Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you! I've been wondering about that too!

I also agree, although it doesn't appear dramatically different, IMO. Over the course of many years, I wonder if the exterior tiles on SSE could have faded a bit from the natural elements. That's just my guess. (They also have some sort of periodic schedule to clean the exterior; if that doesn't bring it back to its original luster and reflective qualities, then maybe the sun/climate is the underlying issue.)

Perhaps someone more familiar with architectural materials may have some better insight into this observation.

FerretAfros

I also agree, although it doesn't appear dramatically different, IMO. Over the course of many years, I wonder if the exterior tiles on SSE could have faded a bit from the natural elements. That's just my guess. (They also have some sort of periodic schedule to clean the exterior; if that doesn't bring it back to its original luster and reflective qualities, then maybe the sun/climate is the underlying issue.)

Perhaps someone more familiar with architectural materials may have some better insight into this observation.
I would guess that some of it is natural fading over time (Alucobond has some plastic in it, so it can lose its shine with enough exposure), but that a big part of it is also the differences in cameras. Certain things just look different on film vs digital, and I've always assumed that this was one of them. If you look at various pictures, the shine seems to have disappeared around the time that everybody converted to digital, so I suspect that's a big part of it

Soarin' Over Pgh

Perhaps they used a polish on SSE that they are no longer applying.

There isn't much more I can say about this new paint scheme other than "bad." Poor taste, poor understanding of what makes the park appealing, and just bad.

Honestly, it looks like a 1st grader's art project...that ended up getting a D.

Yeah, pretty much. I got some 2nd graders artwork in my office and looking at it, they at least got a good color scheme going on.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Remember the original design? Like this, from 1983? A nice plaza, futuristic look...

2186976232_881ca6973e_b.jpg

Sorry Disney, total FAIL on this one.

They did need a place for all those that have died on property then secretly moved off property and had their death reported. Thus, the entrance graveyard. Keeps families of the deceased quiet and helps with the 100% guest survival rate.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
They did need a place for all those that have died on property then secretly moved off property and had their death reported. Thus, the entrance graveyard. Keeps families of the deceased quiet and helps with the 100% guest survival rate.
They move them off property? I thought that was how they kept the tigers in DAK so active and bloodthirsty. Fed a fresh supply of bodies of those that have died of boredom in Ellen's Energy Adventure.

BoarderPhreak

Thankfully the hand/wand desecration of SSE disappeared a few years back. And they're reversing the other little things (e.g. purple Innoventions towers)... Now if only we can get them to remove that stupid carnival sail:

Did SSE used to be more shiny? In most of the old photos, it looks more polished and reflective than it does today.
Shiny? Perhaps only because the skin has oxidized a bit, and the overall cleanliness varies. It's occasionally pressure washed.

Omnispace

Thankfully the hand/wand desecration of SSE disappeared a few years back. And they're reversing the other little things (e.g. purple Innoventions towers)... Now if only we can get them to remove that stupid carnival sail:

Shiny? Perhaps only because the skin has oxidized a bit, and the overall cleanliness varies. It's occasionally pressure washed.

It was built for the Millenium celebration. It was intended to create a sense of excitement. (One can't really deny that it has a circus tent-like qulaity.) And visually it is a vertical element in an otherwise flat and horizontal plaza. I suppose that the former trees used to provide some verticality to the plaza when looking south but I read somewhere that the trees weren't doing well in the difficult soil conditions. (Anyone know more about that?) But when you consider that the "tent" was built specifically for something that happened over 14 years ago, perhaps it's time to come up with something fresh.

One good thing that I like about it is that it creates a focus to the plaza and the kiosk actually creates a nice structure for people to congregate around in what would otherwise be a wide open space. (People like to congregate at "edges".) I remember waiting by the fountain one afternoon to meet-up with a friend and there was lots of people hanging out and enjoying the space that I'm not sure would be there otherwise. But then, it looks like it was a nice plaza back when they had the trees and reflection pools so the "tent" pretty much compensates for paving over a greenscape back in the 90's. One change begets another....

Omnispace

^ That's a good point - removing the canopy would possibly make the tipboard/pin station look really weird.

Exactly, ...but I'm not necessarily arguing for keeping the kiosk since there are probably other solutions that would provide the same benefits. I'm just saying that one has to get out in the parks, hang around, and look objectively at what works and what doesn't work. Even a questionable solution, such as the tent/kiosk, might have some merits that guide a new approach. May main point is that any decision making process should go beyond: "This looks boring, let's add more colors to it..."

lazyboy97o

Exactly, ...but I'm not necessarily arguing for keeping the kiosk since there are probably other solutions that would provide the same benefits. I'm just saying that one has to get out in the parks, hang around, and look objectively at what works and what doesn't work. Even a questionable solution, such as the tent/kiosk, might have some merits that guide a new approach. May main point is that any decision making process should go beyond: "This looks boring, let's add more colors to it..."
This is why I think Learning from Las Vegas is such an important book.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ That's a good point - removing the canopy would possibly make the tipboard/pin station look really weird.
Get rid of that too then. Mousegear can sell plenty of pins. We didn't want the Futurechoice Theatre anyway.

Its a plaza. A meeting point. Heavily trafficked. The heart of the park. Open it up. Landscape it. Paint and decorate it respectfully.

And for gods sake finally fix the fountains PA system once and for all.

TinkerBell9988

Get rid of that too then. Mousegear can sell plenty of pins. We didn't want the Futurechoice Theatre anyway.

Its a plaza. A meeting point. Heavily trafficked. The heart of the park. Open it up. Landscape it. Paint and decorate it respectfully.

And for gods sake finally fix the fountains PA system once and for all.

I just gave you a standing ovation at my desk. Bravo, great post!

Communicore

I wasn't aware at the time, but prior to the millennium remodeling, were there any concept art available and what was the reaction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom