Refrigerators in Rooms

MarkJ

Just had a most excellent 2 weeks at the All Star Sports - couldnt fault it , quiet room, plenty of facilities - excellent.

One gripe tho!! $149 for the refrigerator - and when it turns up its the size of a small box - I guess its an old under dresser drinks fridge!!!!

Question - I saw new, bigger refrigerators in Wal Mart at only $40 - and we had a big van whilst at Disney ( 6 of us) - Has anyone ever just bought a fridge and then left it in the room afterwards? Or have you bought one and done something else with it?? (like given it to the Chambermaid??)

Coming from the UK we could not take it home??

When we go back in c couple of years we will probably stay at the ASSports again - so we will need a fridge again - anyone tried the above?

Please let me know

(p.s. I had an idea to set up a local fridge delivery service in Orlando charging $25 for the week inc delivery - hahahahaha)

crazygirley

You poor thing! Too bad you didn't ask before you shelled out $150! It is very common to buy a fridge from Wal-Mart when staying at any WDW resort. Most people offer it to the housekeeper or to a new guest at the end of their stay. Save yourself the money next time - buy your own fridge!

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Any Resorts still give fridges at "upon request" without a "nominal fee." As I remember they used to, but maybe not now...what's the deal...particularly at Yacht Club??

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Even if you can't bring the fridge with you, it defiantely would be better to spend the 40 bucks instead of the 150 bucks. You can just leave the fridge in your room when you leave, and someone will take it (housekeepers, next guest).

Upvote 0

Woody13

Originally posted by MarkJ
One gripe tho!! $149 for the refrigerator - and when it turns up its the size of a small box - I guess its an old under dresser drinks fridge!!!!

Why did you rent a refrigerator? There is no need. You could have asked the "mousekeepers" for a cooler (they keep old coolers in their stash) and then just filled it with ice to keep things cool. It works for food, medicine, beer, soft drinks, wine and anything else that requires coolness. Well, maybe next time.

Upvote 0

Chris

Our solution was to purchas one of those Igloo electric ice chests. It has a car adapter and an A/C adapter. We plug it into the power outlet of the Tahoe for the trip down and it keeps all of our stuff cold. Then when we get there, we plug it into the wall and it does the same. It works well. Sometimes it even gets a little ice in the drinks. It is larger than the small refirgerators and fits well in the back of an SUV or a cars trunk. We have been using ours for about five years. It has made over 15 trips to WDW and is still cranking away!

Upvote 0

Erika

Originally posted by wdwfan65
What does anyone need a fridge for on vacation?? :veryconfu

Have you ever bought snacks to keep in the room? That's why. Milk, etc- esp if you have kids. Also for medications that need to be kept cold.

Upvote 0

Fido

We are considering doing this in February. Buying food and keeping it cool for breakfast snacks is an alternative to the evil McDonalds with the big Mayor McCheese (whos eyes follow you wherever you go). At least I think it's Mayor McCheese. At any rate, don't they charge you like 10 bucks a night at most Disney resorts? Either way, some sort of cooler bought at the store will be a cheaper alternative. :lol:

Upvote 0

WDWFREAK53

What does anyone need a fridge for on vacation?? :veryconfu

re·frig·er·a·tor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-frj-rtr)
n.
An appliance, cabinet, or room for storing food or other substances at a low temperature.

By this definition...I would imagine people would need a refrigerator to keep foods, snacks, medicines, etc. at a cool/cold temperature.

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Originally posted by MarkJ
:eek: That's outrageous!! You got screwed. That extra $110 that you spent instead of buying one at WalMart could have bought you breakfast or whatever you were needing the fridge for.

Thank you for posting though and warning others. Have a nice day. :D

Upvote 0

wdwfan65

Banned
Like I said what do you need a fridge for?Disney has food courts and refillable mugs.I have two children and only needed a fridge once for medication and Disney gave us the use of the fridge for free even took us to the Doctor when my daughter got sick in the middle of the night.Two other times we have gotten free fridges without asking they just show up in our room,we have gotten so used to it now we expect it.They just sit there and we dont need or use them,just lucky I guess.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Fido

It's cheaper to buy your own snacks at WalMart or somewhere like that, than to eat at the food court all of the time. To keep the snacks cold, you use the fridge. That is why people want the fridge.

Upvote 0

Erika

Like I said what do you need a fridge for?Disney has food courts and refillable mugs.

My husband likes to drink a lot of milk and we both like to snack. We buy stuff at the food court you mentioned and store them in our room. That way John does not have to get up and walk to the food court and back just to have a drink of milk. And I daresay single parents may prefer reaching into a fridge than rounding everybody up to go all the way to the main building and back. Other people stop at a Wal-Mart or a grocery store on the way and buy food for a lot cheaper than what Disney sells, and store that in their rooms.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

We use a fridge for milk for our cereal in the mornings. We bring cereal, disposable spoons and bowls. This saves us time and money in the mornings!

3 more days!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
They do make milk that you do not have to refridgerate. You could bring that and then just use the ice machines and put it on ice before you need it.

Upvote 0

wdwfan65

Banned
Ok get your fridges and quit complaining about what Disney charges,If you dont like the price buy one or get a throw away cooler or stay at a resort that has them in the rooms built in,or stay off property.If you need to snack all the time ask for a room by the food court.I guess everyone has different needs on vacation,we dont spend much time in our room for the need to snack.We dont do laundry eather

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom