News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Legit question - as long as the 4 FL parks each rank in the top 5 attendance-wise, what difference does it make if Epcot, AK, DHS are 3,4,5 ... 4,3,5 ... 5,4,3 ?

Epcot is seen as a more premiere park and has a lot more capacity than the other parks. If it falls to last place, then it will be clear that something is wrong both within Disney and among the park biz world.

Jambo Joe

The courtyard sight lines should be obscured using structures, decor and dressing. The view from the skyliner was a problem they thought was worth living with.

The trees I mentioned will aid sightlines from the IG and associated walkway.
Thanks for the update. We have been speculating about a possible fix for the sky liner view for a long time. I imagine some of us are disappointed they couldn’t figure out a solution - myself included. However when I really think about some of the views we see from the monorails - there are plenty of backstage views evident.

jt04

Thanks for the update. We have been speculating about a possible fix for the sky liner view for a long time. I imagine some of us are disappointed they couldn’t figure out a solution - myself included. However when I really think about some of the views we see from the monorails - there are plenty of backstage views evident.

This is also true of the WDWRR and original MK Skyway.

Marc Davis Fan

I'm curious how convincing the flat backdrop on top of the Rat show building will look. While there's a long history of Disney's excellent use of forced perspective to create "distant" buildings, I can't recall Disney ever employing actual flats outside of the "studio park" context. (I'm sure someone will correct me, in which case I'm interested to see if that came out well.)

Flynnwriter

Looking forward to this! Does anyone know if they are going 2D or 3D with the projection? In France they recently tested non-3D with guests raised on the 3D version. The ride is hindered by the 3D since it dramatically takes away from the sets and lighting.

Flynnwriter

Yes. There was also a water management permit for this area.

The backside of the theater is shown in the art. There is no need to remove it for this project.

That was the original title for France too, so it could change again.
It will not be Kitchen Calamity, given 80% of visitors wouldn’t have any idea of the meaning of “calamity.”

Bocabear

I'm curious how convincing the flat backdrop on top of the Rat show building will look. While there's a long history of Disney's excellent use of forced perspective to create "distant" buildings, I can't recall Disney ever employing actual flats outside of the "studio park" context. (I'm sure someone will correct me, in which case I'm interested to see if that came out well.)
It seems like an exceptionally cheap way to fix a problem... They really need to invest the money and do it the way it should be done...Under current leadership the Japan Pavilion would have been a giant restaurant and store with a billboard cutout of the palace...

Epcot_Imagineer

It seems like an exceptionally cheap way to fix a problem... They really need to invest the money and do it the way it should be done...Under current leadership the Japan Pavilion would have been a giant restaurant and store with a billboard cutout of the palace...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the highest level of Disney Sea's Soaring show building employs a flat backdrop in a similar way. And from the non-stop articles and post I see praising the building, I'd venture to say it was convincing. Let me try and find an image.

The portion I am talking about is circled. Obviously, the tower-esque portions that jut out significantly wouldn't be used, but I believe insiders confirmed that these wouldn't be flat paintings, but with details like shutters and bricks like these have.

soaringdone.png

Last edited:

Bocabear

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the highest level of Disney Sea's Soaring show building employs a flat backdrop in a similar way. And from the non-stop articles and post I see praising the building, I'd venture to say it was convincing. Let me try and find an image.
I would love to see a compelling argument in favor of the billboard idea...
Looks like they built facades over the show building...

lazyboy97o

The portion I am talking about is circled. Obviously, the tower-esque portions that just out significantly wouldn't be used, but I believe insiders confirmed that these wouldn't be flat paintings, but with details like shutters and bricks like these have.

View attachment 394831
That appears to be a parapet that has had additional facades built onto it to add depth. If you look closely you can see the plane of the parapet as nothing go behind it and everything sort of does return to it. In the case of Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, the parapet for the main show building will all be flat and painted. Looking directly at it may work well, but other views such as when it appears behind the existing pavilion, will be a bigger challenge.

Epcot_Imagineer

That appears to be a parapet that has had additional facades built onto it to add depth. If you look closely you can see the plane of the parapet as nothing go behind it and everything sort of does return to it. In the case of Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, the parapet for the main show building will all be flat and painted. Looking directly at it may work well, but other views such as when it appears behind the existing pavilion, will be a bigger challenge.
Thank you for the correction. Is there something comparable to the Remy facade that you could point to as an example of what we might get? I'm trying to find something that would give everyone (including myself) a good frame of reference for the final product.

brihow

Thank you for the correction. Is there something comparable to the Remy facade that you could point to as an example of what we might get? I'm trying to find something that would give everyone (including myself) a good frame of reference for the final product.
Not exactly the same, but I'm hoping for some tromp l'oeil on the level of the Miracosta hotel in Disneysea in Tokyo. I was amazing when I was there how SO much of the detail was painted. I also added the painted buildings from NYC street in Hollywood Studios.

Attachments

• Facade_TDSea1_075.jpg
    Facade_TDSea1_075.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 202
  • nyc.jpg
    nyc.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 199

Epcot_Imagineer

Not exactly the same, but I'm hoping for some tromp l'oeil on the level of the Miracosta hotel in Disneysea in Tokyo. I was amazing when I was there how SO much of the detail was painted. I also added the painted buildings from NYC street in Hollywood Studios.
That is very interesting. Honestly not bad. I agree with the concerns of @lazyboy97o, but those wouldn't be terrible. It's just disappointing to see the impressive nature of Soaring's facades and to know we wont get something that elaborate.

Marc Davis Fan

I was also blown away by MiraCosta, but as you also said, MiraCosta is designed to look painted (i.e., they're not pretending it's real, but rather copying an Italian style of painted building).

My original post about this question said "except in studio parks" on the grounds that they're not aiming for the same level of believability (e.g., New York Street looked cool, but you were also supposed to know they were flats, unlike Rat building).

Considering that there doesn't seem to be precedent for something quite like a completely flat "billboard," maybe there will be three-dimensional decor on the backdrop after all?

brihow

I was also blown away by MiraCosta, but as you also said, MiraCosta is designed to look painted (i.e., they're not pretending it's real, but rather copying an Italian style of painted building).

My original post about this question said "except in studio parks" on the grounds that they're not aiming for the same level of believability (e.g., New York Street looked cool, but you were also supposed to know they were flats, unlike Rat building).

Considering that there doesn't seem to be precedent for something quite like a completely flat "billboard," maybe there will be three-dimensional decor on the backdrop after all?

Yes I'm hoping for at least a bit of 'cut out' detail....some cornice, shutters and window sills would help a lot. I'm also reminding myself that the closer we get distance-wise, the less of the 'flats' we will see. I think when standing in front of the attraction you will only see the tippy-tops of some of the roofs/chimneys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom