News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

mikejs78

Premium Member
lol, I always get the picture in my mind of a bunch of old men with white hair, no teeth, sitting in rockin chairs in front of the old folks home every day saying....."well in my day Disney use too"
I'm barely 40, married with two young boys, and my hair is dark brown (although the grey is starting to creep in). Yet I miss the old Epcot of my youth, the one that was so awe-inspiring that it inspired me to become interested in technology, which eventually became my career.

So no, not all of us are sitting on rocking chairs with white hair and no teeth. There are reasons many of us have a particular affinity for Epcot.

Marc Davis Fan

That’s one of the problems. Show should be fantastic.

And thus we have what’s happening at Epcot.

...meaning the “we don’t want to end up with another only-moderately-popular nighttime show, so rather than recognizing that RoL’s weaknesses are due to its lack of spectacle, we will blame it on a lack of IP, and compensate by shoving lots of IP into the RoE replacement, and in doing so make it childish rather than moving and profound” strategy?

Edit: I think they know that the lack of spectacle is the weakness of RoL, but they don’t want to risk releasing another “disappointing” nighttime show, so they’re following their strategy of “including IP makes it a safer bet.” (The main problem with that strategy, of course, is that including IP in everything makes the holistic experience of the parks weaker and less immersive in the long term, but I’m preaching to the choir on that here...)

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

...meaning the “we don’t want to end up with another only-moderately-popular nighttime show, so rather than recognizing that RoL’s weaknesses are due to its lack of spectacle, we will blame it on a lack of IP, and compensate by shoving lots of IP into the RoE replacement, and in doing so make it childish rather than moving and profound” strategy?
I think Disney believes that IP is spectacle, especially with how fireworks shows are becoming more reliant on projection mapping and cartoon characters.

jt04

Well people do go to Disney parks expecting Disney stuff.

brb1006

Well people do go to Disney parks expecting Disney stuff.

Remember when Walt Disney World and Epcot merchandise used to be like this?

Walt Disney World (Magic Kingdom)
erm129188LARGE.jpg

erm202189LARGE.jpg

erm301388LARGE.jpg

Epcot

ecb205723SMALL.jpg

erm201023SMALL.jpg

Now it's all generic stuff since the Disney Parks branding.

jt04

erm129188LARGE.jpg

erm202189LARGE.jpg

erm301388LARGE.jpg

Epcot

ecb205723SMALL.jpg

erm201023SMALL.jpg

I completely understand your opinion, however judging be attendance the branding works. Just look at the lines for m&g' s.

Tomorrowland being restored is a sign they are trying to please both sides. IMO.

trainplane3

Doesn't mean every single thing has to be based on an existing IP. Most of the Magic Kingdom's iconic attractions were not based on a specific movie or tv show and they still hold up today.
This. On my first trip (97 or 98), we spent a day in MK. My parents planned for 2 MK days, and 1 day each for Epcot and MGM. Change of plans thanks to me. I wanted to go to Epcot again because it was all new and unique to me. If I wanted to see Mickey/Peter Pan/Lion King, etc, I could watch them on TV. Epcot? I could interact with people from all of these different countries, see trolls in Norway, be sold stuff by a Mexican on a boat ride, see Figment or Buzzy, ride a ride with Bill Nye and freaking dinosaurs, see how we can grow plants in the future, go to a underwater base and see fish, etc. I couldn't get that anywhere else. It was purely unique.

If the experience is good, it doesn't matter what IP (if any) is attached to it.

Stripes

Premium Member
Doesn't mean every single thing has to be based on an existing IP. Most of the Magic Kingdom's iconic attractions were not based on a specific movie or tv show and they still hold up today.
Many hold up even better than their IP counterparts.

I question why Disney concludes that when something without IP sucks, it's because it doesn't have IP. But when something with IP sucks (TSL, for instance), it's because it actually sucks.

They should draw the latter conclusion every time, not the former.

MickeyMinnieMom

erm129188LARGE.jpg

erm202189LARGE.jpg

erm301388LARGE.jpg

Epcot

ecb205723SMALL.jpg

erm201023SMALL.jpg

I hear this a lot on boards, and while it was true a few years back, I think there’s a lot of differentiated merch now — not for the parks themselves and the resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom