Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh for sure. They have 0 confidence in their movies. Which is ridiculous LOL

What do you expect from the beancounters currently infesting Burbank. Heck they cant even allow Carrie fisher to rest in peace she HAS to be in the next SW movie according to the 'formula'. Hint its war and soldiers get killed even general officers

The first Marvel flop and Disney will drop the Marvel franchise like a hot rock.

Kman101

Well, to be fair, they asked her family to use her in the next movie. Do I agree? I'm not sure how I feel. Depends on her role in The Last Jedi, I guess.

I also agree about Marvel. The first flop and they'll probably bail on it. But will there be a flop? They're like the Transformer movies. People see them regardless. Not saying they're all bad, I personally prefer the off-brands like Guardians and Doctor Strange over Avengers/Iron Man, etc. but that's me. I think they fill a void that Disney had. JMO. But now they're starting to base lands around them. At least the comic versions are used at Universal. We'll see what the future holds for Marvel.

rle4lunch

Didn't you know the future is filled with Retro colors lol...Just kidding. I was wondering the same thing. However, I do like the brighter colors.

Didn't Back to the Future 2 tell you all you needed to know about the future's color pallet? It's all neon and hypercolor t-shirts and hats! Get with it, bojo!
rs_1024x759-150101075322-1024-Back-To-The-Future-II-JR-1115.jpg

huwar18

They have 9 zeros of confidence. As in the amount of zeros that sit behind the $1 that each movie ends up grossing.

I completely agree. They should have confidence because they make a killing. It is like Rogue One. I kept hearing reports that Disney was freaking out about the film. They were afraid it was going to bomb. I think they re-shot some of the movie. Then, it turned out to be one of the biggest films.

gmajew

Premium Member
I completely agree. They should have confidence because they make a killing. It is like Rogue One. I kept hearing reports that Disney was freaking out about the film. They were afraid it was going to bomb. I think they re-shot some of the movie. Then, it turned out to be one of the biggest films.

I think it is normal business fears they invest a lot of money in these properties and movies and they want to make sure they are a hit as they are big big budgets. And a few bombs can kill a studio look at what is happening in that segment this past year. So personally I think it is great they care as much as they do about making them perfect even if some feel they are to main stream when done they are hits and that is what the job of the studio heads is to make sure they are hits.

rle4lunch

I think it is normal business fears they invest a lot of money in these properties and movies and they want to make sure they are a hit as they are big big budgets. And a few bombs can kill a studio look at what is happening in that segment this past year. So personally I think it is great they care as much as they do about making them perfect even if some feel they are to main stream when done they are hits and that is what the job of the studio heads is to make sure they are hits.

I really think that Disney has found the "golden algorithm" for their crop of movies for the last 5-10 years. By far, they've had probably an 80-90% success rate. Anyone with an iota of business sense can understand why they're going all-in with Lucasfilm and Marvel studios and their subsequent splinter franchises.

gmajew

Premium Member
I really think that Disney has found the "golden algorithm" for their crop of movies for the last 5-10 years. By far, they've had probably an 80-90% success rate. Anyone with an iota of business sense can understand why they're going all-in with Lucasfilm and Marvel studios and their subsequent splinter franchises.

Oh I agree but two many Pete's Dragon can have a huge negative effect on the bottom line.

They need the Lucas and Marvel movies to be wins and animation so they can take some chances on some other properties... IE Tomorrowland is a perfect example...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't think box office success is indicative of how well or poorly something is set up to be a theme park attraction. Characters and world are much more important.
  • Frozen - Huge box office, iconic characters, mediocre world
  • Rogue One, Avatar - Huge box office, mediocre characters, iconic world
  • Star Wars (main saga), Harry Potter - Huge box office, iconic characters, iconic world
  • Song of the South - Irrelevant box office, iconic characters, iconic world
I think they're going to want to keep Star Wars "special" with no more than one film per year.

They need the Lucas and Marvel movies to be wins and animation so they can take some chances on some other properties... IE Tomorrowland is a perfect example...
+ Live action remakes.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I don't think box office success is indicative of how well or poorly something is set up to be a theme park attraction. Characters and world are much more important.
  • Frozen - Huge box office, iconic characters, mediocre world
  • Rogue One, Avatar - Huge box office, mediocre characters, iconic world
  • Star Wars (main saga), Harry Potter - Huge box office, iconic characters, iconic world
  • Song of the South - Irrelevant box office, iconic characters, iconic world
Too bad they didn't buy the LotR franchise... imagine a whole park full of that!

RobbinsDad

Oh for sure. They have 0 confidence in their movies. Which is ridiculous LOL
Actually not at all if you dig deep. Disney is doing great with animation and acquired IP films. But their "in-house" live action movies miss as often as they hit. Tomorrowland, John Carter, Pirates 4, The Lone Ranger are examples this decade. The only ones that have exceeded expectations recently are the remakes of animated films, and as Alice 2 shows, there's a limit.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Too bad they didn't buy the LotR franchise... imagine a whole park full of that!
The background music alone, my God. If I were in a theme park with "The Fellowship" theme playing in the background, I'd probably just go sit on a bench and weep softly to myself for a few hours.

E-tickets through Moria, Helm's Deep, on the Eagles over Mount Doom. A boat ride through Lothlorien and/or Rivendell. Dark ride through Hobbiton.

Kman101

Actually not at all if you dig deep. Disney is doing great with animation and acquired IP films. But their "in-house" live action movies miss as often as they hit. Tomorrowland, John Carter, Pirates 4, The Lone Ranger are examples this decade. The only ones that have exceeded expectations recently are the remakes of animated films, and as Alice 2 shows, there's a limit.

They have no faith in any movie they put out. Sorry but it's true. They had no faith in Frozen FYI. Just saying ... Just because they do great doesn't mean they trusted what they put out.

Phicinfan

The background music alone, my God. If I were in a theme park with "The Fellowship" theme playing in the background, I'd probably just go sit on a bench and weep softly to myself for a few hours.

E-tickets through Moria, Helm's Deep, on the Eagles over Mount Doom. A boat ride through Lothlorien and/or Rivendell. Dark ride through Hobbiton.
Add in with what they did with the Hobbit movies as well, that would be an incredible land to work with....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom