News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

RSoxNo1

Bob Chapek asked the Imagineers to "Dream Big" for Epcot. The park used to be aspirational and inspirational, it used to ambitious and be fueled by the ideals and ideas of the future. I understand that the future of the park will have intellectual properties and it certainly could while still satisfying those ideas.

While I know that Black Panther as a character isn't able to be added to the parks under current agreements, the ideals of that movie would be welcome to the future of Epcot as much as any other existing IP in Disney's fold.

Consider Black Panther's speech to the UN in the end credits:

"Wakanda will no longer watch from the shadows. We cannot. We must not. We will work to be an example of how we as brothers and sisters on this earth should treat each other. Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe."

While there's a likely dig at our current presidential administration in that dialogue, it's ideals are very much in line with World Showcase, and nothing is more quintessential to World Showcase and Epcot than it's nighttime show.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@marni1971 Maybe this was already mentioned but there will not be a interim show anymore correct? and the show we get next summer will be the full permanent replacement?

Our insiders have confirmed the interim show is dead. What's happening next year is the new permanent show. And if hints be read accurately, the new show begins exactly one year from this evening.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm glad that I have found out the show is going to be rubbish ahead of going to see it.
Means I can concentrate on DCL holidays for the foreseeable future.

Marc Davis Fan

Partly. Lack of IP is seen as that shows main problem.

Amazing. How is it possible that they can think that way? If RoL were a spectacular show, with amazing technology and effects, it would not matter whether it had IP. That's so obvious. Geez.

I'm still optimistic that they go light on the IP, or at least make it a "supporting role" instead of the focus (as has been mentioned to in fact be the case, which is good to hear)...

Father Robinson

Am I right in assuming that the Earth globe’s size was largely limited by the size of its storage canal? In that case, I expect the next centerpiece to be similar in size unless it is kept in the lagoon all day or it comes apart to fit past the drawbridge. Maybe a flatter object, say, I dunno, a compass, may be able to squeeze through sideways while being much larger in height and width?
These are the kind of questions we should be asking. People always complained about the EG size, but it couldn't be any larger and still fit through the canal and past the bridge, it was a tight squeeze as it was. And if they decided to leave it on the lagoon all day (with no access to maintenance) people would've complained it didn't fit the theme and was an eyesore. So what's the solution, dig up the African area and make a larger canal? Logistics must always be considered when discussing or debating decisions that the WDC makes and I think for most of us, myself included, we react to them with our hearts not our brains.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Am I right in assuming that the Earth globe’s size was largely limited by the size of its storage canal? In that case, I expect the next centerpiece to be similar in size unless it is kept in the lagoon all day or it comes apart to fit past the drawbridge. Maybe a flatter object, say, I dunno, a compass, may be able to squeeze through sideways while being much larger in height and width?
Or a centrepiece that is collapsible / extendable ?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Or a centrepiece that is collapsible / extendable ?
Or like this but larger
91hMZcXoqwL._SX466_.jpg

;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Saw RoE last night from the FP section, so, sorta got to see what some of the projections actually look like (and boy, what was happening in Madagascar was sick!!).

Anyway, when we got to the history of human achievements in the arts, they chose Munch's "The Scream" to show.

What?

The ultimate show of human optimism and they chose, of all the famous pieces of art throughout human history, "The Scream"?

Hey why not "The Rape of the Sabine Women"? Or Ruben's "The Fall of the Damned" or "Massacre of the Innocents"? Or Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son"?

But, let me say something nice about Illuminations: Last night, they didn't play "Popcorn" on a pan flute right before it started.

TwilightZone

Partly. Lack of IP is seen as that shows main problem.
I was right!
I wonder if we are to blame for the new epcot show to be IP based. I mean, we all did complain about rivers of light, which was the first non IP night show in years. Maybe disney listened to that and took that information too wrong and now we have this.
Doing pretty well in my guessing skills this thread!

Stripes

@marni1971 I was wondering if you could tell us what that big spherical thing was in the blue sky art from D23. (It was surrounded by fountains.) I'm guessing it's not happening so just wondering what it was?

RSoxNo1

Saw RoE last night from the FP section, so, sorta got to see what some of the projections actually look like (and boy, what was happening in Madagascar was sick!!).

Anyway, when we got to the history of human achievements in the arts, they chose Munch's "The Scream" to show.

What?

The ultimate show of human optimism and they chose, of all the famous pieces of art throughout human history, "The Scream"?

Hey why not "The Rape of the Sabine Women"? Or Ruben's "The Fall of the Damned" or "Massacre of the Innocents"? Or Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son"?

But, let me say something nice about Illuminations: Last night, they didn't play "Popcorn" on a pan flute right before it started.
Go during the holidays and a certain British forum member can be seen...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom