News Reimagined Toontown coming

Phroobar

The AstorTurf they apparently want to install in Mickey's Toontown in Disneyland will be within the line of access to the park's newest E Ticket attraction that gets around 2,000 riders per hour, and will be in SoCal's more temperate and rainless climate where people can lay out on "grass" more comfortably.
AstroTurf gets really hot in the summertime. You don't want to lay down on it.

truecoat

Well, I don't know. The AstroTurf in the MK Hub is kinda fenced off, completely shadeless, nowhere near an E Ticket, and thus not really used most of the day in the inhospitable Florida climate.

Cinderella-Castle-General-Magic-Kingdom.jpg

The AstorTurf they apparently want to install in Mickey's Toontown in Disneyland will be within the line of access to the park's newest E Ticket attraction that gets around 2,000 riders per hour, and will be in SoCal's more temperate and rainless climate where people can lay out on "grass" more comfortably.

I have a hunch that a patch of AstroTurf laid out in front of a new E Ticket in Disneyland will be far more trampled upon than a patch of AstroTurf laid out in a treeless plaza nowhere near an E Ticket in WDW. But that's just me, using climate and decades of theme park experience to guide my commentary.

Your mileage may vary.

They have to stand and walk all over it for the fireworks show.

wdrive

Well, I don't know. The AstroTurf in the MK Hub is kinda fenced off, completely shadeless, nowhere near an E Ticket, and thus not really used most of the day in the inhospitable Florida climate.

I have a hunch that a patch of AstroTurf laid out in front of a new E Ticket in Disneyland will be far more trampled upon than a patch of AstroTurf laid out in a treeless plaza nowhere near an E Ticket in WDW. But that's just me, using climate and decades of theme park experience to guide my commentary.

Your mileage may vary.

I mean I think you could make a case for the castle itself being an E ticket attraction.

TP2000

They have to stand and walk all over it for the fireworks show.

Oh, I know it's used and walked on. They put it there because they wanted to rent out the space for fireworks viewing. But it's not used much during the day.

It would be like replacing the Cosmic Waves (remember that?) area in Tomorrowland with AstroTurf, and then be surprised when it looks like crap after a couple thousand people per hour walked over it on their way to Space Mountain.

Castle Cake Apologist

Your mileage may vary.

Huh? Its entire purpose is for guests to relax on it, just like what they're installing in Toontown. And people do, the grass is regularly filled with guests. Newsflash : there's not really a lot of shade anywhere in the Florida parks, we just make do.

And my goodness, not by an E-ticket?? It's next to Cinderella Castle, what are you talking about? It's also used nightly as a viewing area for the fireworks show in the busiest theme park in the world, and somehow manages not to look like any of the ridiculous things you guys have come up with. I'm basically anti-Disney at this point, and even I think the hyperbole around here is just too much sometimes.

celluloid

Huh? Its entire purpose is for guests to relax on it, just like what they're installing in Toontown. And people do, the grass is regularly filled with guests. Newsflash : there's not really a lot of shade anywhere in the Florida parks, we just make do.

And my goodness, not by an E-ticket?? It's next to Cinderella Castle, what are you talking about? It's also used nightly as a viewing area for the fireworks show in the busiest theme park in the world, and somehow manages not to look like any of the ridiculous things you guys have come up with. I'm basically anti-Disney at this point, and even I think the hyperbole around here is just too much sometimes.

That sounds even keel and I am the same way. Universal also uses Astroturf for their concert area where the boneyard used to be that is also used in the day for relaxing and for queues of the busiest type with eating and drinking at Halloween Horror Nights.

I think that aspect of it will be ok.

Phroobar

THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
"As you find yourself crossing from Main Street into Tomorrowland, you might notice the remnants of one of the Magic Kingdom’s most beautiful, serene and relaxing attractions. Open during peak seasons from early 1973 to late 1983, the Swan Boats traveled the waters around Cinderella Castle in style. Powered by natural gas, these boats were free floating (no track) and used a unique water jet system to steer them in any direction.

Originally made up of 12 individual vessels, the Swan Boats traveled the waters of the Magic Kingdom, offering unique views of Cinderella Castle, The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and other attractions along the waterways.

Reasons for the attraction closure are speculative at best but range from problems and cost to maintain the boats to the attraction simply being too popular during the park’s peak summer season. Whatever the reason, it was in August 1983 that the last of the Swan Boats sailed.

Until March 2014 when a redesign of the Magic Kingdom hub began, a noticeable piece of the attraction’s history existed between Cinderella Castle and Tomorrowland; A shady seating area at the water’s edge, with a green roof, which was originally built as the Swan Boat’s second and permanent loading dock. The former entrance to the attraction is what many guests recognized as the Rose Garden and the original loading dock for the boats was used as an outdoor seating area just outside the Plaza Restaurant."

Rich Brownn

"As you find yourself crossing from Main Street into Tomorrowland, you might notice the remnants of one of the Magic Kingdom’s most beautiful, serene and relaxing attractions. Open during peak seasons from early 1973 to late 1983, the Swan Boats traveled the waters around Cinderella Castle in style. Powered by natural gas, these boats were free floating (no track) and used a unique water jet system to steer them in any direction.

Originally made up of 12 individual vessels, the Swan Boats traveled the waters of the Magic Kingdom, offering unique views of Cinderella Castle, The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and other attractions along the waterways.

Reasons for the attraction closure are speculative at best but range from problems and cost to maintain the boats to the attraction simply being too popular during the park’s peak summer season. Whatever the reason, it was in August 1983 that the last of the Swan Boats sailed.

Until March 2014 when a redesign of the Magic Kingdom hub began, a noticeable piece of the attraction’s history existed between Cinderella Castle and Tomorrowland; A shady seating area at the water’s edge, with a green roof, which was originally built as the Swan Boat’s second and permanent loading dock. The former entrance to the attraction is what many guests recognized as the Rose Garden and the original loading dock for the boats was used as an outdoor seating area just outside the Plaza Restaurant."

Actually there was a track of sorts - guide wires under the water thet signals to the boat to steer them It was great... when they worked. But they were always looked at as a "filler' until sufficient ride capacity was in place. Then there really wasn't a need for them And the were a PITA. (I worked there when these were active... they often went off track and got stuck)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"As we previously shared, Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland park will soon begin its transformation into a vibrant symphony of sights, sounds, and sensations with some all-new experiences, more play and interactivity for our guests, with a focus on families and young children. To begin this work, Mickey’s Toontown will be closed beginning March 9, 2022, and will reopen in early 2023, alongside the new attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

If you want to see Mickey’s Toontown one more time before the reimagining begins, be sure to visit between now and March 8! As a reminder, both a theme park ticket and park reservation for the same park and the same date are required for park entry.

But don’t worry if you can’t make it before then — when Mickey’s Toontown reopens in 2023, it will still be home to favorite attractions such as Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, Mickey’s House and Minnie’s House! Plus, other attractions will be reimagined in new and exciting ways, including Gadget’s Go Coaster, Goofy’s House and Donald’s Boat."

Mickeyboof

"As we previously shared, Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland park will soon begin its transformation into a vibrant symphony of sights, sounds, and sensations with some all-new experiences, more play and interactivity for our guests, with a focus on families and young children. To begin this work, Mickey’s Toontown will be closed beginning March 9, 2022, and will reopen in early 2023, alongside the new attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

If you want to see Mickey’s Toontown one more time before the reimagining begins, be sure to visit between now and March 8! As a reminder, both a theme park ticket and park reservation for the same park and the same date are required for park entry.

But don’t worry if you can’t make it before then — when Mickey’s Toontown reopens in 2023, it will still be home to favorite attractions such as Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, Mickey’s House and Minnie’s House! Plus, other attractions will be reimagined in new and exciting ways, including Gadget’s Go Coaster, Goofy’s House and Donald’s Boat."

Happy to see a firm answer to the future of Roger Rabbit!

mickEblu

I can’t believe that I was actually semi disappointed reading Roger is sticking around. That trench coat Jessica bothers me more than it should. It’s not even that it alters the ride experience. It’s just the principle. I was ready to hear about what that “fun exciting new area” was about. A surprise Toontown themed Sci Fi Dine In would have been cool.

Good to hear that MMRR is opening with the land and that it’s going to be “early 2023.” It could very well be open a year from today. Maybe January 2023 if they re trying to have it open for Toontowns 30th Anni. I still remember when the land first opened and how I considered it my favorite Land. I was 10.

Magenta Panther

Is there any chance the Disneyland version of MMRR replaces the horrible flat Picasso-esque Mickey and Minnie heads with actual fully-formed 3D heads as per Daisy and Pluto?

Yeah, naw.

The current "Disney" is incapable of recognizing, much less fixing, its mistakes (broken Yeti).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom