News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

techgeek

I'm still under the impression that the inner circle will move (but could be wrong), but the movement seems like it will just add a visual element that will be mostly visible from ~Mexico to Canada and ~Japan to Italy.

If that’s even close to true, that represents an astonishing lack of understanding of the venue the show is being designed for.

And, it’s not like they had to reinvent the wheel... Various iterations of Illuminations have played successfully ‘in the round’ for over 35 years, using a basic and well understood central scenic element... A sphere.

trainplane3

I'm still under the impression that the inner circle will move (but could be wrong), but the movement seems like it will just add a visual element that will be mostly visible from ~Mexico to Canada and ~Japan to Italy.
I think you can understand why I said it doesn't look like it'll move. There's nothing on the top of the base of the barge to have a rotating anchor point which would mean the main anchor would be only at the top. I couldn't see a screen this large being stable during movement let alone any kind of wind. I'd be glad to be wrong (please be wrong) but if this thing doesn't spin to be viewable all around WS then it's (sadly) hilarious to have this kind of oversight.
EkEJ8WmXYAAS2hX

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I think you can understand why I said it doesn't look like it'll move. There's nothing on the top of the base of the barge to have a rotating anchor point which would mean the main anchor would be only at the top. I couldn't see a screen this large being stable during movement let along any kind of wind. I'd be glad to be wrong (please be wrong) but if this thing doesn't move then it's (sadly) hilarious to have this kind of oversight.
EkEJ8WmXYAAS2hX

On what planet is a stationary screen better than a sphere when viewed from every angle? Whoever made the decision to ditch the sphere needs to be fired.

UNCgolf

I think you can understand why I said it doesn't look like it'll move. There's nothing on the top of the base of the barge to have a rotating anchor point which would mean the main anchor would be only at the top. I couldn't see a screen this large being stable during movement let alone any kind of wind. I'd be glad to be wrong (please be wrong) but if this thing doesn't spin to be viewable all around WS then it's (sadly) hilarious to have this kind of oversight.
EkEJ8WmXYAAS2hX

Don't worry.

There will be a reserved area with the best possible view of the screen, and they will happily sell you a ticket to an upcharged event for that view!

Last edited:

Amused to Death

On what planet is a stationary screen better than a sphere when viewed from every angle? Whoever made the decision to ditch the sphere needs to be fired.
Why do they even need to incorporate screens at all? How many years were fireworks shows just fine without projecting ransom notes onto the castle? I loved IllumiNations, but it was the music and the fireworks that I cared about, not the spinning globe. Depending on where I was around World Showcase, and how the wind was blowing, I often used the spinning globe portion of the show to find a better viewing location. 😆

ImperfectPixie

Why do they even need to incorporate screens at all? How many years were fireworks shows just fine without projecting ransom notes onto the castle? I loved IllumiNations, but it was the music and the fireworks that I cared about, not the spinning globe. Depending on where I was around World Showcase, and how the wind was blowing, I often used the spinning globe portion of the show to find a better viewing location. 😆
The globe was novel for a bunch of reasons, but I'm with you 100% about the castle projections!

jrhwdw

Ransom notes???? :)

Martin or someone else would have better History but hasn't Epcot had some sort of Projections, be it from Lasers or something else ever since 1984 with Laserphoinc Fantasy? And it just got better with 1988 IllumiNations? Epcot had it all, then added Fire Balls with ROE. I like EF but I can see on here that some people don't. Would Projections have made EF better? I'll agree I'm missing the Fountains in EF.

techgeek

Ransom notes???? :)

Martin or someone else would have better History but hasn't Epcot had some sort of Projections, be it from Lasers or something else ever since 1984 with Laserphoinc Fantasy? And it just got better with 1988 IllumiNations? Epcot had it all, then added Fire Balls with ROE. I like EF but I can see on here that some people don't. Would Projections have made EF better? I'll agree I'm missing the Fountains in EF.

The original Illuminations actually featured what could be considered the precursor to modern day projection mapping, in 1988:

3AB53E66-31B9-4EAC-B68B-EACA1968E3FA.jpeg

All done with large format still effects projectors. (Image credit from the Disney Parks Blog). I have to admit if RoE was lacking in any way for me it was that the individual pavilions effects were reduced to just wash lighting, strobes and the border lights. They really ‘transformed’ in the original show.

TTA94

The original Illuminations actually featured what could be considered the precursor to modern day projection mapping, in 1988:

View attachment 506863

All done with large format still effects projectors. (Image credit from the Disney Parks Blog). I have to admit if RoE was lacking in any way for me it was that the individual pavilions effects were reduced to just wash lighting, strobes and the border lights. They really ‘transformed’ in the original show.

With all the bells and whistles that Harmonious was, is still hopefully getting, you would think projections would be one of them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom