News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

trainplane3

It just felt like a popular Disney song highlight reel with no care put into what park it’s in and what IPs are associated with the park.
There it is, the thing that bothers me the most.

Well that and it playing it's entire hand of surprises in the first 90 seconds, how the pavilions only get lit up in the beginning section for a quick bit, and using the new Epcot theme two times about 10 seconds each.

More then anything that soundtrack needs help though. It's as bad as RoL: We Are One when it comes to transitions.

FigmentForever96

I’m really glad to hear people, such as yourself, are enjoying it. The theme of “we’re all in this together” is evident-
I sure think the storytelling giant, that is Disney, could have woven it together in a better way- such as was mentioned- light up the country the song is representing- so simple, yet would have been a cool nod to each pavilion/song.
I thought the same about lightning up the countries, probably a needed touch and the show could’ve used some nice transitions. I was a ROE die hard. I went to the final shows and screamed murdered knowing what was coming. So I’m shocked I avtually liked it

DKampy

I must say….I have been here all week the general audiences seem to digging it…they give off a very different vibe than those that post here…I have been asked a few times if I had seen it and wasn’t It great…people seem to love it…From my vantage point it Is a hit

vikescaper

I’m really glad to hear people, such as yourself, are enjoying it. The theme of “we’re all in this together” is evident-
I sure think the storytelling giant, that is Disney, could have woven it together in a better way- such as was mentioned- light up the country the song is representing- so simple, yet would have been a cool nod to each pavilion/song.
I think lighting up the country for the corresponding song would be a great idea and a great nod to the original IllumiNations. I was also thinking what if they put images from the corresponding country on the tacos and stargate instead of images from the movie.

aladdin2007

So I think I finally nailed down my biggest issue with the show: half of the songs belong in other parks.

I’m not actually looking up the playlist, so I’m probably going to miss a segment, but out of all of them, I’d really only consider Coco, Mulan, Hunchback, and I can make the case for Brave and Aladdin (given the arrangements used) as IP associated with the park.

Perhaps the biggest offenders were the Lion King and Jungle Book, which are really the two IP’s most associated with DAK (which now can’t have an IP based show without overlap). Plus, unlike how HEA used the obscure That’s What Friends are For and Mufasa Monologue to get a pass, this uses some of the songs most prominent from the film.

Also, Tiana and Beauty and the Beast definitely belonged in MK.

It just felt like a popular Disney song highlight reel with no care put into what park it’s in and what IPs are associated with the park.

Now, I know there’s a lot of “this show should even have IP” and, while fair, I don’t see us getting another one of those for a while, if ever. So, as kind of a finale, my armchair playlist for a Harm type show.

Scrap the opening number and replace it with Vuelie from Frozen. The few seconds that songs is featured in the opening really set the tone well. Replace the sunrise with the Northern Lights and your good.

Same Format with the individual segments except fewer cuts to black, using the following IP’s (and light up the stinking country it represents while you do it):
Coco, Mulan, Pinocchio or Lady+Tramp, Aladdin, Hunchback+Rat, Brave.

Finish it off with a finale song that’s actually original. Someday is a nice song but I found it’s lyrics to be a tad… basic? Not sure if ending it on a reflective note with a slower song aka Harm and RoE is the right move; it doesn’t really match the tone of the show to be honest.

Anyways, there are my extended thoughts that nobody asked for.
This is what I don't get, they touted for how long leading up to this that it would have an all new original score and original song! So what happened? All they did was mash over used songs together (badly at that) and its shouting blaring versions its not even good singing. They didn't even attempt to match anything to the pavilions, just chuffed stuff together with no reasoning.

NoChesterHester

Just got back from a trip and was expecting to hate this. I didn’t. It feels big and grand and it is beautiful. There is more pyro then I expected.

I loved ROE but it was long in the tooth and the tech in harmonious makes that fact more evident. My guess is a lot of the folks on here haven’t seen it in person and judging from the crowd reactions in person the reaction of the die hard fans does not reflect the general populous.

DonaldDoleWhip

Just got back from a trip and was expecting to hate this. I didn’t. It feels big and grand and it is beautiful. There is more pyro then I expected.

I loved ROE but it was long in the tooth and the tech in harmonious makes that fact more evident. My guess is a lot of the folks on here haven’t seen it in person and judging from the crowd reactions in person the reaction of the die hard fans does not reflect the general populous.
To be fair, many of us who've seen the show in person have acknowledged the different reaction among in-park guests. Here are my thoughts from 9/30:

I also watched it in person tonight. Grabbed a decent spot in Japan (not waterfront) a minute before it began.

View attachment 590219

To be clear, many of the segments are fun to watch, but I never really got the feels and am still not feeling it as a whole.

It's like a weird hodgepodge of HEA, World of Color, and Mickey's Mix Magic (dance along to your favorites!), finishing off with its most serious moment out of nowhere, à la Peace on Earth.

That said, the crowds tonight seemed to be enjoying it. I heard many positive reactions, ranging from "I like this show!" to "they should put something like this in all the parks." :oops: So yesterday's reaction was definitely skewed a little by the Epcot/RoE purists.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
We saw Harmonious on Wednesday and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to hate this show after reading some of this thread, but I thought it was good. If they have to add Disney music then this is a good way to do it. I really liked the musical variations and pieces before and after Disney songs and how they blend together, like the Bollywood music before Jungle Book. The special effects on the water are fantastic. There are so many fountains and lights, it looks amazing. It's like an Olympic Games opening ceremony every night.

After the show the fountains, lights and music keep going. It's nice to stick around to watch this and avoid the crowds walking to the exit. I wish they would turn this on before the show as well, as everybody is just waiting around the lagoon for 1+ hours, staring at a black void. If they turn on the fountains and lights with some nice background music an hour or two before the show it would be quite nice and more festive.

I find that it's a good thing that they keep renewing the shows. Illuminations and Wishes were great, but it was time to replace them. I think Enchantment is much worse than Happily Ever After, but at least they made a new show. By keeping the same nighttime show around for 1 or 2 decades people get too attached and will be upset and disappointed when it changes.

NoChesterHester

We saw Harmonious on Wednesday and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to hate this show after reading some of this thread, but I thought it was good. If they have to add Disney music then this is a good way to do it. I really liked the musical variations and pieces before and after Disney songs and how they blend together, like the Bollywood music before Jungle Book. The special effects on the water are fantastic. There are so many fountains and lights, it looks amazing. It's like an Olympic Games opening ceremony every night.

After the show the fountains, lights and music keep going. It's nice to stick around to watch this and avoid the crowds walking to the exit. I wish they would turn this on before the show as well, as everybody is just waiting around the lagoon for 1+ hours, staring at a black void. If they turn on the fountains and lights with some nice background music an hour or two before the show it would be quite nice and more festive.

I find that it's a good thing that they keep renewing the shows. Illuminations and Wishes were great, but it was time to replace them. I think Enchantment is much worse than Happily Ever After, but at least they made a new show. By keeping the same nighttime show around for 1 or 2 decades people get too attached and will be upset and disappointed when it changes.

Right on. The post show music and light show is a vast improvement. Really improves the atmosphere.

Notes from Neverland

Finally saw this in person and I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. It's a spectacle to say the least. That being said, it has no business in Epcot and the decisions surrounding the show are baffling. It's a Magic Kingdom show through and through, but if you're going to do that, why not use some original stuff? How is the incredibly strong "The Magic Is Calling" song only used in the post-show?!

Also worth noting one of the barges is glitching out badly already, so that doesn't bode well.

wishiwere@wdw

I’ve had the same observation. We’ve seen it 3 times and each time the crowd reaction really surprised me. Even the chatter on the way out was extremely upbeat. As I’ve said before, it definitely has its issues; all of which is clearly outlined in this thread lol. But this show doesn’t seem to have the same level of hatred as that other show in the Magic Kingdom.

Epcot82Guy

I do wonder if there is some self selection here. From personal experience, this has killed interest in Epcot and Disney for some of us. Others I know have finally been priced out, especially DVC. And so there is a chance the crowd there is the die hard family and character crowd. They aren't at discerning (not meant as a dig) and don't know Disney history as much. So they can get away with less depth because that crowd will like it. It's overall a reduction in quality (solely meaning a version that would have appealed to both crowds) but with a reduction in crowd level - focusing on those who will pay the money and say it's awesome in their view. I can see the business vision. Though also the potential for short sightedness.

Just a thought!

mikejs78

Premium Member
I do wonder if there is some self selection here. From personal experience, this has killed interest in Epcot and Disney for some of us. Others I know have finally been priced out, especially DVC. And so there is a chance the crowd there is the die hard family and character crowd. They aren't at discerning (not meant as a dig) and don't know Disney history as much. So they can get away with less depth because that crowd will like it. It's overall a reduction in quality (solely meaning a version that would have appealed to both crowds) but with a reduction in crowd level - focusing on those who will pay the money and say it's awesome in their view. I can see the business vision. Though also the potential for short sightedness.

Just a thought!
I've noticed even some Epcot purists having positive reactions to the show (while recognizing that the IP inclusion is not great). Maybe it's just is an impressive show in person.

Epcot82Guy

I've noticed even some Epcot purists having positive reactions to the show (while recognizing that the IP inclusion is not great). Maybe it's just is an impressive show in person.
To be fair, I think it's case by case. I've heard everything across the broad. And, as you noted, it didn't line up to the person's IP on vs Purist vs GP status.

I do think the one objective disappointment is the missed opportunity. As an admitted purist, the idea of this show should have been a home run for everyone but the non-IP crowd. And mostly given how the first Epcot IP show could lean into the story, emotion and heartstrings. I've never heard that about this show from anyone. "Fun" and "visually impressive" are the biggest compliments. Which to me shows the biggest fail and cheap out given potential.

I fully expected to hate this because it was objectively one of the best stories and tech combos they ever did. (In the wrong park, but only as a purist.). Not the Disney+ advertisement it ended up being. (Not my words. Those of someone who enjoyed the show.)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Watched Harmonius in the front center of the lagoon viewing tonight. I thought it was really good.

The barges are not necessary at all though. It’s a shame the structures look so ugly. They could have done more of a world of color thing with the projections for sure.

The actually spectacular concept itself would be better than MK’s. And it should have gone to MK LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom