News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

CinematicFusion

Similar to the 9/11 crisis. Disney lost money and budgets for projects are often scaled back and they get cancelled and delayed for a long time.

Journey of Water will definitely get axed. And Mary Poppins in the UK. And no more rumors of a new Figment ride revamp.

EPCOT will become IPCOT with possibly cheap reskins of every ride.

Look at past downturns as a guide. Disney will slow down projects until they get back on their feet. Stock is trading under 90 as I write this.
Walt Disney Co. (DIS) has raised almost $6 billion in a debt offering, as the impact of the coronavirus outbreak is putting its cash flow position under strain.
So depending on how long this lasts can delay, cancel, slow down production on a ton of things Disney from theme parks to their tv shows and movies. But... Disney will be back in action again, just like it was after 08 financial crisis, 9/11.

_caleb

After the discussion about some of the, um, interesting choices being made with the theming of the back of the pavilion (windoor, I’m looking at you), I went back and looked at the photos from @wdwmagic’s Ratatouille construction gallery. It seems to me that they’re trying to pull off a pretty complicated visual trick to blend a transition from “idealized-but-realistic” typical of World Showcase to ”straight out of the animated film” like we find at Cars Land in DCA. Take a look at this photo:

1E6E8538-126F-402A-9BC2-397964366BE8.jpeg

At the bottom left of the photo, we see the street level view from the plaza, where the design is idealized, but realistic. Straight lines, realistic proportions. As the eye moves up and to the right towards the Gusteau's sign, the design becomes more and more exaggerated and cartoony. The bent chimneys and droopy pots seem to take their cues from the movie. The flats behind/above, which I initially wrote off as being poorly done, seem to make a lot more sense (the crooked downspout, the sagging rooflines) if they’re actually supposed to be less realistic and more like a background from the film.

Whether it works to draw guests into the cartoon world of the ride remains to be seen, but it makes sense to me. Thoughts?

ppete1975

Hogsmeade at Islands of Adventure did it in a space just as small as Epcot France with no fake flats or semi-3D illusions at all. All the facades and rooflines appear to be fully 3D and the backstage is covered just fine. Different standards.

I think I can summarize Disney's attitude:

"But ... you're getting a new ride!"
but were the budgets the same? or expectations? I see Hogsmeade as their star wars equivalent (blockbuster ride, budget be damned) where rat I never felt was supposed to be a blockbuster but more of the mickey and Minnie c d ticket. In my opinion not everything has to be an E ticket we need more b c and ds to fill out the parks and spread out the people.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
but were the budgets the same? or expectations? I see Hogsmeade as their star wars equivalent (blockbuster ride, budget be damned) where rat I never felt was supposed to be a blockbuster but more of the mickey and Minnie c d ticket. In my opinion not everything has to be an E ticket we need more b c and ds to fill out the parks and spread out the people.
Showcase was a pinnacle in design and detail. Any addition should surely complement that.

lazyboy97o

:joyfull: Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmead was done for a pittance. Ratatouille has the size, scale and cost of an E-Ticket. It should not be excused as something that should be much smaller and cheaper.

Josh Hendy

Clearly the budgets and (corporate) expectations were different. That's the whole point. But what are the public's expectations? If Paris looks cheap and improvised to paying customers on the ground at Epcot compared to when they visit Hogsmeade, I'm not sure if they're going to be so blasé about it. "It's OK this isn't a super headliner ride after all."

_caleb

Hogsmeade at Islands of Adventure did it in a space just as small as Epcot France with no fake flats or semi-3D illusions at all. All the facades and rooflines appear to be fully 3D and the backstage is covered just fine. Different standards.

I think I can summarize Disney's attitude:

"But ... you're getting a new ride!"

The transition from IOA to Hogsmeade is abrupt and begins at the Potterland gate. At Daigon Alley, the transition is literally a brick wall.

I can't see any defense for doing the 2D backdrop wall. I'm just seeing an attempt at a thematic transition from "World-Showcase-idealized" realism to "Straight-out-of-the-Pixar-film." They certainly could have made the transition more like the abrupt and contained Potter Lands (the Hosgmeade Gate or the Brick Wall). Maybe with a hard transition at the Ratatouille Metro Station sign? Of course, this area does have some visibility from outside the France pavilion.

This isn't an immersive Ratatouille land, it's the France Pavilion in World Showcase with a Ratatouille ride incorporated.

Last edited:

Josh Hendy

But they made the 2D flats 3D on the map.
Ok ... I had to re-check to find the location of the 2D flats. They are highly visible from the Skyliner but it's not clear to me whether they'll be visible from the ground when walking towards the entrance to Remy (at the red X). They might be mostly hidden by the 3D facade.

So far I haven't seen any sign that the green exterior of the show building will get any theming, decoration or landscaping (trees) on the southwest or southeast sides which will be visible from the Skyliner. I have no idea what the show building will look like from the direction of the lagoon.
20200326_162402.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom