News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

danlb_2000

Premium Member
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/07/rat2340987FI.jpg

Relooking at this concept art- it makes France look incredible. Even without the ride itself, just the addition of the show building adds so much more height and detail to the area resulting in a significantly more immersive environment.

I've always said every country needs a restaurant and a legitimate attraction. Some could be a very good theater- like China or Canada- but the certainly needs more ride based attractions. Japan, Morocco, etc. Take that into account while adding only 1-2 more country so expansion pads could be used for attractions. And can we get rid of Africa at WS already? Do this and Epcot is an immediate 2 day park. Maybe even more.

5th gate? No need. Epcot is ripe for even further expansion around the world all while incorporating thematically appropriate IPs to the world. As a secondary benefit- this would make each country even more immersive thanks to themed show buildings.

Africa is fine until they decide to use those expansion pads. I rather have Africa then a line of trees there.

andysol

Africa is fine until they decide to use those expansion pads. I rather have Africa then a line of trees there.

There's really not much to the Outpost but I guess it's better than just trees ...

I agree- my point is the outpost needs to go to use the actual expansion pad area. We have a phenomenal Africa we can see at DAK rather than an Africa kiosk smaller than the DVC kiosk at Disney Springs.

I feel like France is going to be kind of an odd duck pavilion now with all this extra space. Won't it seem much larger than all the other pavilions?
It is. Norway will be the only other one comparable in size. Which leads me to....

Sorry to get into this in a France thread- but no time like the present...
Time to bring this good ole photo back.
world-showcase-expansion-1.gif

1 is for Frozen (kill me, still...)
7 and 8 is the world showplace which is used all the time now because WS Needs festivals 24/7/365.
6 is the Rat (although the front 1/3 of "6" is still available even after rat)

So In a perfect world, do we want 2-5 to become 4 new countries? Or do we want 3 attractions and 1 new country. Or 2+2?
If Brazil is a given, then 5 (or even the unused part of 6) can house a Moroccan or Japan attraction- since neither has an attraction currently.
4 can house an Italian or German attraction- since neither has an attraction currently.
And we can wipe out 2+3 for Brazil and add a Brazil or German Attraction.

And while I'm on my tangent of each country needing a restaurant and attraction... America still needs a restaurant :)

Again- I bring this up because of how France will look with a detailed show building and how it will make that country's area look vastly different and more immersive.
Mount Fuji next to Japan- what does that do for the immersiveness of Japan?
A large show building in space 4 with one side themed to Italy and one to Germany. What does that do for the immersiveness of those two European countries?

These additions of attractions- like Rat- can do more for the immersiveness of the country. It's certainly not just a ride addition or capacity eater. While, yes, it's that primarily- the side benefit is we get a more fleshed out area. It's a win all around in my eyes.

Last edited:

njDizFan

I agree- my point is the outpost needs to go to use the actual expansion pad area. We have a phenomenal Africa we can see at DAK rather than an Africa kiosk smaller than the DVC kiosk at Disney Springs.

It is. Norway will be the only other one comparable in size. Which leads me to....

Sorry to get into this in a France thread- but no time like the present...
Time to bring this good ole photo back.
world-showcase-expansion-1.gif

1 is for Frozen (kill me, still...)
7 and 8 is the world showplace which is used all the time now because WS Needs festivals 24/7/365.
6 is the Rat.

So In a perfect world, do we want 2-5 to become 4 new countries? Or do we want 3 attractions and 1 new country. Or 2+2?
If brazil is a given, then 5 can house a Moroccan or Japan attraction- since neither has an attraction currently.
4 can house an Italian or German attraction- since neither has an attraction currently.
And we can wipe out 2+3 for Brazil and add a Brazil or German Attraction.

And while I'm on my tangent... America still needs a restaurant :)

Again- I bring this up because of how France will look with a detailed show building and how it will make that country's area look vastly different and more immersive.
My Fuji next to Japan- what does that do for the immersiveness of Japan?
A large show building in space 4 with one side themed to Italy and one to Germany. What does that do for the inmesivrlg of both of those European countries?

These additions of attractions- like Rat- can do more for the immersiveness of the country. It's certainly not just a ride addition or capacity eater. While it's that primarily, the side benefit is we get a more fleshed out area. It's a win all around in my eyes.
They should be able to add attractions to existing pavilions without using an expansion pad. Also we may get a small attraction in 8 and some future development in the front of 6 (where rat is going)

Babysinclair

I feel like France is going to be kind of an odd duck pavilion now with all this extra space. Won't it seem much larger than all the other pavilions?

To me it already feels larger and more immersive than many pavilions. So does the U.K. for that matter. With both pavilions getting attractions, the past expansion of Norway (M&G) ,possibly of Brazil, and new outdoor space in Mexico (outdoor Bar) pavilions like Canada might start looking like the odd duck rather than France.

Mike S

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/07/rat2340987FI.jpg

Relooking at this concept art- it makes France look incredible. Even without the ride itself, just the addition of the show building adds so much more height and detail to the area resulting in a significantly more immersive environment.

I've always said every country needs a restaurant and a legitimate attraction. Some could be a very good theater- like China or Canada- but they certainly need more ride based attractions. Japan, Morocco, etc. Take that into account while adding only 1-2 more countries, so expansion pads could be used for attractions. And can we get rid of Africa at WS already? Do this and Epcot is an immediate 2 day park. Maybe even more.

5th gate? No need. Epcot is ripe for even further expansion around the world all while incorporating thematically appropriate IPs to the world. As a secondary benefit- this would make each country even more immersive thanks to themed show buildings.
What they're doing for Ratatouille is what should've been done for Frozen. Build a new area for the ride then Maelstrom could've been properly updated. Why can France have two attractions with one not focused on an IP but Norway can't?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

There's more that can be done if WDW really, really wanted to squeeze in about a dozen more nations:

While 7 and 8 are being used for conventions... they don't have to be. There's space outside the canal that can be accessed with a walk-over. They can permanently fix up Odyssey or WoL for conventions. With any of the new hotels, they can add convention space that directly accesses the park. They can tear down WoL and in the new pavilion have a downstairs attraction and an upstairs party. In other words, 7 & 8 are reclaimable for nations.

Canada is using only 40% of it's space. If you take the unused portion and add in the space adjacent to the Mind's Eye theater, you can get another nation in.

World Showcase Pavilion and Odyssey can be converted for two more spots.

#1 has only a M&G hut in the front. An attraction can be added to the back, or, raze it for another nation.

Either side of the America pavilion has half a pad. The Japan side is probably too narrow for anything, but the Italy side has a large pad behind it that's not being used. (And before anyone says that would ruin the America pavilion's forced perspective, you build anything new with a matching perspective.)

FettFan

There's more that can be done if WDW really, really wanted to squeeze in about a dozen more nations:

While 7 and 8 are being used for conventions... they don't have to be. There's space outside the canal that can be accessed with a walk-over. They can permanently fix up Odyssey or WoL for conventions. With any of the new hotels, they can add convention space that directly accesses the park. They can tear down WoL and in the new pavilion have a downstairs attraction and an upstairs party. In other words, 7 & 8 are reclaimable for nations.

Canada is using only 40% of it's space. If you take the unused portion and add in the space adjacent to the Mind's Eye theater, you can get another nation in.

World Showcase Pavilion and Odyssey can be converted for two more spots.

#1 has only a M&G hut in the front. An attraction can be added to the back, or, raze it for another nation.

Either side of the America pavilion has half a pad. The Japan side is probably too narrow for anything, but the Italy side has a large pad behind it that's not being used. (And before anyone says that would ruin the America pavilion's forced perspective, you build anything new with a matching perspective.)

I've always imagined Odyssey being converted into an Australia Pavilion. It's got almost the same size footprint as Mexico, plus there's a little bit more space between Mexico and Test Track to expand into if necessary.

The way it sits out on the water, they could easily convert it into a replica of the Sydney Opera House. Added bonus is the view you'd get of it from the Monorail.

andysol

Would've been the third if we actually got Matterhorn and Mt. Fuji.
The two mountains flanking the back of World Showcase always made me wishing we had them. Not just for the rides sake, which would be incredible, but for the two mountains in each corner that would have looking stunning to see from across the Lagoon.

Oh yes, the Switzerland Pavilion originally planned for construction between Italy and Germany.
nov720102LARGE.jpg

And we think concept art is unrealistic now. There isn't even concrete there- it's all grass. :)

fngoofy

The core ideas of FW, a showcase for science and industry, and WS, corridors in downtown E.P.C.O.T. themed to areas around the world, were part of Walt's 1966 pitch.
You are correct.
The original idea of EPCOT was a corporate city. They specifically said that the people living there would only be there for a few years, kind of a rotation through by their employers.

People have to remember that EPCOT was only at the "artist rendition" stage. They hadn't done any feasibility studies or anything. EPCOT was supposed to go down multiple levels with a different mode of transport at each one. Good luck digging more than 8ft down in Florida, and good luck trying to build up with multiple levels on the scale of an entire city.

My point is, the plan would have had to change even if Walt was around to shepherd the project. I think the EPCOT we have is pretty close to what Walt would have done. And companies would want to associate with the popular IP, it gives their companies a warm fuzzy to be associated with beloved IP.

Basically, EPCOT was destined to be in a World's Fair format. It is what Walt new, it is a proven format, and Walt would have picked that once the realities of what WDW is really set in. It isn't feasible for it to be a city, with crime, and the other issues that come with 50,000 people living lives there. We all freak when the lives of the CMs intrude on the parks. Like the time the guy with a gun was looking for his estranged mate in EPCOT and ended up making a last stand in a FW bathroom.

As far as IP, for those too young to remember, EPCOT was devoid of characters in the beginning, and people did not like it. There is a reason WDW is the happening spot, corporations sponsor rides because they want the association with beloved IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom