News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

lazyboy97o

It's been said countless times, but are we really surprised by the backstage views when the approach to Disney's Animal Kingdom by bus is a giant factory and "floating" rocks on sticks? One doesn't excuse the other of course. It just shows the idea of protecting views from outside the park has been toast for a while and it's disintegrating from within the parks as well.
Except that the placement of Ratatouille and the long walk of nothingness were very much driven by the views from the Skyliner.

Little Green Men

This is a powerful example of how current Disney isn't taking the holistic experience into account anymore.

Think of The Magic Kingdom, with carefully-planned views of the distant castle from the TTC, etc., to create that celebrated "arrival experience."

Passing in front of massive, totally un-hidden backstage buildings as part of your arrival experience to a Disney theme park is worse than I suspect current Disney decision-makers realize (or they don't care, as long as it doesn't have a substantial impact in the short-term). I used to notice this at Universal parks, and think "this is one of the things that makes them feel cheaper and less immersive than Disney" - oh well.

The holistic experience is a major part of what made Disney different - something that should be more valuable to them today than ever before, considering their competition.
Or think of the MK skyway and it’s awful show......

Marc Davis Fan

Except that the placement of Ratatouille and the long walk of nothingness were very much driven by the views from the Skyliner.

This is interesting. Can you explain further? They placed it like that for the purpose of being visible from the Skyliner?

When I originally heard about Ratatouille being a tentative addition, I imagined that the entrance was going to be the current Impressions de France / BatB entrance (and the exit being the current IdF/BatB exit), with the ride located immediately behind the France pavilion and thus requiring no new façades. Ironically, that might have made the Skyliner view better, since it would have avoided views of where the on-stage façades end / backstage begins (it would have just looked like an uninteresting green building, without "spoiling" any "magic").

Now imagine that the MK skyway's views constituted the park's arrival experience...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, the expansion area is formerly backstage area that would have been prominently visible from the Skyliner. It was turned into onstage area in part to clean up the view.
Backstage is still visible; it’s a valid argument what is visible of backstage looks worse than previously. An accepted problem with Skyliner in the development stage were the backstage views.

As it is, cleaning up with the Rat expansion fell apart when they decided not to turf the QSR and restroom roofs.

castlecake2.0

Backstage is still visible; it’s a valid argument what is visible of backstage looks worse than previously. An accepted problem with Skyliner in the development stage were the backstage views.

As it is, cleaning up with the Rat expansion fell apart when they decided not to turf the QSR and restroom roo

is there any landscaping to be done at least? I’ve noticed in my travels on the skyliner the last couple days there’s lots of areas where landscaping was cleared for the skyliner route and then looks like horticulture never came back around to fix it. Clean up the area and plant some trees and it would at least look like they cared.

Animaniac93-98

Yeah, it was totally just as bad... :rolleyes:

1609631943979.png

1609632093309.png

Animaniac93-98

Little Green Men

None of your example are as egregious and the last one only lasted a couples years before a QS restaurant was built.

To say nothing of 50 years of progress in theme design...or price hikes.

But keep up the whataboutisms.
Ok well that’s the point, they both opened with poor views that got covered up by new additions and trees with time.

whataboutisms? Lol what? 😂

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Those who arrive at EPCOT via monorail or boat do not get such hideous backstage views.

You'd think they price hikes at the now Skyliner hotels and park tickets could pay for something more presentable.
Instead, they get to see a magical parking lot of rainbow unicorns and rooftops of industrial dream machines!!

The Empress Lilly

The MK skyway showed in-park rooftops and showbuildings. Distracting of the magic. I was always disappointed as a kid. :'(
But you didn't see the MK backside. That remained all but hidden from view (as it still is from the railroad, minus a few parts). Plus a tunnel system help a lot to keep an area tidy.

EPCOT Center hid all its ugly rear views from guests, every single one. Nothing could be seen, except later for a few views of the Seas, but that was really just its more unflattering sides rather than backstage.

It is perhaps somewhat acceptable if a later addition like the Skyliner infringe upon this holistic design. But it is a bit daft if the very solution creates more problems than it tries to solve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom