News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

ImperfectPixie

And I doubt it'll go down well with most people here, given that the majority of complaints centre on the fact that the columns don't look like wood. Adding flat tattoo-style paintwork to them isn't going to fix that issue, nor is it an "authentic" way of decorating columns in Polynesian art (at least from what I can tell after searching around a bit on Google).
I really hope if they do plan on decorating the columns that they encase them with something first. Painted tribal art on smooth columns would look AWFUL.

LittleBuford

I really hope if they do plan on decorating the columns that they encase them with something first. Painted tribal art on smooth columns would look AWFUL.
The concept art gives no indication of any relief effect. The reason I keep likening it to tattoo art is that I really think that's what it's intended to resemble, including in its flatness.

Disney Analyst

Wise words, my friend.

I'm curious: What are your thoughts on the new entrance?

I honestly don’t mind it.

Could it be taken more over the top as has been mentioned by many? Sure it can. The only thing I’m not fully sold on is the lights used in the nets.

Do I think it’s generally an improvement to resort entry experience? Yes I do.

I have checked out the Poly to see the resort a few times, many years ago, I just recall everything being very dark and claustrophobic (IMO).

I like the new lobby, I like the more airy and open entry, the colourful “wood” detailing is fun, and I think using the white above keeps it feeling bright and uplifting versus dark and dreary.

LittleBuford

I honestly don’t mind it.

Could it be taken more over the top as has been mentioned by many? Sure it can. The only thing I’m not fully sold on is the lights used in the nets.

Do I think it’s generally an improvement to resort entry experience? Yes I do.

I have checked out the Poly to see the resort a few times, many years ago, I just recall everything being very dark and claustrophobic (IMO).

I like the new lobby, I like the more airy and open entry, the colourful “wood” detailing is fun, and I think using the white above keeps it feeling bright and uplifting versus dark and dreary.
This is pretty close to my assessment. I really dislike the globe lights, and I wish some attempt had been made to disguise the sprinklers, but overall, I don't think the end product is the failure that some are making it out to be.

ImperfectPixie

This is pretty close to my assessment. I really dislike the globe lights, and I wish some attempt had been made to disguise the sprinklers, but overall, I don't think the end product is the failure that some are making it out to be.
The color choices don't bother me...it's the industrial-like materials and finishes that really throw it off for me. "Polynesian" to me means the exact opposite of "ultra smooth and shiny"...it means more natural materials, rich accent colors, carvings, etc. On the columns, for example, I wouldn't mind "tattoo-style", flat, monotone designs if they weren't on such a shiny, smooth surface (shiny being the worst offender). The underside of the roof bothers me the most, though...it's just so blatantly metal and industrial-looking.

ETA: And I agree on the globe lights and sprinklers. The lights should be all soft white so as to not look like balloons, and the sprinklers are just bad.

LittleBuford

The color choices don't bother me...it's the industrial-like materials and finishes that really throw it off for me. "Polynesian" to me means the exact opposite of "ultra smooth and shiny"...it means more natural materials, rich accent colors, carvings, etc. On the columns, for example, I wouldn't mind "tattoo-style", flat, monotone designs if they weren't on such a shiny, smooth surface (shiny being the worst offender). The underside of the roof bothers me the most, though...it's just so blatantly metal and industrial-looking.

ETA: And I agree on the globe lights and sprinklers. The lights should be all soft white so as to not look like balloons, and the sprinklers are just bad.
The concept art already announced (to me at least) that they were going for a more modern, streamlined interpretation of the theme. That's why I'm somewhat surprised that people are so taken aback by what we've ended up with. I have less of an issue with the smoothness per se than with the choice of materials: I agree that the metal on the underside of the roof is too industrial in feel. Had they used smooth wood, I think the result would have been superior, even if still overly modern for some people's tastes.

ImperfectPixie

The concept art already announced (to me at least) that they were going for a more modern, streamlined interpretation of the theme. That's why I'm somewhat surprised that people are so taken aback by what we've ended up with. I have less of an issue with the smoothness per se than with the choice of materials: I agree that the metal on the underside of the roof is too industrial in feel. Had they used smooth wood, I think the result would have been superior, even if still overly modern for some people's tastes.
Smooth wood would have been gorgeous! I can handle a modern slant on Polynesian design...the shininess and obvious metal though...

Sir_Cliff

I must say that this doesn't read as modern or streamlined to me. That I could deal with, even if it seems an odd choice for a hotel whose appeal draws so much on retro Polynesian pop that they're also leaning into with the new colour scheme for the monorail station.

At least as I'm reading the conversation, I don't think those who don't like the entrance are complaining that it's too smooth. It is precisely the choice of materials - or at least the decision not to disguise those materials beyond a layer of paint - that is the principal problem most of those who don't like the design are expressing. There are also some strange design choices including the sprinklers and lights, but the big issue at least for me is that it looks exactly like a big metal structure resting on concrete pylons.

Building such a utilitarian structure with some nods to theming by painting the concrete and metal brown to simulate wood might get a pass at a local park on the basis of "at least they're making an effort". But for WDW it is a shockingly low standard that, as has been mentioned, is below the standard for the cheaper moderate resorts. That's why I think people are taken aback: I think we all assumed Disney wouldn't try and pass this off as theming.

LittleBuford

I must say that this doesn't read as modern or streamlined to me. That I could deal with, even if it seems an odd choice for a hotel whose appeal draws so much on retro Polynesian pop that they're also leaning into with the new colour scheme for the monorail station.

At least as I'm reading the conversation, I don't think those who don't like the entrance are complaining that it's too smooth. It is precisely the choice of materials - or at least the decision not to disguise those materials beyond a layer of paint - that is the principal problem most of those who don't like the design are expressing. There are also some strange design choices including the sprinklers and lights, but the big issue at least for me is that it looks exactly like a big metal structure resting on concrete pylons.

Building such a utilitarian structure with some nods to theming by painting the concrete and metal brown to simulate wood might get a pass at a local park on the basis of "at least they're making an effort". But for WDW it is a shockingly low standard that, as has been mentioned, is below the standard for the cheaper moderate resorts. That's why I think people are taken aback: I think we all assumed Disney wouldn't try and pass this off as theming.
A number of posters here have said they were hoping for or expected more natural-looking materials and textures. My point was only that the concept art suggested the very opposite approach: the red and yellow geometric panels in the gables and along the station were never going to be anything other than some sort of laser-cut industrial material. True, we were promised (and, after a fashion, got) a thatched roof, but the rest of what the concept art indicated (even the busily decorated columns) did not read as especially natural to me.

I'm using the terms "modern" and "streamlined" simply as descriptions, not as expressions of approval. I myself would have preferred something more in keeping with the vintage Tiki feel of the existing parts of the resort.

I feel I have to reiterate that I am not a champion of this new entrance. Perhaps I'm just not expressing myself well, but I feel that my comments are being taken as far more approving and apologetic than they're intended to be. I don't love what they've done, but neither can I pretend to hate it when I don't.

Last edited:

Skywise

A number of posters here have said they were hoping for or expected more natural-looking materials and textures. My point was only that the concept art suggested the very opposite approach: the red and yellow geometric panels in the gables and along the station were never going to be anything other than some sort of laser-cut industrial material. True, we were promised (and, after a fashion, got) a thatched roof, but the rest of what the concept art indicated (even the busily decorated columns) did not read as especially natural to me.
The colored panels could EASILY have been painted/treated wood panels which would've given a slight nod to authenticity if not made the effect warmer - not the sterile plastic they've gone with.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

The colored panels could EASILY have been painted/treated wood panels which would've given a slight nod to authenticity if nod made the effect warmer - not the sterile plastic they've gone with.
Did you expect those panels to be made of natural materials based on the concept art? I'm asking you to separate your own desires and hopes from what the concept art itself suggested would happen.

Sir_Cliff

Did you expect those panels to be made of natural materials based on the concept art? I'm asking you to separate your own desires and hopes from what the concept art itself suggested would happen.
To be honest, the concept art is not great and I at least assumed it was just a poor rendering of an entrance that would be akin to those they have at their other resorts. The thatched roof, for example, looks like a formica kitchen counter top in that rendering and I would have been surprised if that was what they went with. I reiterate, I would have been surprised... now, not so much!

James Alucobond

I actually don’t have an issue with the laser-cut panels, but I do think it’s fair to have imagined that they’d be fabricated differently. They’re clearly meant to mimic the painted designs in the gables of the longhouses, so anticipating continuity of form is not unreasonable.

LittleBuford

I actually don’t have an issue with the laser-cut panels, but I do think it’s fair to have imagined that they’d be fabricated differently. They’re clearly meant to mimic the painted designs in the gables of the longhouses, so anticipating continuity of form is not unreasonable.
Are they fabricated differently, though? In both cases, it looks like something akin to painted laser-cut MDF to me.

TrojanUSC

The concept art looked streamlined but it did look like there would be some wood throughout. To me, the current exterior of the structure looks okay. It's the inside for me that's a problem. Exposed metal roofing sitting on plain concrete columns with zero theming. It's a warehouse. Nothing more.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

To be honest, the concept art is not great and I at least assumed it was just a poor rendering of an entrance that would be akin to those they have at their other resorts. The thatched roof, for example, looks like a formica kitchen counter top in that rendering and I would have been surprised if that was what they went with. I reiterate, I would have been surprised... now, not so much!
It isn't great, you're right, but though I knew it wasn't to be taken literally (particularly with regard to the thatched roof), I still came away with (it turns out) a fairly accurate of what they were planning. Perhaps that's why the end product isn't so offensive to me; it's about what I was expecting anyway.

LittleBuford

The concept art looked nice. The current exterior of the structure looks okay. It's the exposed metal roofing. It's a warehouse. Nothing more.
The concept art was OK. A bit too modern for my liking, but I got used to it. The finished structure more or less lives up to what it promised, except for the underside of the roof, which, I agree, is the most disappointing element of the whole thing.

James Alucobond

Are they fabricated differently, though? In both cases, it looks like something akin to painted laser-cut MDF to me.
Not totally sure as I haven’t gotten an in-person look at the new panels, but that part also doesn’t bother me personally. I actually think the panels and inlays are the most successful aspects of the front elevation. I won’t be able to judge consistency myself for another year or so; just saying that if someone who did see it perceived a major difference, I can understand where the expectation otherwise would have come from.

LittleBuford

Not totally sure as I haven’t gotten an in-person look at the new panels, but that part also doesn’t bother me personally. I actually think the panels and inlays are the most successful aspects of the front elevation. I won’t be able to judge consistency myself for another year or so; just saying that if someone who did see it perceived a major difference, I can understand where the expectation otherwise would have come from.
That's fair enough.

Your post makes me wonder what those who've seen the new entrance in person think. Are there any posters here who've actually seen the new structure in the flesh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom