News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

tirian

I can understand that inference. And it may be correct for a majority of guests. I just thought that RoL was unbelievably boring -- IP or not -- and I went in REALLY hoping to like it as a different form of entertainment than a fireworks spectacular.

Ditto for RoL, which I consider one of the most boring night shows in Disney history.

Apart from the infusion of cartoons, my concern about the new Epcot show is that it could be too close to World of Color, which is cool the first time but has little replay value. Disney’s new obsession with “greatest hits” video clips is almost two decades too late — it was all right in the early days of DVD special features — and doesn’t sustain the interest level of a new show. Fantasmic works because the clips were used to support a new story. HEA comes close; but my family, friends, and I have reached the point that we’re fine skipping it because it feels like a disjointed string of performances. We never skipped Wishes.

I hope Epcot’s new show has a recognizable storyline.

Edited to fix a host of auto-correct problems.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

I was obsessed with RoL during its development and wanted to love it. I couldn’t believe how boring it was. Unimpressive visuals, poor pacing. About the only thing I liked was the music but that’s not enough to make me want to see it again. If I’m at DAK for an evening, I’d rather see Pandora at night.

I'm almost with you, but I have seen it again and would continue to do so. I really like the music, and though the rest isn't great I still like it enough to watch again.

MickeyMinnieMom

Throw some fireworks in ROL and the lame will go gaga for the show. :rolleyes: Come on folks, ROL is art and while not perfect, its the best show created in a long long time. There is a disturbing theme growing from guests everywhere, including this board, that all attractions and shows at WDW should be a version of what happens in the Magic Kingdom. Everyone wants to point the finger at Disney for making these choices to include more IP but when you see people posting about how the show is boring and it doesn't have this or that, then you see why they start to make the choices they make. I've seen ROL probably 6 or 7 times and every show has been different for a myriad of reasons. Where you sit, the weather, the wind, the people around you. This limitation of the show is a big problem but not one that I see them finding a solution to.
You really should read the last couple of RoL posts more carefully. Both of us said we were looking forward to what we heard about RoL and were welcoming the idea of a non-fireworks, different form of entertainment.

RoL falls flat, has poor pacing, and to many people is boring. That has nothing to do with whether there is IP or fireworks in it or not.

jaxonp

You really should read the last couple of RoL posts more carefully. Both of us said we were looking forward to what we heard about RoL and were welcoming the idea of a non-fireworks, different form of entertainment.

RoL falls flat, has poor pacing, and to many people is boring. That has nothing to do with whether there is IP or fireworks in it or not.

I shouldn't worry about telling people what they should do since I didn't quote you.

The Empress Lilly

They need to cut RoL some slack and stop basing every single decision on quest satisfaction surveys. Another key point is that that show pretty much came online at the same time as Pandora. As a park guest, if you only have 1 day at AK on your trip, come dusk you have to make a decision to either 1) grab a seat for RoL or 2) Head to Pandora to see it come to life and maybe get to ride on FoP if the stand-by line isn't too long. I know on our last trip we skipped RoL in order to ride FoP a second time before park close.

And that is a bad decision to have to make. I really wanted to experience RoL but the desire to re-ride the newest and most bad a$$ attraction on property won that battle. 😕
I had to choose between FaP and RoL too, and picked the latter. ;)

And don't get me wrong, I love Pandora. I just had a few really good shows of RoL, before the incomprehensible decision to remove the live actors.

I do agree with every criticism of RoL. Lackluster, no clear story told from an opening to an end, emotionally unengrossing music (I would love to love the soundtrack, but it hasn't clicked for me yet). But still, once I accepted that not every night show is a life affirming, epic story of the universe, emotional titanic such as RoE, then RoL is a quite lovable show in a beautiful setting. With better intentions than execution indeed, but intention matters too.

TTA94

I was obsessed with RoL during its development and wanted to love it. I couldn’t believe how boring it was. Unimpressive visuals, poor pacing. About the only thing I liked was the music but that’s not enough to make me want to see it again. If I’m at DAK for an evening, I’d rather see Pandora at night.

I was obsessed as well and the anticipation was intense lol... When the delay got announced I was devastated not gonna lie lol, the wait was a killer! As is the wait for MK to bring back a nighttime parade very special to my heart and highly missed! But that’s another story and thread lol.
Then RoL finally opened and it was a major let down! I wanted to like, and to this day, but I just can’t.

One of the problems I feel is many people, myself included, were expecting/wanting a non IP version of something similar to WoC. Sadly that was far from the case. Had that actually happened RoL would have been amazing and very popular.

TTA94

Which is doubly silly since I don't recall the reception of the Jungle Book version being much better. RoL is poorly paced and doesn't have spectacle to make up for it.

Pretty sure if there was a Lion King Alive With Magic this year it would be Very popular. Disney is missing a good opportunity with that. Meanwhile they could rework RoL and open a new show as part of the 50th. But that would make to much sense :banghead:

bcoachable

I think the worst part of rol is the seating... listen, you cram people’s backs that close to the knees of the people behind them, and the next incarnation of “Frozen 2” would fall flat with the typical Disney fan...

JohnD

Because of the animals, there won't be fireworks in AK. I agree that they need an improved show.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
The WDW website says:
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth will be ending in the second half of 2019. The show is currently planned to run through the end of summer 2019 to make way for a new nighttime fireworks spectacular.

Right now the calendar goes all the way out to August 28 and times are shown.

Well, I just booked our flight and room for Sep 30 and October 1.

August 28 is a Wednesday and not a significant day (other than being my daughter's birthday). I think that is just the date the calendar currently goes through.

In reality, if they are truly going with the date that Epcot Forever is ready, then its too far out to know.

I will plan around it (I MEAN SCRAMBLE LIKE A MADMAN TO CHANGE EVERYTHING) if a different date is announced, but I and the Wife plan to be there!!! (just don't be on our daughters birthday, don't be on our daughters birthday, don't be on our daughter's birthday.....)

Last edited:

TOCPE82

Is HEA really the most popular show ever at MK? Or does it just seem the busiest because you almost NEED to be in the hub to not miss a bunch of it?

Not trying to stir up old debates, I promise. :angelic:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Is HEA really the most popular show ever at MK? Or does it just seem the busiest because you almost NEED to be in the hub to not miss a bunch of it?

Not trying to stir up old debates, I promise. :angelic:

It's a show that replaced a nighttime parade and fireworks show. It's not a bad show, and depending on where you view it, it's probably better than what it replaced.

raymusiccity

I've gotta be honest, I have no idea why the perception of Rivers of Light around here went from "great concept with real heart, but flawed in execution" to its badness being practically a meme.
Probably based on the show not living up to it's hype. Most would admit it boarders on boring and moves along at a languid pace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom