Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

hpyhnt 1000

new paint scheme is being called Kaleidoscope... just fyi...

Meanwhile, this is the first thing being done on this project.. I'm not necessarily a fan of the new look, but it will look much better once all portions of it are completed.

Interesting, thanks for the info. If I were a betting man, I would put money on the canopy tarp panels becoming multi-colored to match the buildings, thus making it seem like we are "walking" thru a Kaleidoscope.

Communicore

Interesting, thanks for the info. If I were a betting man, I would put money on the canopy tarp panels becoming multi-colored to match the buildings, thus making it seem like we are "walking" thru a Kaleidoscope.
It should be an approximation of the Rainbow tunnel, only in not so rainbow colors!

Uncle Lupe

Take two.

I wish the pattern would have followed a Fibonacci Sequence.

donaldmath.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Take two.

I wish the pattern would have followed a Fibonacci Sequence.
Following your Fibo you don't get that far, more panels are required for patterns, numbers. Strolling my eyes along the (what's that word again) rooftop, up where they are, up where they paint, up where they'll stay all day in the sun, I count only, not more than fifty, per every side.

note2001

This thread seems to have taken a turn from disappointed to hopeful all with the word "kaleidoscope"

To the true sense of the mechanical kaleidoscope, I'm guessing they will be adding in spinning mirrors (perhaps structured like arrow tails on poles?)
I still have an issue with the colors, they don't match anything there. Not Starbucks, not the old walls which they may or may not repaint, not the breezeways.

Whatever they're up to, I just hope they don't make an already busy plaza too busy. I'm having fun seeing pics of the progress and reading guesses.

Stitchon

Interesting that you should bring up Project Gemini. While I felt it broke up the Communicore buildings too much, I agree it did a great job of adding lots of trees and natural features. The late-70's modernism of the buildings, with the massive columns and rounded edges, has a heavy, grounded character. Since Disney seems to be all about rockwork lately, adding some appropriate rockwork to the areas around the buildings could bring some nature to the area -- make it feel a bit less sterile and urban. Then the heavy character of the buildings would be more justified, (they are of the earth), and you could get interesting juxtapositions where the natural boulders and a rugged environment interact with the modern architecture. But that's me. I love the interaction of nature with the built environment.

Also, something in the realm of Ned Kahn's work would add an intangible, ethereal quality to the buildings/plaza as well as some visual motion.

Ned Kahn >>>>
_

I'm lucky enough to live near this Neiman Marcus store, and the fins are on multiple sides of the buildings and look absolutely spectacular in the sunlight. They're made of perforated aluminum, and almost everyone walking by at least looks up at them. Imagine that, better kinetics in a shopping mall than at Disney.

MarkTwain

I wonder how long the person who authorised this has actually worked for the company and how old they were when EPCOT Center opened.

I don't want to give the impression I know people... but I've met a couple of Imagineers over the past year, and eventually had the opportunity to visit the Glendale campus a few months ago. I feel like a solid 80% of the Imagineers I met were under 35, so yes, too young to remember or experience an opening day EPCOT Center. And yes, it was a little unnerving, considering most of them were neither Disney experts (well, far from the ones on here) nor necessarily design prodigies; they felt more like ordinary designers that happened to have the run of the most prestigious themed design company in the world. Several seemed to have been hired full-time as interns and planned on moving on after a few years. Perhaps I was repeatedly encountering the wrong bunch, I would love for someone with more knowledge to correct me. It would certainly make me feel better.

Last edited:

tirian

You're right and the facts are depressing. If you get a chance, have a conversation with some of the current Imagineers. Look at their portfolios. They're hardly the best anymore. Most got lucky with an internship or attended the "right school" when Disney was hiring. Few are true visionaries and even fewer know much about the company's history or full library of possibilities.

Many of today's Imagineers just repeat "Disneyland is not a museum" to justify bad decisions.

HOWEVER...

WDI still turns out some great stuff when experienced designers are involved. Carsland and FLE exteriors prove that. But there's no denying that other creative groups are turning out better attractions and more original concepts than WDI. Maybe one day the department will be less bloated and return to its former innovation.

I don't want to give the impression I know people... but I've met a couple of Imagineers over the past year, and eventually had the opportunity to visit the Glendale campus a few months ago. I feel like a solid 80% of the Imagineers I met were under 35, so yes, too young to remember or experience an opening day EPCOT Center. And yes, it was a little unnerving, considering most of them were neither Disney experts (well, far from the ones on here) nor necessarily design prodigies; they felt more like ordinary designers that happened to have the run of the most prestigious themed design company in the world. Several seemed to have been hired full-time as interns and planned on moving on after a few years. Perhaps I was repeatedly encountering the wrong bunch, I would love for someone with more knowledge to correct me. It would certainly make me feel better.

KingdomofDreams

What a shame. WDW, and especially Epcot, isn't a cheap carnival. There is so much more to this than just design knowledge. A little good taste would go a long way, but beyond that, these people seem to have no grasp of what makes the Disney magic. And the real shame is, it's not being lost. It's being sold out.

Vegas Disney Fan

Now that I've seen pictures showing larger sections painted I'm starting to like the look. It brings some pop to an otherwise boring facade devoid of any color. I'm curious to see what the final product looks like.

Kman101

It looks awful. REALLY Awful. Can anyone give any more details about this 'makeover'? And what more there is to it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom