News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

donaldtoo

The post show Spaceship Earth lights looks like the best part of the show.

Just my opinion, but, I thought the lights on SE were tacky.
It used to look classy the way it was lighted at night, now it looks like a carnival ride.

As far as the “Lagoondoggle” goes…
I posted somewhere here a while back, that for how downright crappy the giant star gate and lopsided tacos look livin’ in the lagoon full-time, this better be the best freakin’ nighttime show ever produced anywhere by anybody.
And…

E885256B-93C0-4521-818C-6AF17D9627A2.gif

Cliff

He goes into a breakdown of that thought and talks in detail about representation. There are absolutely some valid points there. Having said that, it doesn't take away the fact that there is a poor connective thread to all the segments, reduced pyro, restricted viewing angles and visual intrusions during the daytime.

I would absolutely say it's a better show than EPCOT Forever, but for the hype train and the visual intrusion during the day time, this show had to be much better than it was, IMO.
What in the world? Are you kidding me? Does anybody on planet Earth see any "black" or "white" or "brown" or "man" or "woman"....or ANY specific demographic promotion in Reflections of Earth? Of course not!,..that show is literally about every single person than on Earth. It's even all-inclusive of Earth's animals as well! It's about ALL living things on Earth!....millions of years of it!

Seriously?

TTA94

Enough negative feedback yet for them to make adjustments to the show like re add all the things they cut and hopefully fix the soundtrack?

CrashNet

Anybody know if there’s a blogger or site filming it tonight? Just curious about a side by side comparison of last night to tonight…if anything changes…

Giss Neric

Enough negative feedback yet for them to make adjustments to the show like re add all the things they cut and hopefully fix the soundtrack?
I'm watching a bunch of live streams tonight and people seemed to love it, judging by the reactions of the audience. Watching it again made me appreciate it more but it still lacked the feels... I feel like the soundtrack for Rivers of Light would fit this show more.

Cliff

I feel like the post-show message/music is causing some of the "Is that it?" confusion into thinking that something is going to happen after similar to HEA's finale.
Oh yes!,....the "Is that it?" phenomenon among everybody is a REAL thing!

Our crowd was like:

"Is it over now?....yes....I mean no, not yet....yes, I think it's not over...are you sure?...I think I'm sure....so that's everything?...yes, maybe...so,...prolly"

etc,...etc......

MrPromey

For me, at least on video, this had all the depth of a disney-fied extended version of Viva Vision.

Same pointless spectacle but more drawn out.

Obviously, there were some brief, wonderfully thought out things like how they merge water, actual lights and visuals on the screens in interesting ways but it's all in service of what feels like a weak show.

This feels like the "story" was an after-thought once they nailed down the technical specs. Like they had a fuzzy idea of how that was going to go as an IP theme but more like they pushed a show into their awesome new hardware rather than building hardware to support any specific vision of a show.

It seems like little of consequence really happens on any of the screens for most of the run time and like there is little to no timing in consideration to what's going on with the screens vs. the fireworks so both areas of view are competing for your attention at the same time rather than playing off each other.

Also, with as much pointless filler as is used on the taco screens for much of the show, I feel like their primary purpose is to hide the monstrosity of the machinery behind them. So much of the time, they have screensaver-like visuals which feel as though they're there just to be there.

Hopefully, they'll take the technical tricks they've learned from this and roll them into something better somewhere on property in the future so the loss of our sight-lines and the loss of a show that actually had depth doesn't end up being for nothing long-term.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The thing with social media is that anyone except some former presidents can have an account and post things, so something posted on social media even if it's liked by a handful of people doesn't really represent anything other than a random person's point of view. This is why it always annoys me when media outlets quote the reaction on social media to something and it's just a few random tweets without a particularly high degree of engagement. In this case, hell, even I have more followers than this guy on Twitter and no-one cares what I think!

It's actually worse than that -- even if someone on Twitter has two million followers, or the tweet has thousands of responses, it's still a tiny percentage of the actual population. I've read before that even the full number of Twitter accounts isn't all that big, and a huge percentage of those accounts are never used. The number of accounts that actually engage regularly is relatively tiny.

It has so many flaws from a statistical/data sciences standpoint that it's basically garbage data that doesn't really tell you anything.

DonaldDoleWhip

I also watched it in person tonight. Grabbed a decent spot in Japan (not waterfront) a minute before it began.

1633051804073.jpeg

To be clear, many of the segments are fun to watch, but I never really got the feels and am still not feeling it as a whole.

It's like a weird hodgepodge of HEA, World of Color, and Mickey's Mix Magic (dance along to your favorites!), finishing off with its most serious moment out of nowhere, à la Peace on Earth.

That said, the crowds tonight seemed to be enjoying it. I heard many positive reactions, ranging from "I like this show!" to "they should put something like this in all the parks." :oops: So yesterday's reaction was definitely skewed a little by the Epcot/RoE purists.

Tom Morrow

Alright, had to see it in person. I hated it. Despite knowing it was a Bob Chapek IP fest, I tried my hardest to like it, but I wanted it to be over only a few minutes in... and it just kept going.... and going.

The positives:
- I'm glad they kept the Epcot Forever BGM as I had grown fond of it and, while somewhat generic, at least it's not IP.
- Thank god they used adult announcers and not kids like Epcot Forever had.
- The tech certainly is cool and the show is pretty. There's no denying that IllumiNations would have gained a lot from some of this tech.

The negatives:
- No pacing. No flow. No energy. The show is segmented, as are all the other new shows, but nothing matters. Nothing builds. A segment starts, goes BALLS TO THE WALL FOR A REALLY LONG TIME, and then stops. Silence. Then the next one starts. Repeat several times until it's over. There's no meaning, no emotion. It's just pretty and there and nothing more. Happily Ever After was segmented too, but it at least had an overarching theme and narration to tie it together and bookend it.
- Lack of pyro. Remember when people complained that a long segment of ROE had no pyro? This show must have about 75% less pyro than IllumiNations and much more time spent looking at screens. How ironic. This is a fountain and projection show more than anything (because that saves money).
- The stargate and tacos look pretty all lit up, but their slow movement transitions are not interesting. They are not enough kinetic movement to be entertaining, nor are the lame animations on the tacos. And there are very, very long segments - and a LOT of them - where this is all you are looking at. This was definitely not worth destroying the beauty of the lagoon over.
- The music - while I like the actual songs chosen, the arrangements here are so over-layered and so overdone. It was bombastic overkill that did not at all match the very sparsely-changing visuals.
- Then, after way too long, it just kind of ends. It doesn't feel like it's ending, you only know because the narration tells you it's ending.

And of course, this doesn't belong in Epcot at all. I tried my best to ignore that and hoped that the show itself would be good enough for me to not care, but it isn't. Not even close.

Then, as I walked out, I heard a bunch of people fawning over it and someone say "JuSt BeCaUsE iT HaD CLaSsiCaL MuSiC DiDn'T MaKe iT GoOd" (in reference to ROE). So I screamed internally, knowing that my opinion is in the minority and the average new guest is going to eat it up because they don't think of it beyond "pretty colors I can post to Instagram", and this soulless, emotionless synergy stuff is the future of WDW.

Just my opinion, but, I thought the lights on SE were tacky.
It used to look classy the way it was lighted at night, now it looks like a carnival ride.

I sort of agree. I think the points of light should be reduced in brightness by maybe 30% and the spotlights should still be used as fill lighting. I also think it should "twinkle" in default mode rather than having them all at 100%.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom