Rent a stroller or bring own for 4 and 8yr olds

SarahG

Original Poster
We are going to Disney in late April and are having a really tough time deciding what to do for a stroller. My husband seems to think we won't need one at all. I really think the 4yr old will want one and possibly our 8yr old. 4yr old is around 45lbs and 8yr old is around 75lbs.
I am looking to buy a single stroller that holds up to 70lbs, but would it be better to rent a Disney double? What would you do? We will be there for 6 days, staying at the Polynesian resort.

disneyrcks

We are going to Disney in late April and are having a really tough time deciding what to do for a stroller. My husband seems to think we won't need one at all. I really think the 4yr old will want one and possibly our 8yr old. 4yr old is around 45lbs and 8yr old is around 75lbs.
I am looking to buy a single stroller that holds up to 70lbs, but would it be better to rent a Disney double? What would you do? We will be there for 6 days, staying at the Polynesian resort.

There is a lot of walking in a Disney vacation so a stroller may make it more comfortable. I am not a mom so I am not sure of stroller sizes but would an 8 year old fit into a stroller comfortably? If not, I would say you are staying at a resort that gives you a great location to take a midday rest. Are you flying or driving? If flying a rental may be easier so you do not have to travel with a stroller but if you are driving and can bring a stroller that may be your best bet.

mrsdanalind

There is a lot of walking in a Disney vacation so a stroller may make it more comfortable. I am not a mom so I am not sure of stroller sizes but would an 8 year old fit into a stroller comfortably? If not, I would say you are staying at a resort that gives you a great location to take a midday rest. Are you flying or driving? If flying a rental may be easier so you do not have to travel with a stroller but if you are driving and can bring a stroller that may be your best bet.

I am a mom and believe me a stroller is a MUST have on a Disney Trip. We used one for our youngest until she was about 8 or 9. I would bring a fold up one for the youngest, and play it by ear for the oldest. The hardest thing is finding a place to park them when you stop for a ride or a meal. At 8, our youngest was able to walk the parks with no problem, in fact we had a problem keeping up with her. :D
If the oldest gets cranky there is always a trip back to the resort for a swim break, especially if the youngest is still napping. The Poly is only a few steps from MK and a short bus ride from the other parks, (epcot is a monorail ride back, how cool is that!!).
We are going in December with our kids and grand kids and hopefully with my mom who's never been to WDW

real mad hatter

The Wacky and the Weird!

Strange but true,our first trip back in 2004,our son was six then,walked us off our feet.If we even suggested putting him in a stroller I reckon he would have told us where to shove it.On saying that,I've seen families walking around the parks with what looks like ten year olds in these buggies :eek:Must be a different culture thing,either that or the Scots porridge oats really do work.:ROFLOL:

Philhar-Fanatic

Our first trip our kids were 6 and 7 and they walked with us for 7 days. We also take a midday break though to give everyone a rest. As far as the strollers go, I can't speak from experience but I can relate what I've seen over the years. If you are riding disney transportation I'd RENT the stroller at the parks. I've seen couples get in disagreements over strollers not folding up and all of the things that are packed inside the stroller are sitting there with no one to cary it. All this while trying to get on the bus. Just seems so much easier to me to rent a stroller, then you don't have to worry about lugging it around. Now with that being said, I have no idea what the cost daily is of renting a stroller. If you have your own transportation I'd say go with your comfy stroller that your child is used to.

dopeylover

We have a 1 yr old, and we brought our own jogging stroller w/ us and were very happy. They gave us zero problem on the plane, and it was not the most fun, but not horrible folding it up for the buses 2 or 3 times a day, but it was a LOT cheaper than renting, and the extra room underneath was much needed! We never had a problem finding a place to store it while riding or dining.

The REALLY bad part was finding out CBR had NO ELEVATORS to our 2nd floor room!!! Had I known, I would have requested a 1st floor for sure b/c my husband had no fun taking it up and down a flight of stairs twice a day. They did offer to move us, but by that time we were completely unpacked and for 5 of us to re-pack and move w. an infant would have been much more trouble!

Can I also suggest buying a small fan for the stroller? We bought one for our DDs, and it really helped to keep her cool, and practically every parent stopped us to ask where we bought it. We bought ours off of Amazon for like 10 bucks, and it was a tantrum saver for sure.

Have a blast!

sweetpee_1993

I've walked the WDW parks since I was 6. Maybe a single stroller to cut down the bulk? The younger kiddo will likely want to walk some giving the older sibling a chance to sit. A few breaks and I think they'd be fine. Renting from off-site places might be a better option if you do choose to rent. That way you have it with you between resorts & parks. :wave:

babydonald

Know your Child

The first thing I would say is, know you child. I have a 2 and 6 year old. Once my youngest outgrew the Baby Bjorn, I bought the Sit and Stand double stroller. There is a lot of walking at Disney, resorts as well as Parks and Downtown Disney. The rental strollers are made for older kids but are not all that comfortable and only available at the Parks. We go several times a year and I always bring my own stroller. It is more comfortable for my kids, provides storage space for non-valuables and cups holders. I can also let the kids help "decorate" the stroller so ours stands out. My 6 yo is not yet ready to walk the entire MK or Epcot Park yet, especially later at night when he is tired. Good luck and enjoy your trip either way!

Gig 'Em Mickey

I wouldn't rent a disney stroller. There are other places that you can rent from that will give you real strollers you keep for the entire length of your stay and they will deliver to your hotel. Forget who we used, but I will try to find out and post back. usually cheaper than renting in the park too.

JillC LI

I am a mom and believe me a stroller is a MUST have on a Disney Trip. We used one for our youngest until she was about 8 or 9.

I must respectfully disagree. It depends on the children. Our kids were 5 and 7 on the first Disney trip, and they did not need a stroller for one minute. They are, however, great walkers and had gone on many several mile beach walks and walks over the Brooklyn Bridge with us by then. We also planned our day wisely to give them breaks, trying to throw in something like PhilHarmagic or Muppets 3D as well as food breaks in between long lines and other attractions so they could sit a bit. They never complained once, and we were in the parks from opening til closing every day for 5 days!

Rob562

I don't have kids, so I can't speak as a parent, but 8 years old is what...2nd grade? I can't imagine myself at that age needing a stroller for anything. At 4 years old sure, but not 8.

My first trip to WDW was in 3rd grade when I was 9, and I walked the entire time. Heck, we visited Disneyland when I was in kindergarden (so about 6 years old) and I do not remember a stroller being involved.

-Rob

Buried20KLeague

I say this with all due respect...

An 8 year old should NEVER need a stroller in the Disney parks, unless there's a physical issue present.

A 4 year old is borderline.

We've had three kids, 2 of which made their first trip without a stroller when they were 4, and one of which is 3 and is just about to make her last trip with her stroller. Even at 3, all three of our kids spent a great deal of time walking and not even in the stroller. We'd park it somewhere and not see it for 3 and 4 hours at a time... Till it was needed.

Without fail, they were perfectly fine and even took pride in being "big girls".

8 year olds in strollers are a huge part of the clogged walkway issues all over property. It's just too much.

my opinion is that you won't need one. at least in my case my 3 and 5 year olds didn't. there are plenty of chances is sit and rest and my kids were having too much fun to complain about their legs getting tired. come to think of it, the only time they did was when my wife and i wanted to go into shops:lol: . to me the thought of pushing around an 8 year old is crazy. have a good trip

SarahG

Original Poster
I understand that everyone has their own opinions and different ways of parenting. I was simply asking if it was worth it to rent a stroller or bring my own. We went to Disney when our 8yr old was 5 and she used the stroller a lot at that time. I don't expect her to use it all day every day during this trip but I know there will be times when she will want to use it. If my child is tired, I am not going to make her keep walking. We are from cooler temps as well so the heat can be a bit much sometimes too.

I have seen many older children in strollers at Disney. Personally, I would rather my child be in the stroller instead of throwing a tantrum and crying because she's too tired to walk any further.
Thank you for your opinions though!

ladydi

Since you're staying at the Poly, I'd rent a double stroller from Disney on the days you are doing the bigger parks (AK and Epcot). You could bring your single stroller for the younger child in MK and DHS. The kids could switch off in the single stroller at the smaller parks.

melmood2000

If I was staying at the polly and was in your situation I would rent a single stroller from Kingdom Stroller for your 4 year old (there City Elite has a 75 pound weight limit). Then your 8 year old would have the option of using the stroller if they were to get tired. Renting from Kingdom Stroller is cheeper then renting from Disney and you can bring there stroller any where you go. I would be using the boat or the Monorail as transportation so I wouldn't have to worry about having to fold the stroller.

Ultimately you are the only one who could make the judgment weather it would be to much walking and you could always rent from disney if you little one is having a hard day. Just a little info, I have heard that the average guest walks 10 miles a day while visiting the parks. Wow 10 miles for a 4 year old.

mousefan1972

My 8 year old would be absolutely horrified at the idea that she use a stroller in WDW, or anywhere for that matter. Have you asked your 8 year old if they even want a stroller? Since strollers are for babies, as my 6 year old says, I can't imagine they would.

I'd bring a Mac Volo or similar lightweight umbrella stroller for your 4 year old. Your 8 year old should not need a stroller, unless he or she has some type of medical issue.

EcstaticMom

I think strollers are fine up to 5 years old. But for older kids, there are strollers that have special features where Stroller allows younger child in the front while and older child sits or stands in the rear. But it is still you can decide whether or not strollers are ideal =)

Disneykidder

You could rent one of the Disney blue double strollers in case you need it plus you can hold stuff in it but an 8 year old can certainly walk the parks. My son is 8 and I wouldn't dream of renting a stroller for him, nor would he want to be in one. Even when we went to theme parks when he was 5 he was done with them.

hiptwinmama

Stollers

We have twin 5 year old's (returning to disney again for 6th birthday soon).

We find it much easier just to rent strollers at the parks. There are good days where the kids want to walk and skip around. The last thing you want it to push and empty stroller all day. There are also long days where you really want the stroller. It leaves the choice up to you.

Getting strollers on and off us Disney buses can be a real challenge, so can holding them on a bus full of people. Rented strollers are left at the park, so no transportation of them is required.

Also, if you have 2 parents to push the strollers. I recommend 2 single strollers instead of a double. It is only a$1-2 dollars difference that getting 1 double stroller. 2 hot, grumpy, sleep kids in the same stroller can be a recipe for fighting and annoying each other.

I like getting strollers at Animal Kingdom and Epcot, because there can be a lot of walking between attractions. I also recommend them if you are staying in the parks late at night. Late nights in the park are magical and kids love it. The stroller gives them a break to rest so they can keep going.... happily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom