News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

ToTBellHop

I'm pretty sure they'll rebuild the cathedral.
Of course they will as long as the bell tower doesn’t collapse, which seems to be a distinct possibility. Hopefully the damage will end up being mostly limited to the roof and 19th century spire, but it seems more likely that damage to the interior will be devastating. It's a medieval masterpiece so referring to it while discussing a theme park ride is probably in poor taste. At least wait 'til the fire is out...

Even if they rebuild, 14th century artwork is irreplaceable.

Last edited:

Bender123

Who's joking?

Scene: Iger sitting at his comically large evil desk...

Bob: That cathedral burned down? Tell the construction crew to set fire to Rat...it will cost far les than finishing that ride and we can call the burned out shell an authentic looking festival space that captures the feel of Notre Dame. We can charge $300 to take pictures with a charred Hunchback and serve Coke.

LittleBuford

Scene: Iger sitting at his comically large evil desk...

Bob: That cathedral burned down? Tell the construction crew to set fire to Rat...it will cost far les than finishing that ride and we can call the burned out shell an authentic looking festival space that captures the feel of Notre Dame. We can charge $300 to take pictures with a charred Hunchback and serve Coke.

And we’ve gone from “probably in poor taste” to all-out crass.

Animaniac93-98

(I believe The Timekeeper also had the twin towers in the background of one of the scenes after 9/11 as well that they never changed)

Timekeeper got around this by changing the start date of the show (displayed on the clock in front of the title character) to 2000.

Prior to that it was set to whatever the current year was.

WowFactor

LittleBuford

It looks like the belfries are saved and that the damage to the artwork and interior was minimal despite the immense damage to the roof. Hopefully the flying buttresses hold up long enough for the reconstruction.

It’s important to note that the roof and vault are separate entities. What’s lost is the former, which was made of wood and included a lot of nineteenth-century reconstruction. The vault, by contrast, is stone and still stands almost entirely intact (the marvels of medieval engineering). I’m thrilled that the building is in better shape than some reports were suggesting.

ETA: I think “largely intact” is a more accurate description than “almost entirely intact”.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

It’s important to note that the roof and vault are separate entities. What’s lost is the former, which was made of wood and included a lot of nineteenth-century reconstruction. The vault, by contrast, is stone and still stands almost entirely intact (the marvels of medieval engineering). I’m thrilled that the building is in better shape than some reports were suggesting.
I’m not joking when I say I almost fainted when I saw the aerial photo. Unfortunately the vault has a hole where the spire fell.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

ETA: I think “largely intact” is a more accurate description than “almost entirely intact”.
I was surprised to find in my research that this is the first time the roof burned off. Other cathedrals have not been so lucky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom