Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepirateking

Some people enjoy the Speedway. I get that. It gives kids an experience that may be hard to come by, and they can share that experience with their family and make memories. Fine.

I think some people are focused on the quality of the attraction (low for some) vs enjoyment of it (high for some). You can still have fun on a low quality ride.

There are some valid complaints about the Speedway in its current state. It is loud and smelly. There is nothing futuristic about it. It takes up a lot of space that could be used for something better. By Disney standards and modern theme park standards, it is low quality.

It sounds like the Speedway will stay with an overhaul. I think this can satisfy people who still enjoy the attraction as well as people who think it is a complete waste. Improving the cars and theming could improve the quality and fun factor. I'm optimistic that the improvements will bring this attraction into the 21st century. Time will tell.

Buried20KLeague

An ariel shot of the Tron area shows just how much sightlines would change at WDW.

It also shows, without the glass roof, what you'd be looking at. You enter the que in the pic below, on the very right where the metal arch is. The launch occurs along the front side of the building, with you exiting at the front corner, running the length of the canopy, and making a right turn along the left hump, back down the canopy and back into the warehouse.

Martin says the track is an exact clone. So that exterior track would have to be covered with SOMETHING. (psssst... It's gonna be the glass roof)

His saying it's a clone also makes me believe the multi-level design is likely.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/04/tron-800x400.jpg

bclane

An ariel shot of the Tron area shows just how much sightlines would change at WDW.

It also shows, without the glass roof, what you'd be looking at. You enter the que in the pic below, on the very right where the metal arch is. The launch occurs along the front side of the building, with you exiting at the front corner, running the length of the canopy, and making a right turn along the left hump, back down the canopy and back into the warehouse.

Martin says the track is an exact clone. So that exterior track would have to be covered with SOMETHING. (psssst... It's gonna be the glass roof)

Scor1pion

As much as I would love to see and walk on the second level....how likely is it? Remember they couldn't get the green light for the second level at the Springs.

Buried20KLeague

No kidding. How about a couple shots I took from under/outside the canopy (just with my iPhone, and I don't claim to be any soft of photographer... I'm just giving an idea what it's like)?

2itgc9y.jpg

33joftz.jpg

30jl6dw.jpg

23wqwzc.jpg

thepirateking

Bring it on! My only complaint is the ride is too short. Otherwise, I think this will be a great addition that adds more great light, form and energy to my favorite land.

yensidtlaw1969

A roadside carnival hosted by cartoon dinosaurs was an extremely thorough effort to keep cohesive theme?
Weirdly, yes -- Chester and Hester's runs thematically congruent with Dinoland U.S.A. and Animal Kingdom as a whole. Whether or not the result is a satisfying experience, it is actually a successful expression of the park's themes.

The most interesting part of Dino-Rama is the case study it presents for theme park design. It's worth looking into.

Buried20KLeague

Bring it on! My only complaint is the ride is too short. Otherwise, I think this will be a great addition that adds more great light, form and energy to my favorite land.

I STRONGLY agree the ride is too short. And Martin says it's supposed to be an exact clone.

When you all ride it, the one thing everyone will be in agreement over is that it's just too short. Just watch.

Buried20KLeague

Weirdly, yes -- Chester and Hester's runs thematically congruent with Dinoland U.S.A. and Animal Kingdom as a whole. Whether or not the result is a satisfying experience, it is actually a successful expression of the park's themes.

The most interesting part of Dino-Rama is the case study it presents for theme park design. It's worth looking into.

I've always felt like those that consider that land a thematic triumph are straining too hard to make it so.

I'll always view it as an extremely cheap way to add a little capacity and hopefully generate some revenue with the games, while trying not to "color outside the lines" of AK. I'll never give it more credit than that. The area has always felt like a slap in the face, to me.

Buried20KLeague

As much as I would love to see and walk on the second level....how likely is it? Remember they couldn't get the green light for the second level at the Springs.

If they didn't have the second level, quite a bit of redesign would have to be done. You enter on that second level currently, and all the que works down toward the loading station (much like in DL's Space Mountain). All that would have to be different.

At some point, all that redesign would be just as costly as moving some earth around and creating an elevated walkway.

Also, don't forget that the que would NEED to be above the track, if they intended to keep the effects from the que. The smoked glass effect and being able to watch the launch.

The smoked glass, watching the launch, and entering the loading area from above all build excitement toward the ride. I can't see them axing ALL of that.

As little credit as I give TDO, even I can't see them cloning TRON without actually CLONING TRON.

brb1006

That is a lot of pages. Ok I will give it a shot for you. Mystic Manor should come to DAK. No it shouldn't. Yes it should. No it shouldn't. It's not about animals but there is a monkey. But Eisner said this but...blah blah blah. Disney is alll about family rides, no it isnt yes it is no it isn't. We should all go to China. But it's too expensive. No it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't. Oh yeah and we're getting the Tron roller coaster at Magic Kingdom. Woohoo!!!!!
I wish WDWMagic had a save button so we can favorite the best comments.

sedati

I'm personally torn on the canopy. Visually it's beautiful, especially at night and it offers some great external kinetics making it either a draw or a deterrent for guests. It is an odd brake to go from the grid, to Tomorrowland, then back to the grid.
As a space saver perhaps they could do something along the lines of what's shown in this art I found at Disney and More:

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 12.32.56 PM.png

Wrap the outdoor portion around Space Mountain, preferably with some sort of cover that lights up.

ToTBellHop

And someone was complaining a day or two ago about track supports. Thing is... With this design, they sort of WORK. I didn't have any issue with them at all. They're in the pics I posted above... But your eyes aren't drawn to them. They sort of become part of the look.
I think this would look phenomenal in our TL and jive quite well with the aesthetic they've been developing in the land the last few years. Some more of the 1994 fixtures would need to go to perfect the design however. No Buzz batteries, please.

It really needs the outdoor portion to add kinetics to a "world on the move" and to draw guests in. There is no question that it would be easily marketable for the national market as it is striking, visually appealing, and represents an immediately-recognizable departure for WDW that could actually lead to a feeling that it is time to plan a visit. I think NFL failed in that respect because it was largely more of what we already expect from Disney and didn't even have a modern IP to draw people in.

rle4lunch

With all the purest(s) on here espousing how DAK is the ultimate conservation/zoological/one with nature crap, the dino-land carnival feels like a section of six flags was cut out and plopped in there. nothing screams conservation more than six flags. o_O

seriously though, I really can't stand dino-land. the only thing over there that sorta fits is the children's play area. lol

oh, and the popcorn vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom