News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

P_Radden

Indeed, Arts hews more closely to the original Epcot mission than the other festivals. It's been getting better each year, too. And it's expanding each year, but, IMO, should expand more so, especially since the first two weeks of F&G are weak because not everything is in full bloom yet.
...or a better idea...Epcot goes Festival-less for a few more weeks of the year. Every mid-sized level cities across the US, has Art Festivals, Taste of <fill in the city>, Flower Shows, Beerfests, Soupfests, Winefests, Home & Garden Shows, etc...

I don't need my fill of Festival Festivities at WDW.
This and This. Festival of the Arts is very enjoyable IMO. However, F&G and F&W are played out, and run too damn long. Epcot needs more weeks, if not a months, without any festivals. So, expand FotA a week or 2 and reduce F&G and F&W. Realistically I doubt they would ever reduce F&G and F&W because of the additional revenue they generate for the park.

lazyboy97o

And most people don't dislike what Disney is doing now. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: the snobbery here is a minority viewpoint. That doesn't make it an unimportant viewpoint, but people need to be realistic about how representative their opinions are (or aren't).
Except that those Disney is now following still don’t enjoy the success of Disney.

The Empress Lilly

And most people don't dislike what Disney is doing now. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: the snobbery here is a minority viewpoint. That doesn't make it an unimportant viewpoint, but people need to be realistic about how representative their opinions are (or aren't).
But it's not snobbery. We realise Disney is pop culture.

It is all more akin to eating for years at a really good family owned pizzeria, then slowly being driven out as the menu changes into franchised burger fare that you can get everywhere else because it makes the new management more money.

ToTBellHop

This and This. Festival of the Arts is very enjoyable IMO. However, F&G and F&W are played out, and run too damn long. Epcot needs more weeks, if not a months, without any festivals. So, expand FotA a week or 2 and reduce F&G and F&W. Realistically I doubt they would ever reduce F&G and F&W because of the additional revenue they generate for the park.
I’d like Arts from mid-January through mid-March, F&G April through Memorial Day, and F&W October through early November (when there’s a chance the weather will be comfortable enough to stuff my face outside). I thought the old holiday dates of Black Friday through 12/30 were appropriate.

The Empress Lilly

This is the problem I have with the doom-and-gloom mentality here. It's so extreme as to be blind to facts. No, you can't get what Disney is serving everywhere else. And no, not everything in the past was of superlative quality.
The subject of this thread, Rat, takes its cue from rides that have been at Universal for years. GotG coaster too can arm-wrestle with its UNI Potter-siblings for dominance. By contrast, very little similar to Universe of Energy was around back then.

Not everything in EPCOT Center of superlative quality? You haven't been. :p

The Empress Lilly

Indeed, Arts hews more closely to the original Epcot mission than the other festivals.
Sadly I've not yet had the opportunity to visit the Arts Festival. I'm curious why you think it close to EPCOT's mission? By default I don't think it does all that much.
I can see how an arts festival could fit - obviously in WS, although that would require arts and artists form around the world more than local US ones. With the problem that arts often do not adhere to borders. Except for boring nationalist movements, or crafts and the like that conservative regimes seem eager to promote as somehow expressing national virtues and traditions.
Arts could fit in FW - design drives progress too, moreso now than ever.

I do think the F&W festival is in itself actually a really good fit for WS. Global gastronomy has always been a main draw and focus of WS, as it should be. Gastronomy is the cultural expression of differences in climate, soil, and regional traditions. I dislike many aspects of F&W's actual implementation, but don't dislike it in itself.

Flower and Garden feels a bit more far-fetched, is not a great thematic fit that furthers EPCOT's story. My personal favourite festival though! The park never looks prettier! ♡

Holidays are just that, they celebrate the end of year festivities and don't really need to further EPCOT's mission, although I appreciate how they manage to give EPCOT's celebrations a distinct EPCOT angle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom