Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

Disvillain63

Thought I would share my experience. I got this letter in the mail, and I called the number and it's an automated message that says if you recently got a letter in regards to the refrigerators and are staying at "All Star, Pop Century, Port Orleans, or Caribbean Beach, Press 1. For all other Resorts press 2" - We are staying at Boardwalk Villas and I pressed 2", and another message comes on saying that there will be a fridge in our room for our stay. Hope this helps!
Thanks! That is where we are staying ... BWV.

TaraWdopeyfan

So I got the same letter some of you have posted about, we are staying at POFQ so I called and at first choose option 2 because the recording only said PORS. Then I called back and choose option 1 and the lady told me POFQ was affected as well just a little confused as to why they wouldn't just say if staying at PO to choose option 1 to begin with. We are arriving in 20 days so I hope they have the refrigerators by then.

jkl2000

The unofficial Port Orleans site has been posting updates occasionally on the fridge status. Their latest was:

Sun 11th Aug 2013: News Updates: Fridges, Magic Bands, Refillable Mugs, etc
Fridges: Both Riverside and French Quarter are now at around 40%-50% working fridges, after about 400 new units were installed at the initially worst-hit French Quarter. Specific medical requests are all being granted, but general requests are still being dealt with on a case-by-case basis (they are moving fridges around to try to help guests, but there are no guarantees at present). 500 more are expected at the end of August, which will make the situation easier again, and the remainder hopefully by early November.

I've been keeping an eye on the site for any updates.

mickeysbrother

We have two resort stays, October and December, and received no such message! Did you get an email or was this posted somewhere?

Leaving in 21 days and i just got my letter about the fridges friday. So they are being sent 3 weeks before arrival if there are any issues for people to contact them im guessing. I am still going to ask for a fridge but if i dont get one no biggy. Just nice to have for drinks that we buy at the Hess gas station at 4 times cheaper.

draybook

I'm hoping that POFQ will be done by September 20th. We got the letter too, but on DIS people are saying they should be done by then.

jkl2000

I'm just reading a POFQ trip report over on the portorleans.org forum (did you know they have a forum there?) and someone described what they stored in the fridge in their room (this was before the fridge swaps):

"The mini fridge did not have a freezer section, as I had hoped, but held a gallon of milk, at least 6 bottles of water, juice boxes, fresh fruit (grapes,fresh cut melon, fresh pineapple) and 8 containers of yogurt"

That's a lot - I've been picturing the little cube-shaped fridges we had in college - are these ones larger? Not sure I'd trust a gallon of milk to one if they don't keep things that cool as some are saying.

EvilQueen-T

I'm just reading a POFQ trip report over on the portorleans.org forum (did you know they have a forum there?) and someone described what they stored in the fridge in their room (this was before the fridge swaps):

"The mini fridge did not have a freezer section, as I had hoped, but held a gallon of milk, at least 6 bottles of water, juice boxes, fresh fruit (grapes,fresh cut melon, fresh pineapple) and 8 containers of yogurt"

That's a lot - I've been picturing the little cube-shaped fridges we had in college - are these ones larger? Not sure I'd trust a gallon of milk to one if they don't keep things that cool as some are saying.

my daughter was at allstar sports about 2 weeks ago. they had a frig because her fiance is insulin dependent. the milk they put in the frig froze overnight.

jkl2000

my daughter was at allstar sports about 2 weeks ago. they had a frig because her fiance is insulin dependent. the milk they put in the frig froze overnight.

Wow, I hope the insulin didn't freeze. Guess I'll be monitoring the temperature for the first day or two - assuming we get a fridge, that is.

EvilQueen-T

right! luckily he had those on the door of the frig and they were fine. the milk was pushed against the back. needless to say they dropped the temp on it just in case.

jkl2000

Just got an update on the Port Orleans fridge status from www.portorleans.org. Sounds good for POFQ. Whew!:

Latest fridge news as at 5 September 2013:
Port Orleans French Quarter was initially much worse affected than Riverside (due mostly to a lucky accident in the way that the Riverside refurb went last year). French Quarter had as many as 95% of rooms affected, while Riverside was closer to 50%-60% impacted.
A fairly recent delivery of 400 fridges all went to French Quarter, as the physical fit was better for the cupboard spaces there (I didn't actually know there was a difference in the enclosure sizes, but apparently there is). As of the start of August, that left both POFQ and POR with around 40%-50% of rooms having working fridges. The staff are regularly moving them around though to try to accommodate guests' medical requests as best they can, so a given room number may be okay one day and not the next.
The next delivery of 500 fridges went to French Quarter at the end of August, for the same reasons as above, so they are now at about 90%, with the remaining few rooms due to be completed within the next couple of weeks.
As of 5 Sept, Riverside currently remains at around 40%, with a small delivery due next week but no more likely for the next month or so after that.
They estimate that the whole project will be complete by around the start of November, but there are no firm dates.

Longers

Just got an update on the Port Orleans fridge status from www.portorleans.org. Sounds good for POFQ. Whew!:

Latest fridge news as at 5 September 2013:
Port Orleans French Quarter was initially much worse affected than Riverside (due mostly to a lucky accident in the way that the Riverside refurb went last year). French Quarter had as many as 95% of rooms affected, while Riverside was closer to 50%-60% impacted.
A fairly recent delivery of 400 fridges all went to French Quarter, as the physical fit was better for the cupboard spaces there (I didn't actually know there was a difference in the enclosure sizes, but apparently there is). As of the start of August, that left both POFQ and POR with around 40%-50% of rooms having working fridges. The staff are regularly moving them around though to try to accommodate guests' medical requests as best they can, so a given room number may be okay one day and not the next.
The next delivery of 500 fridges went to French Quarter at the end of August, for the same reasons as above, so they are now at about 90%, with the remaining few rooms due to be completed within the next couple of weeks.
As of 5 Sept, Riverside currently remains at around 40%, with a small delivery due next week but no more likely for the next month or so after that.
They estimate that the whole project will be complete by around the start of November, but there are no firm dates.
Thank you for the update. Hopefully POR will be done by the time I arrive in November

G00fyDad

So.... we got our letter today confirming that the fridges would be unplugged in all rooms during our visit. :( Wasn't this supposed to be done by now??

ToTBellHop

So.... we got our letter today confirming that the fridges would be unplugged in all rooms during our visit. :( Wasn't this supposed to be done by now??
No--October-early November. They always said "several months" from when the issue was discovered in July.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom