News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

TalkingHead

image.jpeg

Side note: this would have been a natural fit for the DAK night show, like the nature version of World of Color.

TTA94

I would hope they use something more appropriately size.

If it's a compass, then if it's coin-shaped, or two coins intersecting at its center poll, then they can spin it. Or, it can be a cube, or four coins creating a cubic-like structure. In that case, it wouldn't have to spin.

Maybe the centerpiece will be a compass and then large “window” barges, one for each country.

Kitchandro

Yeh this sounds poo. Iger really is a bit of a douchebag isn't he?

Epcot is supposed to be a unique place celebrating certain things regarding the future, communication, technology, culture, etc. It is not really about Disney films or the film franchises that Disney has a right to use. If IPs must destroy almost everything original in WDW, as seems to be the way things are going, Epcot should have been at least left as somewhat of a homage to Walt's vision of it.

Illuminations was a brilliant show. Whilst I can sort of understand renewing interest with an updated show, the theming of this new one sounds extremely cheap and nothing to do with what Epcot is supposed to stand for. It's only a matter of time before Spaceship Earth goes the same wat I feel.

Kitchandro

As an aside, I think some people on here would be ok with the entire Orlando resort becoming Marvel World - as long as it made good business sense to the CEO.

I've never really understood the 'generating revenue' argument. You (presumably) are not a director at Disney. Yes the Disney company have a legal right to do whatever they like with the parks, but they have a moral responsibility to provide something that provides real joy to people since that's what they're trying to sell.

And you as a fan of them have a responsibility to criticise them when you aren't enthralled by something since it's people like you that made them generate so much money in the first place.

We're not here to put ourselves in a rich man's shoes.

Marc Davis Fan

Whilst I can sort of understand renewing interest with an updated show, the theming of this new one sounds extremely cheap and nothing to do with what Epcot is supposed to stand for.

@marni1971, if I may ask, is this close to your opinion about how the new show is looking? Do you maintain any hope that it will be meaningful and inspiring (and not just to young children)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971, if I may ask, is this close to your opinion about how the new show is looking? Do you maintain any hope that it will be meaningful and inspiring (and not just to young children)?
It isn’t cheap. It’ll be IP driven. For If it works or not we'll have to see. I’d like to say eye of the beholder and all that.

It certainly isn’t EPCOT Center. But that coffin is nailed.

trainplane3

It isn’t cheap. It’ll be IP driven. For If it works or not we'll have to see. I’d like to say eye of the beholder and all that.

It certainly isn’t EPCOT Center. But that coffin is nailed.
So we should probably expect another RoL floating lanterns situation for some parts of this. Hopefully they don't put out a promo video showing off a neat effect for it to only get cut.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
My guess, but hope I'm wrong....it will be IP based (loosely) on countries: Aladdin (obviously not moroccan but that never stopped them), Mulan, Ratatouille, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Mary Poppins, Coco, some others thrown in.

TwilightZone

I'm a wait and see type of gal. I've decided I shall wait for this show to start and see what I truly feel about it. Because the information we have now is minimal at best. Maybe this will the best and most epcot worthy fireworks show ever even if it includes IP. Maybe it will be the worst thing since light magic. We'll see.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yeh this sounds poo. Iger really is a bit of a douchebag isn't he?

Epcot is supposed to be a unique place celebrating certain things regarding the future, communication, technology, culture, etc. It is not really about Disney films or the film franchises that Disney has a right to use. If IPs must destroy almost everything original in WDW, as seems to be the way things are going, Epcot should have been at least left as somewhat of a homage to Walt's vision of it.

Illuminations was a brilliant show. Whilst I can sort of understand renewing interest with an updated show, the theming of this new one sounds extremely cheap and nothing to do with what Epcot is supposed to stand for. It's only a matter of time before Spaceship Earth goes the same wat I feel.

As an aside, I think some people on here would be ok with the entire Orlando resort becoming Marvel World - as long as it made good business sense to the CEO.

I've never really understood the 'generating revenue' argument. You (presumably) are not a director at Disney. Yes the Disney company have a legal right to do whatever they like with the parks, but they have a moral responsibility to provide something that provides real joy to people since that's what they're trying to sell.

And you as a fan of them have a responsibility to criticise them when you aren't enthralled by something since it's people like you that made them generate so much money in the first place.

We're not here to put ourselves in a rich man's shoes.
Well, you have two ways to make your feelings apparent to TWDC: (1) quit going and send them a letter explaining why, or (2) buy some stock, go to the annual meeting, request some time to speak, and let them know in person how you feel.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
...but they have a moral responsibility to provide something that provides real joy to people since that's what they're trying to sell..

The only moral responsibility they have is to provide a safe environment and not offend people. Everything else is a fiscal responsibility (if they screw up the parks, the guests will stop showing up and they lose money)

180º

Am I right in assuming that the Earth globe’s size was largely limited by the size of its storage canal? In that case, I expect the next centerpiece to be similar in size unless it is kept in the lagoon all day or it comes apart to fit past the drawbridge. Maybe a flatter object, say, I dunno, a compass, may be able to squeeze through sideways while being much larger in height and width?

polynesiangirl

I just spent the last week or so in Orlando and watched RoE again while I was there, in part because I know my chances to see it are limited now.

It's still good. I love it. I'm going to be really sad to see it go, as it's been around for so long and I'm so fond of it. I am willing to see what they've got up their sleeve, though, even knowing that (for me, and I know for others as well,) it can be a very mixed bag over at WDW these days. Sometimes they do occasionally pleasantly surprise me.

At least RoE has had a good long run.

TTA94

@marni1971 Maybe this was already mentioned but there will not be a interim show anymore correct? and the show we get next summer will be the full permanent replacement?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom