News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
The 2020 show is still around 18 months away. They could continue with the construction and utilize the new infrastructure already being built in a retooled RoE. They would still have to show EPCOT Forever due to the construction, but I doubt the new tech would have to be limited to the IP show. I know I'm just dreaming, but it would be awesome if it happened.

There’s always the chance when the new IP show goes stale 12-18 months after opening that it is retooled and redone. HEA and ROL don’t appear to have the lasting power of past shows.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member

Just Incase anyone cares, note the large 26kv or 13kv 3 phase pad transformers and switch gear installed inside this building. The only thing those would be used for is for large electric water pumps. So I’m guessing structures on this island and the other will be used for the water effects and such.

021b088b-6cf0-4a84-b6c8-0844b16d1c8a-jpeg.352072

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Wait, is this a serious comment? I missed this one somehow. If you were serious, could you please elaborate?
I was referencing ROL and that it originally was to have hundreds of floating lanterns that could manuver themselves throught the segment of the show. The tech didnt work so the idea was abandoned.

My point was that things (shows) change from originally planed even after expenses and time where spent. They could do the same for the 2020 show and keep Epcot Forever if it is a hit.

cjkeating

Wait, is this a serious comment? I missed this one somehow. If you were serious, could you please elaborate?

Not wanting to derail the thread, but to answer your question.

Rivers of Light had 100+ floating lanterns built for it, there is a preview clip from Disney Blogs YouTube showing them testing on Discovery River for a second.

The assumption was as they struggled to get the navigation for the 11 main floats to work that 100 lanterns was impossible/too time consuming. There was also a theory that the currents of the water were knocking the lanterns off course/over but I don't know how much credibility that had.

As Rivers of Light now works reliably assuming they still have the 100 lanterns I'm shocked they haven't been brought into the show, my suggestion in ROL threads previously was if they struggle to move in sync to just get them to remain static close to the shore to add more lights/colour on the river.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I didn't make the data....or did I ;) On topic did anyone in the area hear fireworks this morning around 5:00am? I heard some low booms but it didn't sound like thunder. Wasn't sure if there was any pyro testing happening.
I heard it as well. Figured it was from the marathon this morning

IMDREW

Not wanting to derail the thread, but to answer your question.

Rivers of Light had 100+ floating lanterns built for it, there is a preview clip from Disney Blogs YouTube showing them testing on Discovery River for a second.

The assumption was as they struggled to get the navigation for the 11 main floats to work that 100 lanterns was impossible/too time consuming. There was also a theory that the currents of the water were knocking the lanterns off course/over but I don't know how much credibility that had.

As Rivers of Light now works reliably assuming they still have the 100 lanterns I'm shocked they haven't been brought into the show, my suggestion in ROL threads previously was if they struggle to move in sync to just get them to remain static close to the shore to add more lights/colour on the river.
Completely agree. Unfortunately I think they don't want to spend another penny on ROL however.

The Empress Lilly

There’s always the chance when the new IP show goes stale 12-18 months after opening that it is retooled and redone. HEA and ROL don’t appear to have the lasting power of past shows.
The one nighttime show I ever got bored with was Dreams in DLP. And I loved that show, phenomenal. But similar to how as an adult you can only watch the same movie so many times, there is a limit to the amount of times you can watch a projection-centric show.

Fireworks by contrast never get old.

Or compare to how often during a trip you can do Philharmagic or the WS movies compared to Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This has been my fear too.

The difference in guest rating of RoL vs HEA has been understood to mean guests want movie ip, video projection, and don't get abstractions.
Yes. The lack of IP in RoL and the perception that this is the main issue with the DAK show is directly to blame for IP coming to the Epcot show in such a large amount.

MickeyMinnieMom

Yes. The lack of IP in RoL and the perception that this is the main issue with RoL is directly to blame for IP coming to the Epcot show in such a large amount.
I can understand that inference. And it may be correct for a majority of guests. I just thought that RoL was unbelievably boring -- IP or not -- and I went in REALLY hoping to like it as a different form of entertainment than a fireworks spectacular.

I've never been a fan of RoE. Although we do like some parts, and do enjoy our running joke about how nothing says UNITY like the earth splitting APART... ... :rolleyes: :hilarious:

P_Radden

Yes. The lack of IP in RoL and the perception that this is the main issue with the DAK show is directly to blame for IP coming to the Epcot show in such a large amount.
They need to cut RoL some slack and stop basing every single decision on quest satisfaction surveys. Another key point is that that show pretty much came online at the same time as Pandora. As a park guest, if you only have 1 day at AK on your trip, come dusk you have to make a decision to either 1) grab a seat for RoL or 2) Head to Pandora to see it come to life and maybe get to ride on FoP if the stand-by line isn't too long. I know on our last trip we skipped RoL in order to ride FoP a second time before park close.

And that is a bad decision to have to make. I really wanted to experience RoL but the desire to re-ride the newest and most bad a$$ attraction on property won that battle. 😕

ToTBellHop

I can understand that inference. And it may be correct for a majority of guests. I just thought that RoL was unbelievably boring -- IP or not -- and I went in REALLY hoping to like it as a different form of entertainment than a fireworks spectacular.

I've never been a fan of RoE. Although we do like some parts, and do enjoy our running joke about how nothing says UNITY like the earth splitting APART... ... :rolleyes: :hilarious:
I was obsessed with RoL during its development and wanted to love it. I couldn’t believe how boring it was. Unimpressive visuals, poor pacing. About the only thing I liked was the music but that’s not enough to make me want to see it again. If I’m at DAK for an evening, I’d rather see Pandora at night.

jaxonp

Throw some fireworks in ROL and the lame will go gaga for the show. :rolleyes: Come on folks, ROL is art and while not perfect, its the best show created in a long long time. There is a disturbing theme growing from guests everywhere, including this board, that all attractions and shows at WDW should be a version of what happens in the Magic Kingdom. Everyone wants to point the finger at Disney for making these choices to include more IP but when you see people posting about how the show is boring and it doesn't have this or that, then you see why they start to make the choices they make. I've seen ROL probably 6 or 7 times and every show has been different for a myriad of reasons. Where you sit, the weather, the wind, the people around you. This limitation of the show is a big problem but not one that I see them finding a solution to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom