Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

FerretAfros

Exactly. Everything about the plaza... the Communicore buildings... Future World... Epcot... is designed around SYMMETRY!
It really doesn't have to be symmetrical to balance though; just consider the Mission:Space façade/plaza area. It's not symmetrical by any stretch, but it's still visually balanced and looks nice. If they're using 'random' colors throughout the entire complex, I don't particularly care if the patchwork pattern is mirrored over to the other side, as long as the colors are the same. There are ways other than symmetry to create unity

That said, I think the patchwork looks pretty terrible, and they really should just pick one color scheme and go with it

The Empress Lilly

It really doesn't have to be symmetrical to balance though; just consider the Mission:Space façade/plaza area. It's not symmetrical by any stretch, but it's still visually balanced and looks nice. If they're using 'random' colors throughout the entire complex, I don't particularly care if the patchwork pattern is mirrored over to the other side, as long as the colors are the same. There are ways other than symmetry to create unity

That said, I think the patchwork looks pretty terrible, and they really should just pick one color scheme and go with it
Yes to the patchwork looking horrible, and yes to symmetry not being the only way to create unity.

FW East is based on symmetry. FW West is not. Imagination and the Seas are organic, a-symmetrical structures. By contrast, Energy, Life, Horizons and Motion are symmetrical monoliths. This is why I resent the Space building. It makes a mockery of the design choices of FW East. It's fine in itself, but like so many other later additions to FW it seems to think itself more important than its surroundings. And this when harmony and visual correspondence is so much part of the visual appeal of classic EPCOT Center.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

ToTBellHop

Well, the silver lining is that with the Florida sun, we will only have to look at this for 4 or 5 years before they have to repaint and can go with something less jarring.

Bold is certainly one adjective. In the way that Joffrey executing Ned Stark was bold.

note2001

Maybe someone misunderstood comments about this area:
"Needs more natural shade" was heard as "Needs more natural shades."

Or, we could hold out hope that this is just step one of a larger, amazing project and they simply need the base colors down. I don't know... not a painter here.

I'm just taking guesses. There has to be a reason behind Disney going to all this effort on a paint job.

Last edited:

Clamman73

This just screams "I have no idea what to do, so let's just make it loud and tacky to get attention." It also is making me feel like the Munch painting. Just ugh...

I'm trying to guess is this some pattern of colors that mean something, or just a particular design that someone came up with just because...

CDavid

This is unbelievable. It is so ugly those responsible should be required to paint their houses this way.

However, it admittedly fits with the dumbing down of Epcot. Instead of a dignified, stately paint scheme, we get something that looks like it was designed by a kid coloring with crayons, and intended to appeal to the crowd who thinks that's what theme parks are all about.

There has to be a reason behind Disney going to all this effort on a paint job.

There is. Stupidity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom