News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Movielover

Would you prefer to see only the rotating arms 24/7 then? They were probably trying to find a way to hide them and ended up with the screens to match the curvature. I'm not saying this is the route I would've taken with the barges, but it would get somewhere in the what were they thinking category.
The arms by themselves may have been small enough to be mobile and brought out right before show while the mist screens would remain hidden in the lagoon.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Would you prefer to see only the rotating arms 24/7 then? They were probably trying to find a way to hide them and ended up with the screens to match the curvature. I'm not saying this is the route I would've taken with the barges, but it would get somewhere in the what were they thinking category.
I think its the other way around. My guess would be the show was primarily designed to be screen heavy, and then it was looked at to see what else could be part of those screens, and those arms fit nicely in the sandwich.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The arms are a head scratcher to me of their purpose in the show. If it were to form something I could see it, but just to create a wave of light that other lighting is capable of doing, doesn’t make sense. Maybe it was simply to have some type of moving element in the show?
I think the arms are continuing in the line of the extending torch in RoE, and the centerpiece of RoL. It is something that can be revealed during the show to expand on what is initially visible. The show needs to build in scale as it progresses.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

This 100%! I've also worked with video walls before and know just how temperamental they can be, and that was on a stage, not on a floating surface.

just wait till that one night when there’s that one square shining in bright white on the screen. I’m still nodding my head on this one in disbelief, I’m so puzzled. Guarantee you the images on both sides will be mirroring any way and guess what, same thing with the projections being opposite on both sides. This is a true fail. Even better, when you want to clear the view for some parts of the show just like that the screen falls to the ground.

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

So what happens when you stand on the bridge between the plaza and Mexico and you can’t see the centerpiece because the side of the screens are just a big dark monstrosity blocking your view? There’s going to be allot of bad angles, first time viewers and many who are going to rate this show. At least with water screens the images would have to mirror and be opposite but just like that when you want to clear that view just shut off the water. What happens when a section goes out on one of those panels.
last of all how the hell am I supposed to watch this show when the centerpiece only faces the front and maybe get an angle from Germany, Italy and Japan. They should have used water screens and that earth barge was genius. Perhaps they should have made a larger one and made that a Permanent centerpiece.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So what happens when you stand on the bridge between the plaza and Mexico and you can’t see the centerpiece because the side of the screens are just a big dark monstrosity blocking your view? There’s going to be allot of bad angles, first time viewers and many who are going to rate this show. At least with water screens the images would have to mirror and be opposite but just like that when you want to clear that view just shut off the water. What happens when a section goes out on one of those panels.
last of all how the hell am I supposed to watch this show when the centerpiece only faces the front and maybe get an angle from Germany, Italy and Japan. They should have used water screens and that earth barge was genius. Perhaps they should have made a larger one and made that a Permanent centerpiece.
Based on art concept, the wings will generally copy what's on the centerpiece, or they'll rotate through the images. When they're singing "Go the Distance" in Sanskrit, there's only so many images of Hercules that you can use.

TrainsOfDisney

This 100%! I've also worked with video walls before and know just how temperamental they can be, and that was on a stage, not on a floating surface.
When video goes out (which happens a lot), I’m always thrilled as the LD because it means #1 - the artist / management isn’t going to notice any lighting isssues.

And #2 I’ll be able to see more of my lovely beams and gobos!

Disneyson

I think the (only) reason the company would cancel the show would be because they will inevitably notice a STEEP decline in social media action, especially during festivals. Nobody will want a photo at EPCOT any longer, and it’s main draw, drinking with a view, will be severely diminished. Sitting around the lagoon will be loud and unpleasant for your eyes, and those food pics aren’t going to have a good enough photo background to justify the purchase of specialty food for some festival goers (I imagine the Arts are going to be severely impacted by this).

They really have given away one of the most important elements of the show during the daytime - it is as if they have learned nothing. Rivers Of Light gave away it’s show elements too early because they lost their 100 floating lanterns, and had to make due with dodgy pacing which led to it’s demise. I can’t imagine that Harm is gonna have that many tricks.

I think that between poor guest feedback, a severe drop on social media, and bad word of mouth, Disney will have wished to have invested in some of it’s other projects.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I think the (only) reason the company would cancel the show would be because they will inevitably notice a STEEP decline in social media action, especially during festivals. Nobody will want a photo at EPCOT any longer, and it’s main draw, drinking with a view, will be severely diminished. Sitting around the lagoon will be loud and unpleasant for your eyes, and those food pics aren’t going to have a good enough photo background to justify the purchase of specialty food for some festival goers (I imagine the Arts are going to be severely impacted by this).

They really have given away one of the most important elements of the show during the daytime - it is as if they have learned nothing. Rivers Of Light gave away it’s show elements too early because they lost their 100 floating lanterns, and had to make due with dodgy pacing which led to it’s demise. I can’t imagine that Harm is gonna have that many tricks.

I think that between poor guest feedback, a severe drop on social media, and bad word of mouth, Disney will have wished to have invested in some of it’s other projects.
The only social media Disney cares about are of the influencers, all of whom they own and will undoubtedly be fawning over everything that Disney has done.

michmousefan

If we know anything about the maintenance, quality and durability of Disney tech, those daytime water effects will start to fail in a month, be totally broken in 6 months, and left out there turned off behind strobe light in 8 months.
Yep, I seem to recall other grumpy folks saying the same thing about the Pandora waterfalls and the waterfalls outside Be Our Guest. Last time I saw them everything was working as originally planned...

UNCgolf

Yep, I seem to recall other grumpy folks saying the same thing about the Pandora waterfalls and the waterfalls outside Be Our Guest. Last time I saw them everything was working as originally planned...

It's very easy to keep a waterfall running. Keeping massive fountains running out in the middle of a lagoon is a different story.

Doesn't mean they won't, but it's not a great comparison.

SLUSHIE

People are inventing things to complain about. I mean, the globe had screens on it too.. how many times over the years did those not work? It also spun and opened. I'm sure there are times when that didn't go as planned but acting like for some reason these screens are going to fail 99% of the time or whatever is a ridiculous argument.

UNCgolf

People are inventing things to complain about. I mean, the globe had screens on it too.. how many times over the years did those not work? It also spun and opened. I'm sure there are times when that didn't go as planned but acting like for some reason these screens are going to fail 99% of the time or whatever is a ridiculous argument.

I feel like you're just completely missing or ignoring the fact that these barges are staying out on the lagoon 24/7/365.

That is a huge difference from the Illuminations infrastructure that was taken back out of the lagoon every single day where it was both protected and easy to perform maintenance.

TJJohn12

I feel like you're just completely missing or ignoring the fact that these barges are staying out on the lagoon 24/7/365.

That is a huge difference from the Illuminations infrastructure that was taken back out of the lagoon every single day where it was both protected and easy to perform maintenance.
Wasn’t the globe for Illuminations stored outdoors backstage and exposed to the elements? So protection-wise that seems on par with anchored in the middle of the lagoon.

Will repair be tougher? Likely. Impossible? Not really. This all seems like sour grapes around Illuminations being retired more than anything, TBH.

UNCgolf

Wasn’t the globe for Illuminations stored outdoors backstage and exposed to the elements? So protection-wise that seems on par with anchored in the middle of the lagoon.

Will repair be tougher? Likely. Impossible? Not really. This all seems like sour grapes around Illuminations being retired more than anything, TBH.

I didn't say it would be impossible to repair, but it'll be harder. Again, there's a huge difference between being stored backstage and being stored in the middle of an open lagoon, especially when they're going to be run as fountains during the day. It's a different level of exposure and they will wear out (thus need maintenance/repairs) much faster.

I don't know why you think this is sour grapes over Illuminations. There are gigantic barges permanently installed in the middle of the Showcase Lagoon. This could just be a technology upgrade of Illuminations and it would be every bit as bad.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

Have you looked at any of the photos posted of the view across the lagoon? Such as half of SSE blocked by the huge black barge, for example? Or an entire pavilion blocked from sight.

Now imagine four of them. And then imagine two even bigger ones. Six of them out on the water all day, every day.

I cannot fathom someone who doesn’t care one iota about the views across the lagoon from anywhere in WS. It used to be such a beautiful sight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom