News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

TrojanUSC

There are no carriages at the Poly, it's a simple carport.

I like the refresh, the entrance has been dark and moldy for decades.

This looks nice enough as you're driving up, but the minute you go underneath, all of that is eradicated. It's almost appears as if the designers appeared to forget they had to theme the inside/underside, too.

Once you're underneath, it's an unthemed industrial structure. Reminds me of Catastrophe Canyon, when you'd turn a corner and see all the exposed metal supports.

Look at the porté cocheres for DAK Lodge, Wilderness Lodge and even GCH. They aren't as detailed as their lobbies, but they do not stand out as warehouse-like. There are enough thematic details there so that it all blends in seamlessly. Things like detailing on the columns, metal supports with dressing so they appear to be wood, etc. Find me any of the existing Disney hotels that have plain corrugated metal roofs, exposed steel beams with no attempt to mask them, plain cement columns and literally zero thematic details. You won't.

One of these is not like the others:

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.27.21 PM.png

2-700x467.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.31.17 PM.png

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This looks nice enough as you're driving up, but the minute you go underneath, all of that is eradicated. It's almost appears as if the designers appeared to forget they had to theme the inside/underside, too.

Once you're underneath, it's an unthemed industrial structure. Reminds me of Catastrophe Canyon, when you'd turn a corner and see all the exposed metal supports.

Look at the porté cocheres for DAK Lodge, Wilderness Lodge and even GCH. They aren't as detailed as their lobbies, but they do not stand out as warehouse-like. There are enough thematic details there so that it all blends in seamlessly. Things like detailing on the columns, metal supports with dressing so they appear to be wood, etc. Find me any of the existing Disney hotels that have plain corrugated metal roofs, exposed steel beams with no attempt to mask them, plain cement columns and literally zero thematic details. You won't.

One of these is not like the others:

View attachment 587621

View attachment 587619

View attachment 587620
View attachment 587625
AKL carport is elevated so the surface can be tiled without fear of them floating or shifting. Poly however isnt.

TrojanUSC

Even the DAK Lodge here looks like the roof is aluminum beams but they at least painted them brown.
Also note the support column decor and detailing compared with just painting the concrete cylinders brown at the new Poly. These are BOTH supposed to be deluxe resorts!

It's hard to tell in the photo but the roof at DAK lodge are rounded and sculpted to look like logs. It's definitely not unthemed metal beams.

Here's Kidani Village, a clearer view but same effect:
AKL-Kidani-Village-Review-Entrance.jpg

Splashin' Ryan

I don't think you can argue about it having enough detail when the carports of many other moderate resorts which cost significantly less to stay at look 10x better; Coronado/Destino, Caribbean beach, Orleans, boardwalk ALL have underside detailing.

The faux straw roof looks cheap, the columns look unthemed, the underside looks like the back of a facade, the colored panels are only visible from the outside etc.

It's simply not okay to charge such high prices for a subpar product.

The mindset of "oh it's just a carport" or "at least its new" or even "well they don't have to follow the concept art exactly" makes it increasingly easier for Disney to offer less and less because people will still be satisfied because of those who think "Disney can do no wrong"

LittleBuford

The mindset of "oh it's just a carport" or "at least its new" or even "well they don't have to follow the concept art exactly" makes it increasingly easier for Disney to offer less and less because people will still be satisfied because of those who think "Disney can do no wrong"
Perhaps I can put it another way, since my point is apparently getting repeatedly misconstrued. Even when I saw the original concept art, I did not like the "tattooed" decoration on the columns. I am therefore pleased that the columns are not decorated in this manner. That does not mean I think the project is a roaring success, or that I dislike detail in general, or that I'm making excuses for how this has turned out. All it means is that I don't think the planned column decoration would have turned out well anyway.

ETA: Below is a detail of the concept art that gives a better view of the decoration I'm talking about.

polynesian-village-entrance-construction-arrival-11242020-03.jpg

JoeCamel

Perhaps I can put it another way, since my point is apparently getting repeatedly misconstrued. Even when I saw the original concept art, I did not like the "tattooed" decoration on the columns. I am therefore pleased that the columns are not decorated in this manner. That does not mean I think the project is a roaring success, or that I dislike detail in general, or that I'm making excuses for how this has turned out. All it means is that I don't think the planned column decoration would have turned out well anyway.

ETA: Below is a detail of the concept art that gives a better view of the decoration I'm talking about.

I believe you meant tribal not tattooed. I like the tribal look better

Disney Analyst

this concept makes me think this is painted detail, so this actually may still be coming.

LittleBuford

this concept makes me think this is painted detail, so this actually may still be coming.
And I doubt it'll go down well with most people here, given that the majority of complaints centre on the fact that the columns don't look like wood. Adding flat tattoo-style paintwork to them isn't going to fix that issue, nor is it an "authentic" way of decorating columns in Polynesian art (at least from what I can tell after searching around a bit on Google).

Disney Analyst

And I doubt it'll go down well with most people here, given that the majority of complaints centre on the fact that the columns don't look like wood. Adding flat tattoo-style paintwork to them isn't going to fix that issue, nor is it an "authentic" way of decorating columns in Polynesian art (at least from what I can tell after searching around a bit on Google).

I mean most people here don’t like anything that is done these days 😂 🤷🏻‍♂️

I take all opinions with a grain of salt, if not the constant negativity would have me in therapy for the next 35 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom