News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

junglecruise93

Wonder, @marni1971, how much of these decisions are now budget related:

Option one - expose everything during the day (poor daytime 'show') and spend the $$ on "technology" to make the show more impressive

Option two - spend part of the budget on infrastructure, such as the mechanism that raises and lowers the light/laser pole above and the artistry of the 'rock' to hide it all during the day (leading to less of a 'show' at night versus a better show during the day.

I'm sure the answer yes, it is budget related, but I wonder how the thinking is done related to making that decision.

hpyhnt 1000

Or better yet -

How about they originally thought this out a bit more and built SMALLER barges ?

There is no reason why these 'tacos' could not have been built at a slightly smaller scale instead of the oversized gigantic monstrosities they became.
The scale, in my option, is far too large for the lagoon size at Epcot.
Someone decided that these needed to be 'bigger and better' which resulted in oversized units incapable of doing what they should be doing - moving off stage and on stage.

Bigger is not always better....
Sometimes, 'less is more' especially in show business.

Just looking at the size of those flippin' screens....
The glare off of the water at night time is going to require clearance from MCO before each show !

o_O

-
I'm certain the obnoxious scale of these barges was, at least partially, a result of all the complaints that the RoE globe was too small and you couldn't see anything on it. But that certainly doesn't excuse the end result we're seeing now.

Show equipment and barges that were A) properly scaled (these new barges could/should be at least 30% smaller), and B) able to be fully hidden or moved backstage should have been non-negotiable during the planning stages.

TTA94

Since they do not seem to have a issue doing work in front of guests, maybe they could still be planning on painting or covering the bottom part of the barges? Anything would help.

yensidtlaw1969

Wonder, @marni1971, how much of these decisions are now budget related:

Option one - expose everything during the day (poor daytime 'show') and spend the $$ on "technology" to make the show more impressive

Option two - spend part of the budget on infrastructure, such as the mechanism that raises and lowers the light/laser pole above and the artistry of the 'rock' to hide it all during the day (leading to less of a 'show' at night versus a better show during the day.

I'm sure the answer yes, it is budget related, but I wonder how the thinking is done related to making that decision.
That's where the word Balance needs to come in - if you're designing your show right from the beginning, there's some room to lose a little on the show itself in favor of infrastructure and still turn out a performance that knocks people's socks off. Disney did it for decades.

If you still turn the volume up to 11, no one complains that you didn't turn it up to 13. You know?

trainplane3

Untitled.png

No I wouldn't actually send this.

yensidtlaw1969

legit question...

if Harmonius turns out to be epically awesome, does that outweigh the tragically awful eyesore of the barges?
Considering it ruins the view of the lagoon for the potentially 12 hours of operating day prior to the show, I don't suspect that even the most epically awesome version of Harmonius would be worth that.

Especially when EPCOT has for almost 40 years had nighttime specaculars that managed to wow guests without gunking up the lagoon full-time.

trainplane3

Or better yet -

How about they originally thought this out a bit more and built SMALLER barges ?

There is no reason why these 'tacos' could not have been built at a slightly smaller scale instead of the oversized gigantic monstrosities they became.
The scale, in my option, is far too large for the lagoon size at Epcot.
Someone decided that these needed to be 'bigger and better' which resulted in oversized units incapable of doing what they should be doing - moving off stage and on stage.

Bigger is not always better....
Sometimes, 'less is more' especially in show business.

Just looking at the size of those flippin' screens....
The glare off of the water at night time is going to require clearance from MCO before each show !

o_O

-
You aren't wrong but we're in a era of "biggest ever". Biggest box measured in SSE's, biggest barges, biggest budgets. Obviously they're a size=everything kind of person.
wait what

Figments Friend

The 'curtain of water' that is to be implemented to try to cover these 'burnt taco shells' with fountain features is not going to improve the sightlines in the lagoon.
It's all about the sizes and scale of things at play here.
The barges are far too large , and the planned water feature is going to also be too large for the body of water they are placed on.

If these were smaller it might be passable and the fountain feature may have appeared rather nice, but at their current height and length it's going to be a eyesore no matter how many gallons of water an hour are careening over them.
These are still going to be obnoxiously large objects blocking the views of what is one of the fundamental appealing design features of World Showcase.

Freakin' floating tv screens.....
:mad:

-

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The 'curtain of water' that is to be implemented to try to cover these 'burnt taco shells' with fountain features is not going to improve the sightlines in the lagoon.
It's all about the sizes and scale of things at play here.
The barges are far too large , and the planned water feature is going to also be too large for the body of water they are placed on.

I said the exact same thing either earlier in this thread or elsewhere. The fountains are going to be much too large; they will almost certainly look odd.

It will be better than just having the barges sit out the way they are right now, but not exactly ideal.

Figments Friend

Yes, covering them with a water feature will be the better of those two choices......but the best choice would have been to have scaled these barges down in size.

With four units, even at a smaller scale, I don't think any viewers of the Show would have had any trouble seeing what is on the screens.
No matter where you are located around the lagoon, with four duplicate units a barge will be near you.....unlike the single central Earth Barge from ROE.

So the oversized scale seems a mistake to me, especially considering that the oversized units cannot be moved offstage.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom