News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Incomudro

Yes I'm hoping for at least a bit of 'cut out' detail....some cornice, shutters and window sills would help a lot. I'm also reminding myself that the closer we get distance-wise, the less of the 'flats' we will see. I think when standing in front of the attraction you will only see the tippy-tops of some of the roofs/chimneys.

Yeah, it doesn't look like you'll have the viewing angle to see that flat portion from down on the ground in France.
Or at least not much of it.
Looks like you'll be seeing it from across the canal primarily.

Timothy_Q

Yeah, it doesn't look like you'll have the viewing angle to see that flat portion from down on the ground in France.
Marni said there will be a berm of trees still, so we might not see much from IG either

lazyboy97o

It can be seen being built behind the current pavilion. It’ll be visible from the restrooms where people first see the attraction.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That appears to be a parapet that has had additional facades built onto it to add depth. If you look closely you can see the plane of the parapet as nothing go behind it and everything sort of does return to it. In the case of Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, the parapet for the main show building will all be flat and painted. Looking directly at it may work well, but other views such as when it appears behind the existing pavilion, will be a bigger challenge.
Say hello to this parapet...

FerretAfros

I'm curious how convincing the flat backdrop on top of the Rat show building will look. While there's a long history of Disney's excellent use of forced perspective to create "distant" buildings, I can't recall Disney ever employing actual flats outside of the "studio park" context. (I'm sure someone will correct me, in which case I'm interested to see if that came out well.)
Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland and TDL uses painted flats in the "downtown" are to hide the taller roofs of the Gag Factory store and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin ride. They're the maroon and grey skyline poking up above the dimensional facades seen here:

In this scenario it works fine, mostly because they're only visible from a few very specific locations where the eye isn't naturally drawn to those parts of the structure (or even the structures in general), and because the land's cartoonish aesthetic allows a departure from realism. Additionally, the land at DL is largely surrounded by layered flats of hills that are used to obscure the iasw show building, TDA parking structure, and other backstage facilities, so the flat buildings fit the general atmosphere of the area.

It remains to be seen how effective painted flats will be in Epcot, where they will be more visible on the main approach to the new attraction, and in an area that strives for a higher level of realism. I fear that it may be similar to the layered castle ramparts in the Fantasyland courtyard at Magic Kingdom [Edit: this was made far more visible with the Fantasyland Expansion changes to the plaza] and TDL, which helps minimize the scale of some of the buildings, but does little to convince guests it's anything other than a generic warehouse structure.

I'm also curious what they'll do about the building's southern side, which will be plainly visible from the Skyliner. It's currently covered in green pre-fab panels (indicating no plans for a surface treatment), and there doesn't appear to be space for a substantial landscaping buffer between it and the service road

Last edited:

brihow

Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland and TDL uses painted flats in the "downtown" are to hide the taller roofs of the Gag Factory store and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin ride. They're the maroon and grey skyline poking up above the dimensional facades seen here:
View attachment 395013
In this scenario it works fine, mostly because they're only visible from a few very specific locations where the eye isn't naturally drawn to those parts of the structure (or even the structures in general), and because the land's cartoonish aesthetic allows a departure from realism. Additionally, the land at DL is largely surrounded by layered flats of hills that are used to obscure the iasw show building, TDA parking structure, and other backstage facilities, so the flat buildings fit the general atmosphere of the area.

It remains to be seen how effective painted flats will be in Epcot, where they will be more visible on the main approach to the new attraction, and in an area that strives for a higher level of realism. I fear that it may be similar to the layered castle ramparts in the Fantasyland courtyard at Magic Kingdom and TDL, which helps minimize the scale of some of the buildings, but does little to convince guests it's anything other than a generic warehouse structure.
View attachment 395017

I'm also curious what they'll do about the building's southern side, which will be plainly visible from the Skyliner. It's currently covered in green pre-fab panels (indicating no plans for a surface treatment), and there doesn't appear to be space for a substantial landscaping buffer between it and the service road

Some ivy or similar crawler would do wonders over that PhilharMagic building!

eddie104

Is Soarin in Tokyo the first show building that Disney decided to enclose completely like that because I can't think of any other examples ?

Timothy_Q

Is Soarin in Tokyo the first show building that Disney decided to enclose completely like that because I can't think of any other examples ?
There's a bunch

Some big rides that are entirely themed from all sides:
Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Matterhorn, Spaceship Earth, Big Thunder, JttCotE, 7DMT

Tokyo's Soarin isn't completely themed on all sides though.
Similar to some other rides that have only a couple of sides of the building themed:
MK's Mermaid, Pirates, Everest, Pandora, RSR, SWGE, TDS Indy, Splash

GlacierGlacier

There's a bunch

Some big rides that are entirely themed from all sides:
Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Matterhorn, Spaceship Earth, Big Thunder, JttCotE, 7DMT

Tokyo's Soarin isn't completely themed on all sides though.
Similar to some other rides that have only a couple of sides of the building themed:
MK's Mermaid, Pirates, Everest, Pandora, RSR, SWGE, TDS Indy, Splash
Like you've said, show-buildings that are fully built inside fanciful structures are the exception, not the rule. It just doesn't make sense to build any more than a guest would see - there is no back to everest because it's invisible from inside the park. No back to Pandora because of the same reason. No back to mission space because (outside of test track, which just exposes everything (Mexico, WoL, M:S, Norway)) of the same reason.

The line of guest sight vs finances is so interesting. My favorite example is in New Fantasyland - the backstage gate between Storybook Circus and Mermaid has what looks to be a wall of rocks stretching over and behind it. Except those rocks stop right at the point where guests can't see them anymore - they hang in the air, looking ridiculous from backstage, but the illusion works perfectly for guests.

The sides of AA get less and less detailed the further back you get on the building, with each side having some extra detailing on the top edge thanks to the neighboring pavilions.

brihow

The line of guest sight vs finances is so interesting. My favorite example is in New Fantasyland - the backstage gate between Storybook Circus and Mermaid has what looks to be a wall of rocks stretching over and behind it. Except those rocks stop right at the point where guests can't see them anymore - they hang in the air, looking ridiculous from backstage, but the illusion works perfectly for guests.

I had to look this up to see what you meant - that's fascinating!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not sure I understand what you're saying. If 2D wasn't a test, does that mean it's a permanent change to 2D? The DLP website refers to Rat as a 4D experience.
I believe technical issues caused them to take it to 2D...
Indeed. It was 2D for a few days due to technical issues. I can verify it was all 3D again at the start of June.

wserratore1963

Really curious about what we will see at the end of the month. Im planning on being there end of august through 1st week Sept. Hope some of the walk ways will be open- maybe a skyline soft opening at EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom