News Regal Eagle Smokehouse: Craft Drafts & Barbecue replacing Liberty Inn

Josh Hendy

M
I'm going to head over tomorrow. I believe the smokers aren't actually working right now. The smoke flavor may be liquid smoke. The smokers should be up and running in a couple of weeks.
Liquid smoke?

Sigh. In a few years from now will we be saying, "Yeah the smokers were only fired up a couple of times during Food and Wine in 2020, haven't been used since."

The attitude that "broken, unused or incomplete is good enough" is disturbing.

I understand that certain atmosphere effects in Avatar Land don't work after only 3 years of operation. Universal and HP fans, help me out here. Are there any effects in the HP lands such as shops, queues, ride effects etc which broke down after a couple of months or years where Universal has shrugged it off as if ... oh well at least you got a new land/ride.

Seems to me that JK Rowling would never tolerate that and for sure, if Uni was to let Marvel Island become slipshod Disney would sue them for breach of contract and have the land and IP removed.

Ponderer

I think I like the way the Muppets are used here. You could miss it if you're really not paying attention, so seeing the Muppet details is kinda like finding an Easter Egg.

Edit: Would be nice if this was the MO for World Showcase IP integration going forward.

Yeah, for me, it’s like a slightly more noticeable hidden Mickey. I have zero problems with Imagineers having a bit of fun. Authenticity doesn’t mean the absence of a sense of humor. And frankly, for me, Muppets ARE part of the American Exprience.

(I do wish these boards had been around when Eisner started trotting Mickey in a spacesuit around EPCOT circa 1984. IP!!! Characters in the parks?!?! The dream of EPCOT is dead!!!)

lentesta

Premium Member
M

Liquid smoke?

Sigh. In a few years from now will we be saying, "Yeah the smokers were only fired up a couple of times during Food and Wine in 2020, haven't been used since."

The attitude that "broken, unused or incomplete is good enough" is disturbing.

I understand that certain atmosphere effects in Avatar Land don't work after only 3 years of operation. Universal and HP fans, help me out here. Are there any effects in the HP lands such as shops, queues, ride effects etc which broke down after a couple of months or years where Universal has shrugged it off as if ... oh well at least you got a new land/ride.

Seems to me that JK Rowling would never tolerate that and for sure, if Uni was to let Marvel Island become slipshod Disney would sue them for breach of contract and have the land and IP removed.

I really think it's just that the smokers aren't done. It may be a case of everything else being ready to open, so management says go even if the chefs would prefer to wait.

Josh Hendy

I really think it's just that the smokers aren't done. It may be a case of everything else being ready to open, so management says go even if the chefs would prefer to wait.
I wonder if the issue is the smoke blowing around.

I'm not a master chef but ... this is just a smoker that's not an exotic piece of cookery. Where I am these are just trucks pulled up in the park at the local "BBQ fest"

Magenta Panther

From the Jim Hill podcast (yes, yes, we know, huge grains of salt) he indicated as to why Sam Eagle is here, is because evidently an imagineer was just a big muppets fan and tossed out the idea, and as it went up and up the chain for approvals nobody turned it down. I don't know how accurate that story is, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. So less of a force IP in there and more just someone's idea who happens to like the muppets and wanted to see more of them in the parks.

Well, duh. That's what I've been saying. This restaurant was never built with a puppet in mind. That's why no eagle puppet on the restaurant's t-shirts (yet). Some twit at TDO thought putting the character on the restaurant was a "good idea, hurr hurr" and so it got shoehorned in there at the last minute. The lack of taste is laughably appalling. But then this is the same TDO that just can't get around to fixing the long-broken Yeti. These are people with a low opinion of park guests and no self-respect. Plus they're likely under orders to stick characters everywhere all over the park whether the placement is fitting or not (chicken-loving Gonzo has no problem barbecuing them, apparently. But then Muppet fans aren't all that picky, are they?) :rolleyes:

FigmentFan82

Well, duh. That's what I've been saying. This restaurant was never built with a puppet in mind. That's why no eagle puppet on the restaurant's t-shirts (yet). Some twit at TDO thought putting the character on the restaurant was a "good idea, hurr hurr" and so it got shoehorned in there at the last minute. The lack of taste is laughably appalling. But then this is the same TDO that just can't get around to fixing the long-broken Yeti. These are people with a low opinion of park guests and no self-respect. Plus they're likely under orders to stick characters everywhere all over the park whether the placement is fitting or not (chicken-loving Gonzo has no problem barbecuing them, apparently. But then Muppet fans aren't all that picky, are they?) :rolleyes:
Sam is on the T

FigmentFan82

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.46.02 AM.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
What Disney does not appear to get is that Sam Eagle is a satirical parody of a over-zealous patriotic american. It is akin to having the "Swedish Chef" host a restaurant in a hypothetical Sweden pavilion.The intent of "World Showcase" was supposed to be authenticity.
Sorry, but that whaler sailed a decade ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom