Reopen Disneyland Rally - Saturday, March 13th at 8 AM

Old Mouseketeer

Totally wrong.

If the recall qualifies, then the Lt. Governor is required to set the election between 60 and 80 days from the notification.

But the ballot comes in two parts.

The first question is, Do you want to recall Governor Newsom? A Yes vote is to remove him from office.

The second question is, If the recall is successful, who should replace him?

It is expected that around 100 people will place their name on the ballot.

The person with the most votes, no majority needed, will become the new Governor.

This is how the State got Governor Arnold!

I was stating an opinion based on a perceived ambiguity I heard identified during the Gray Davis recall. You are correct about how it has been interpreted, but then Lt. Gov. Bustamante considered filing a lawsuit, and ultimately declined based on some combination of not have a strong case and bad optics in filing a suit that he would benefit from. However, my preference would be for the Lt. Gov. to succeed, not elect a replacement. YMMV.

Mmoore29

I tried to help organize rallies for the effort to get Disney to rehire James Gunn on this site, and to make a rally to demand the removal of Alan Horn. More people care about the park opening than getting rid of Iger's worst hire (seriously, why does Iger think the opposite?). What gives?

Emmanuel

Checked the FB page for the rally. The organizer has said that the rally will continue as planned

They did made it clear that they want no political signs at the rally though i'm pretty sure some will try anyway. Essentially all signs should be in support of the reopening and small businesses.

TP2000

So it turns out, it's actually not super difficult to get enough signatures from random people to get something on a ballot if you have enough money. It is a whole different matter to actually be successful in your efforts to get someone recalled. If they can't even get Orange County onboard, then all they've really proved is that they have found a new way to burn a lot of money with nothing to show for it.

I have lots of friends in OC who have signed the petition, and some down in San Diego who have signed. I also signed it months ago.

None I know are under any illusion that Newsom will actually be replaced by this with someone new in September. We just want to damage him politically so that he disappears for at least a decade like Grey Davis did. There is no Arnold Schwarzenneger this time to replace him. But preventing him from running for President in '24 while he pretended he did a great job in California was enough to get me to sign.

Also... George Skelton at the LA Times. Oof! That guy has been a propaganda hack and smarmy kiss-up to liberal Sacramento Dems for over 40 years. Take anything he writes with a huge chunk of salt. :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

In my head:
1615133085735.gif

Reality:
1615133246493.jpeg

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I was stating an opinion based on a perceived ambiguity I heard identified during the Gray Davis recall. You are correct about how it has been interpreted, but then Lt. Gov. Bustamante considered filing a lawsuit, and ultimately declined based on some combination of not have a strong case and bad optics in filing a suit that he would benefit from. However, my preference would be for the Lt. Gov. to succeed, not elect a replacement. YMMV.

I just thought of one way Lt. Governor Eleni Kounalakis could become the next Governor, insuring a Republican doesn't get the office.

If Governor Newsom resigns, the recall is cancelled, and then Eleni would succeed and takes over.

I thought about this when reading about Governor Cuomo, but he wouldn't face a recall, he is being asked to resign. Or he might be impeached.

Nirya

I have lots of friends in OC who have signed the petition, and some down in San Diego who have signed. I also signed it months ago.

None I know are under any illusion that Newsom will actually be replaced by this with someone new in September. We just want to damage him politically so that he disappears for at least a decade like Grey Davis did. There is no Arnold Schwarzenneger this time to replace him. But preventing him from running for President in '24 while he pretended he did a great job in California was enough to get me to sign.

Also... George Skelton at the LA Times. Oof! That guy has been a propaganda hack and smarmy kiss-up to liberal Sacramento Dems for over 40 years. Take anything he writes with a huge chunk of salt. :rolleyes:

I mean, if y'all are just going to admit that the goal of the recall is to damage a Democrat politically (and considering this recall attempt started last year before the pandemic, it's a pretty easy assumption to make) then it's hard to really take you seriously. But I guess that would be par for the course.

Communicora

Premium Member

Keep your chin up, perhaps Meghan Markle will throw her tiara into the ring!

castleparker

I mean, if y'all are just going to admit that the goal of the recall is to damage a Democrat politically (and considering this recall attempt started last year before the pandemic, it's a pretty easy assumption to make) then it's hard to really take you seriously. But I guess that would be par for the course.
Yeah that's pretty much all they can do here in California. But it's pretty much wishful thinking at this point. Like others have said the American voters have a very short memory, and if recent events are an indication of anything, it's that a failed recall effort pales in comparison to other scandals that have not had an effect on a candidate's electability.

TP2000

I just thought of one way Lt. Governor Eleni Kounalakis could become the next Governor, insuring a Republican doesn't get the office.

If Governor Newsom resigns, the recall is cancelled, and then Eleni would succeed and takes over.

I thought about this when reading about Governor Cuomo, but he wouldn't face a recall, he is being asked to resign. Or he might be impeached.

Interesting theory! But your post was most interesting to me because that's the first time I've seen our Lt. Governors name. I had no idea it was a woman, or that she had an interesting name like Eleni Kounalakis. Who knew?! 🤣

I'm just being honest in stating my intentions for signing. A lot of liberal Democrats have also signed it, but I have no idea what their reasoning is. I'm sure many people think he'll actually be thrown out via the Recall, but I have no such illusions that will happen.

Personally, I'd just like to see his political career ended so he and First Partner can go run a boutique winery together in silence.

The California Constitution allows Recall Elections to be mounted by citizens, and my freedom of assembly and speech rights allow me to sign the petition if I agree with it. If your country doesn't allow such rights to citizens, then so be it. But that's how it's done here in California. The last time we recalled a sitting Governor and replaced him was in 2003.

Last edited:

TP2000

Yeah that's pretty much all they can do here in California. But it's pretty much wishful thinking at this point. Like others have said the American voters have a very short memory, and if recent events are an indication of anything, it's that a failed recall effort pales in comparison to other scandals that have not had an effect on a candidate's electability.

Many voters have a short memory. The media and the national political parties don't.

That's why Teddy Kennedy couldn't run for President in '72 or '76, and he just resigned himself that he could only get elected to something in Massachusetts.

There was more in Teddy's sunken Oldsmobile in July, 1969 than just a dead blonde; his national political career was killed too.

If a Recall Election gets on the ballot this fall, that's enough. Gavin Newsom's name will be toxic to the DNC when it's time for them to start pulling together VP and Presidential candidates in '23. And '27.

TP2000

Oh jeez.... there's another one of these?

I dont really see a reason to still do it because of the announcement... which wasn't really news to begin with either. At this point, this protest is even more useless than the first one. (Not to bash on the event organizers or attendees but I dont get the point now).

Yeah, there's another one. And at the ungodly hour of 8AM on a Saturday.

Even at Noon there's not much point to this. The organizers need to rethink their strategies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom