Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Dunne

In a latest podcast, Jim Hill said that the highly successful Shanghai Tron Coaster might be a possibility for the Tomorrowland Speedway. Tomorrowland would become kind of a gateway to other worlds such as Wreck-it-Ralph and Tron. Of course, if they could ever get Tron 3 off the ground, the coaster might become a reality. Would you give up the Tomorrowland Speedway for the Tron coaster?
Absolutely I would,I have thought about this last year,makes complete sense to me Disney MUST move foreword and stop being to nostalgic,that's not Walts way,the problem is there are no visionaries at Disney now all franchises.and that's really disappointing.good post

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Have you heard they want it? The property could easily support a trilogy given a charismatic-enough Charlie.
Unfortunately, this being Disney, that would involve casting Johnny Depp in the title role, as the candy man, as Willy Wonka, and at least one of the grandparents (not to mention as all of the Oompa Loompas).

HauntedMansionFLA

The balance of MK is all wrong...they need something down the corner in Adventureland and there's plenty of options if thy spent a bit...what could be more marketable than MKs 4th Mountain?
Unfortunately, this being Disney, that would involve casting Johnny Depp in the title role, as the candy man, as Willy Wonka, and at least one of the grandparents (not to mention as all of the Oompa Loompas).
Johnny already played the title role a few years back.

Kadiem

Maybe Electric cars? (CARS Themed) - put a Mickey Head solar farm nearby, Get "Sponsor" Batteries and "Sponsor" cars. Win / Win sponsors can test their batteries / DC engines since these things will be beaten up... Children today will be either driving electric cars or not driving at all :rolleyes: or we leave it like it is and in 20 yrs kids will be saying "Wait a minute, you're telling me these things run on liquid fuel?"
Paging Elon Musk. Elon Musk, please report to Tomorrowland. Tesla would be a nice sponsor for the Speedway....and Space X for Astro Orbiter, too

Princess Leia

Not like it's going to happen, but at this point I'd be happy with a Wreck It Ralph attraction and a Tron attraction. Swap out the Speedway with Sugar Rush (this also involves new, clean energy cars) and create a high tech Tron ride (though maybe not the Shanghai coaster). I guess the things that really bug me about the Shanghai Tron coaster is that a) it goes outside and b) it doesn't zap you into an arcade game.

I know that this would be yet another expensive queue, but it would be great if Disney could incorporate some sort of illusion to make it look like you are becoming a part of the game. Line the queue with arcade games, and when you scan your magic band, some sort of electric pulse takes you into the next section of the queue where there's lots of blacklight, projections of other Tron games, and Daft Punk. I don't really have a vision for the ride itself, other than it needs to be entirely indoors. Maybe they could put it where Buzz is now if the Speedway stays?

Kman101

If they turn Buzz into a Tron shooter ride ... blech. (Not that I would care or miss Buzz ... sorry to those who like it). Not saying they are but if Tron isn't a coaster ... that leaves a dark ride.

So when are they turning Test Track into Radiator Springs Racers? Since we're getting IPs everywhere ... and yes I'm kidding. I hope.

clemmo

Right now Moana won't be a new build in Adventureland. As it stands nothing currently is.
No new build in adventure land or the whole MK? While no new build would be disappointing I'd hope they at least replace the things that should be replaced/updated SGE, Buzz, Speedway

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Not like it's going to happen, but at this point I'd be happy with a Wreck It Ralph attraction and a Tron attraction. Swap out the Speedway with Sugar Rush (this also involves new, clean energy cars) and create a high tech Tron ride (though maybe not the Shanghai coaster). I guess the things that really bug me about the Shanghai Tron coaster is that a) it goes outside and b) it doesn't zap you into an arcade game.

I know that this would be yet another expensive queue, but it would be great if Disney could incorporate some sort of illusion to make it look like you are becoming a part of the game. Line the queue with arcade games, and when you scan your magic band, some sort of electric pulse takes you into the next section of the queue where there's lots of blacklight, projections of other Tron games, and Daft Punk. I don't really have a vision for the ride itself, other than it needs to be entirely indoors. Maybe they could put it where Buzz is now if the Speedway stays?
From what you wrote about the queue, I'm picturing something like the mirror/ doorway in the enchanted tales with Belle and how it opens up... How cool would it be for the arcade game open up and you move inside. ;)

And a Sugar Rush speedway is a perfect blend for Fantasy Land and Tomorrow Land! Build Tron behind a sugar rush mountain.

RunnerEd

Too bad they didn't buy the LotR franchise... imagine a whole park full of that!
Every time I see Expedition: Everest, I think the same thing. That thing is the Lonely Mountain, change up the queue decorations, replace the two Yeti scenes with Smaug, and there you go. Bulldoze DinoLand and build Esgaroth with sight lines to the mountain and we have LOTR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom