETA- found it..

View attachment 215316

It will be very interesting to hear the announcement and reactions.
God I hope not, we don't need this attraction to be watered down.

Bocabear

If it were to be built in that parking lot, it could potentially block some views of the castle & BTMRR from the Contemporary..
So?
I am sure they could theme the back of the show building to gel with Main Street...that is not that big a problem... As far as the views from the Contemporary and Bay Lake...you are pretty removed from the site, and really, as long as the views are fine from Main Street and around the inside of the park, who cares? Not really an issue.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That would make the show building visible from Main Street and entrance plaza. Would be a stupid decision
Yeah I can't see that happening. There isn't much space there and as you mentioned the show building would be completely viable. COP would also also be in jeopardy if Tron were to be shoehorned here.

Bocabear

I am not sure it would be visiab;e at all, and sitting in the spce behind COP, it should not affect that attraction at all... The building is tall, but not THAT tall, and Main Street is fairly tight and vertical.. it would be hard to see anything on the backside of the buildings...Only place you might see it is Town Square, and they could dress the backside of it to look like another building in the distance...

21stamps

I'd love a 48 inch required attraction in MK. As mentioned before MK is VERY kid friendly. It would be nice to have a more intense E-ticket in the park. The kiddos can have something to look forward to when they get older.

I'm quoting you.. but this is more of a general question/observations..

Since joining this site I have consistently read things about "Walt's vision"
Most of the comments are displaced, a little nonsensical, and sometimes outright funny.

But surprisingly, they aren't being said in relation to Tron.. as in the height requirement, not the thrill (one doesn't need to equal the other).

From my understanding, and by all means I am not a Disney fanatic scholar.. but.. The vision for Disneyland and Magic Kingdom was a place where families can enjoy together.

Maybe some of you don't have kids, and don't realize what the average age of a 48" child is.

That kind of restriction will majorly change what Magic Kingdom is, and what it has always been.

VeroniqueB

I'm quoting you.. but this is more of a general question/observations..

Since joining this site I have consistently read things about "Walt's vision"
Most of the comments are displaced, a little nonsensical, and sometimes outright funny.

But surprisingly, they aren't being said in relation to Tron.. as in the height requirement, not the thrill (one doesn't need to equal the other).

From my understanding, and by all means I am not a Disney fanatic scholar.. but.. The vision for Disneyland and Magic Kingdom was a place where families can enjoy together.

Maybe some of you don't have kids, and don't realize what the average age of a 48" child is.

That kind of restriction will majorly change what Magic Kingdom is, and what it has always been.

I have to disagree.

1 - My son is 7 and now 52". He is tall but not the tallest in his class.

When my son is off with my husand doing a ride with an height requirement, I stay with my younger daughter and we do a small ride (caroussel) or we enjoy a snack together. The kids gets special one on one time. Then I can go back with my son with rider switch while my husband do the same with my daughter. There is still plenty of ride we can do together! The mix of types of attractions is what makes it fun for the whole families.

2 - Teenagers. Families have teenagers. Small world is not gonna cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom