• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magicart87

Well Known Member
Premium Member
Advertisement
Why is the Tron Cycle "Coaster" even being considered? I get that it's popular and high on the list. (It might be greenlit now for all I know) But doesn't that concept just poo-poo on the grandeur of Space Mountain? Why would Disney put a coaster next to a coaster? I'm surprised this isn't being discussed at greater length. I'm all for the Speedway replacement but not for a Coaster. Is this seriously the top choice?

BrianLo

Every armchair imagineer and their mother has been proposing this since we first learned about the attractions existence in like 2010. Realistically it traces back to @WDW1974 or MiceAge if we're really honest.

Of course if Disney is getting rid of a tomorrowland attraction they'd consider cloning a recent successful one. Why is anyone even able to take credit for this rumour, that sounds incredibly unlikely? It had more validity in Disneyland circa 2013...

Add this to the heap with RSR for DHS.

FigmentForver96

BREAKING: Corless is being a baby. Also for those keeping track at home:
Jim and @lentesta talk about a Tron Coaster replacing the Speedway on March 19th
Corless puts up his article on April 5th.
View attachment 199387
He is the biggest complainer and has attention problems. Like in a series of tweets he claims how he wants to have his "followers" spam this site for Magic sending his "lackeys" to spam him. Pathetic

Last edited:

huwar18

For me it's the fluorescents. Why do people think the future will be filled with hi-liter colors?
Didn't you know the future is filled with Retro colors lol...Just kidding. I was wondering the same thing. However, I do like the brighter colors.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh for sure. They have 0 confidence in their movies. Which is ridiculous LOL
What do you expect from the beancounters currently infesting Burbank. Heck they cant even allow Carrie fisher to rest in peace she HAS to be in the next SW movie according to the 'formula'. Hint its war and soldiers get killed even general officers

The first Marvel flop and Disney will drop the Marvel franchise like a hot rock.

Kman101

Well, to be fair, they asked her family to use her in the next movie. Do I agree? I'm not sure how I feel. Depends on her role in The Last Jedi, I guess.

I also agree about Marvel. The first flop and they'll probably bail on it. But will there be a flop? They're like the Transformer movies. People see them regardless. Not saying they're all bad, I personally prefer the off-brands like Guardians and Doctor Strange over Avengers/Iron Man, etc. but that's me. I think they fill a void that Disney had. JMO. But now they're starting to base lands around them. At least the comic versions are used at Universal. We'll see what the future holds for Marvel.

rle4lunch

Didn't you know the future is filled with Retro colors lol...Just kidding. I was wondering the same thing. However, I do like the brighter colors.
Didn't Back to the Future 2 tell you all you needed to know about the future's color pallet? It's all neon and hypercolor t-shirts and hats! Get with it, bojo!

huwar18

They have 9 zeros of confidence. As in the amount of zeros that sit behind the $1 that each movie ends up grossing.
I completely agree. They should have confidence because they make a killing. It is like Rogue One. I kept hearing reports that Disney was freaking out about the film. They were afraid it was going to bomb. I think they re-shot some of the movie. Then, it turned out to be one of the biggest films.

gmajew

Premium Member
I completely agree. They should have confidence because they make a killing. It is like Rogue One. I kept hearing reports that Disney was freaking out about the film. They were afraid it was going to bomb. I think they re-shot some of the movie. Then, it turned out to be one of the biggest films.
I think it is normal business fears they invest a lot of money in these properties and movies and they want to make sure they are a hit as they are big big budgets. And a few bombs can kill a studio look at what is happening in that segment this past year. So personally I think it is great they care as much as they do about making them perfect even if some feel they are to main stream when done they are hits and that is what the job of the studio heads is to make sure they are hits.

rle4lunch

I think it is normal business fears they invest a lot of money in these properties and movies and they want to make sure they are a hit as they are big big budgets. And a few bombs can kill a studio look at what is happening in that segment this past year. So personally I think it is great they care as much as they do about making them perfect even if some feel they are to main stream when done they are hits and that is what the job of the studio heads is to make sure they are hits.
I really think that Disney has found the "golden algorithm" for their crop of movies for the last 5-10 years. By far, they've had probably an 80-90% success rate. Anyone with an iota of business sense can understand why they're going all-in with Lucasfilm and Marvel studios and their subsequent splinter franchises.

gmajew

Premium Member
I really think that Disney has found the "golden algorithm" for their crop of movies for the last 5-10 years. By far, they've had probably an 80-90% success rate. Anyone with an iota of business sense can understand why they're going all-in with Lucasfilm and Marvel studios and their subsequent splinter franchises.
Oh I agree but two many Pete's Dragon can have a huge negative effect on the bottom line.

They need the Lucas and Marvel movies to be wins and animation so they can take some chances on some other properties... IE Tomorrowland is a perfect example...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't think box office success is indicative of how well or poorly something is set up to be a theme park attraction. Characters and world are much more important.
  • Frozen - Huge box office, iconic characters, mediocre world
  • Rogue One, Avatar - Huge box office, mediocre characters, iconic world
  • Star Wars (main saga), Harry Potter - Huge box office, iconic characters, iconic world
  • Song of the South - Irrelevant box office, iconic characters, iconic world
I think they're going to want to keep Star Wars "special" with no more than one film per year.

They need the Lucas and Marvel movies to be wins and animation so they can take some chances on some other properties... IE Tomorrowland is a perfect example...
+ Live action remakes.

larryz

Haven't Lost An Eye Yet!
Premium Member
I don't think box office success is indicative of how well or poorly something is set up to be a theme park attraction. Characters and world are much more important.
  • Frozen - Huge box office, iconic characters, mediocre world
  • Rogue One, Avatar - Huge box office, mediocre characters, iconic world
  • Star Wars (main saga), Harry Potter - Huge box office, iconic characters, iconic world
  • Song of the South - Irrelevant box office, iconic characters, iconic world
Too bad they didn't buy the LotR franchise... imagine a whole park full of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom