Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

TP2000

That's an amazing photo of the US Science Pavilion! It's still there! ...and they haven't painted the panels all different colors.

Yes it's all still there, and more related to current day Epcot than we may realize.

Have you been to the Seattle Center lately? It's brilliantly updated and modern in parts of the fairgrounds, but is really showing its age in others. The former US Science Pavilion, now the Pacific Science Center, desperately needs help. It needs a deep cleaning, a painting, moderate repairs to surfaces and pavements, and the removal of several layers of "FUN!" decorations and promo banners and random artwork and patio umbrellas and a Wheel Of Death and some dinosaurs (?!?) added from 1985 to 2010 in an attempt to attract the kiddies attention. Also the fountains don't work, cause water is so scarce in Seattle. :rolleyes:

Compare the elegant cohesive look of the 1962 World's Fair, to the jumbled mess of today.
WASC0235.JPG

Seattle's Pacific Science Center is the saddest corner of the World's Fairgrounds to look at today because they just have no coherent design direction, a limited upkeep budget, and no one on staff who understands the brilliant purpose the facility had upon opening decades ago. Kind of like Epcot and Future World! :eek:

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

Sorry I didn't explain my thoughts on that better. It just seems that MCM used to a certain extent the theme of "blocks" of color in the designs of the day. Sometimes the blocks were more like blobs or stripes but the pallet often included alternating or contrasting colors. I'm not sure if it was because of artists like Alexander Calder or Piet Mondrian and their vivid use of colors but to me it's something I notice was in vogue. So to me, the paint scheme on the Innoventions buildings makes me think of that period of design -- blocks of color -- that's all.

It's cool you are such an admirer of Mary Blair and Ray Eames. They are definitely worthy examples to study. There was recently an excellent exhibit on Ray Eames in Sacramento. Ray didn't seem to use as saturated colors as Mary but she had a wonderful sense of color combinations and I love the biomorphic shapes she used in her work. Here's an example of one of her paintings.

ray-eames-painting.jpg

I also like this photo of Ray Eames with some tall stacking forms which I recall from the exhibit. They were a prototype for "The Toy".

View attachment 51532
My sincere apologies for giving you a hard time. I was being snarky, and I should not have been. You very much "get it" with regard to those two.

It has been said that Mary Blair understood color as well as the great impressionists like Monet.

I feel they are doing this to Innoventions:

Im7htrr.jpg

Wouldn't a retro paint job in the Blair/Eames style be wondrous?

maxairmike

So, kind of along with the paint job, I had a random thought this morning that involves a question maybe someone here may know the answer. Have there been large glass panels done with the same technology used on glasses with Transitions? I know one of the excuses they used for covering up the windows was because the inconsistent sunlight caused lighting issues with the exhibits and atmosphere inside. While in the brightest conditions that would activate the darkening of the glass using that technology, you can also generally see through the lens from the "outside," which would allow folks outside around the fountain the opportunity to see a bit what is going on inside while still providing a more controlled lighting situation inside. However it would also allow a more open feel to the space by allowing guests inside the buildings to see outside. Of course you then have to address the arrangement and setup of the exhibits, but maybe this would provide a workable solution? Heck, could the tinting be controlled electronically?

Omnispace

Yes it's all still there, and more related to current day Epcot than we may realize.

Have you been to the Seattle Center lately? It's brilliantly updated and modern in parts of the fairgrounds, but is really showing its age in others. The former US Science Pavilion, now the Pacific Science Center, desperately needs help. It needs a deep cleaning, a painting, moderate repairs to surfaces and pavements, and the removal of several layers of "FUN!" decorations and promo banners and random artwork and patio umbrellas and a Wheel Of Death and some dinosaurs (?!?) added from 1985 to 2010 in an attempt to attract the kiddies attention. Also the fountains don't work, cause water is so scarce in Seattle. :rolleyes:

Compare the elegant cohesive look of the 1962 World's Fair, to the jumbled mess of today.
WASC0235.JPG

Seattle's Pacific Science Center is the saddest corner of the World's Fairgrounds to look at today because they just have no coherent design direction, a limited upkeep budget, and no one on staff who understands the brilliant purpose the facility had upon opening decades ago. Kind of like Epcot and Future World! :eek:

I was there almost exactly two years ago -- just before the 50th celebration and I was really bummed that I was going to miss the cool exhibits they were setting up in the former Sweden pavilion. They were also working like mad to put the final touches on the Chihuly garden. As for the Pacific Science Center, I've always felt like I am a bit of an outsider when I pass by because of the tall fence in front of the place. I have never paid the admission to go inside. I'm amazed they keep the general public out of the courtyard. You would think easy access would be key to enticing people inside. It's unfortunate that Yamasaki's buildings have been allowed to deteriorate and get cluttered. If anything, modern designs need to be kept pristine -- it's part of the aesthetic.

I have to say though that I do like the Imax addition to the science center. They did a nice job of picking up the the mid-century modern character of the original while keeping it fresh. I also found some cool photos to represent some of the points I made about Innoventions. Expressing the theater itself is an excellent way to create a point of interest in an otherwise understated building. And the photo at might shows how you can generate visual excitement just by actually being able to see through the glass to some well-designed colorful interiors. It's very well done.

seattle_045.jpg

pacific_science_center.jpg

Omnispace

My sincere apologies for giving you a hard time. I was being snarky, and I should not have been. You very much "get it" with regard to those two.

It has been said that Mary Blair understood color as well as the great impressionists like Monet.

I feel they are doing this to Innoventions:

Im7htrr.jpg

Wouldn't a retro paint job in the Blair/Eames style be wondrous?

Ha! I just thought you had a huge thing going for Mary Blair! I was going to recommend you look into the work of Alexander Girard. Several of the fabrics he designed were used for Eames' chairs. He was also influenced by folk art which makes some of his designs seem very much like Blair's. I can see Blair-influenced panels/walls of intense colors complimenting the current buildings very well or as highlights within the exhibits themselves. One can also use the vivid color schemes in a environmental graphics package that helps to tie the entire Future World together.

Omnispace

So, kind of along with the paint job, I had a random thought this morning that involves a question maybe someone here may know the answer. Have there been large glass panels done with the same technology used on glasses with Transitions? I know one of the excuses they used for covering up the windows was because the inconsistent sunlight caused lighting issues with the exhibits and atmosphere inside. While in the brightest conditions that would activate the darkening of the glass using that technology, you can also generally see through the lens from the "outside," which would allow folks outside around the fountain the opportunity to see a bit what is going on inside while still providing a more controlled lighting situation inside. However it would also allow a more open feel to the space by allowing guests inside the buildings to see outside. Of course you then have to address the arrangement and setup of the exhibits, but maybe this would provide a workable solution? Heck, could the tinting be controlled electronically?

It's a cool idea. Andre Anders looks like he has been thinking about the same thing....

Another solution to control the glare are automatic roll down shades but I find that the different ideas regarding "responsive facades", where the devices are exterior to the building, are pretty cool -- such as on the Al Bahar towers. Seems a bit more like the stuff that one would come to expect from the original EPCOT Center...

Mashrabiya%20%20mock%20up_0.jpg

Crazydisneyfanluke

Wouldn't it be cool if they painted the exterior to change with heat. as the day gets hotter, the paint would change to a cooler blue and as it cooled down, it would turn to warmer color.

Figments Friend

Personally, I am more of the camp that would prefer the buildings be understated as they were intended to be, remove the covers on all those windows, and allow the excitement to be created in other ways. Or even better, go Syd Mead "supersonic baroque" in the design. But that's just me.

No, it is not just you my friend.
There are quite a few who feel exactly the same way.

Wish we could see some movement in the developmental departments....and see some results that touch on this.

SMRT-1

so yea...saw it a few days ago...honestly it doesn't make any difference. that area is so busy now that it blends right in. maybe paint spaceship earth like a rainbow now? who knows...

Kman101

The website Da Mouse had a pretty thorough article on why the color scheme basically sucks. I'll have to find the link if I can link to that site. Not sure how that site is received here. I really never visit it but stumbled across it. I'd love to send it to whoever's in charge to remind them of what Epcot should be.

DisneyGentleman

The website Da Mouse had a pretty thorough article on why the color scheme basically sucks. I'll have to find the link if I can link to that site. Not sure how that site is received here. I really never visit it but stumbled across it. I'd love to send it to whoever's in charge to remind them of what Epcot should be.
Walt called EPCOT, “the heart of everything we’ll be doing in Disney World.”

I'd say it's now the ugliest heart since Cruella d'e Vil.

The Empress Lilly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom