News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

TTA94

It's especially jarring because Rivers of Light IS the spiritual successor to both Illuminations and Tapestry of Nations. One that's been crippled by technical issues and the loss of the Shamans that were the modern Sage of Time/Dreamseekers, but a good effort nonetheless.

Was secretly hopeing ROL would get replaced by a Lion King show later this year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney Legend Ron Logan talks about the story behind Illuminations: Reflection of Earth, including a flat look at the images from the globe.

Prescient...

trainplane3

Disney Legend Ron Logan talks about the story behind Illuminations: Reflection of Earth, including a flat look at the images from the globe.

I'm not able to watch it right now but does they cover the Holiday tag? If so, look for @marni1971's picture.
Also from that panel

Here's hoping October 1 is the final showing. I'd launch money at this so hard.

GlacierGlacier

Intresting sendoff idea but where would you put it?? Showcase Plaza? Can't do it in America Gardens, you wouldn't see ROE. America Gardens had no walls before 1994.
You could it in America gardens and pipe the live music throughout the park.

Or take over the FP+ spot for an orchesta. On a slope. Hm.

Or the area by the bridge from UK to France.

Or the little flat bit by Italy.

jrhwdw

Any DL people helping Epcot with thieir shows? WE DON'T NEED THEM HERE!!! Not when they're downsizing their shows! I'll take IP over DL's help!

MrPromey

Two things strike me about this:

First, how unimpressive that video footage on the globe really is.*

Second, how amazing of a job they did with the pacing and tying-in of disparate elements on this show.

*I've long thought that the biggest drawback of this show in the modern era was with the globe itself and how having the curved pieces of screen on such a large scale was awesome and groundbreaking for the time it was made but how today it looks dated and difficult to see and feels like it should have been replaced with a screen covering the entire glob.

Seeing the video and looking at it all flat, I realize how a lot of what it shows is kind of a glorified powerpoint presentation and that if there were full viewing available, they'd need to replace that footage with something much more compelling.

That's not a nock against what they did, though. Clearly it worked for all these years and anything more put into it would actually have been lost as a result of the limited viewing on that rotating globe. It just shows how tightly things were integrated in the original design.

Nothing was over or under done for what they were trying to do and it feels like they made the best possible show they could for the time - a different era to be sure.

Last edited:

WDW Monorail

Something like the greatest Super Bowl halftime show ever!

I don’t disagree with you at all but that show and some of the other Disney themed halftime shows are generally accepted as being the worst halftime shows for the Superbowl.

My guess the reason Illuminations is being murdered is the cost of the 400 gallons of propane burned by the barge every night and the inability to sell plush from the lack of IP.

Unreal. I can imagine it now. “Let’s replace this 20 year old show which many people find boring because one set of effects costs $800.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
... and what is?

The inclusions of IP, correct? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Now you can get angry!

Also... the current iteration's infrastructure is falling apart. So, WDW has the decision: spend the money to fix it, or, spend the same amount to do something new which generally drives up numbers. [The same decision which led to GMR becoming MMRR.]

And since Epcot's numbers have been flat and about to be embarrassed by being the least attended Disney park in Orlando once SWL opens... they chose to go with a new show.

Which has IP.

Which is so complicated with floats and drones and lasers and projections and sharks, that it can't be ready in time for 2019 to counteract the SWL onslaught. So... they're doing an interim show dedicated to Epcot for one year ( Oct 2019- Sept 2020).

Then the IP show in Oct 2020.

Then you can storm Epcot with torches, because the current ones may be gone! (Rotting gas pipes.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom