News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

JeffH

Considering Disney's predilection for projection shows nowadays, which to some degree started with the Earth globe of Illuminations (having a central show point), I was thinking that if they floated a large balloon (larger than Aerophile at Disney Springs), they could project the 'show' on 4 sides of the balloon and the balloon could be aloft allowing everyone to see the projection instead of just those on the edge of the lagoon. A large balloon would provide a bigger 'screen(s)', better visibility and not be plagued by all the blank space that the seas created on the Earth Globe. And if they fill it with hydrogen, they could light it on fire during the finale, that would be awesome, a giant fireball.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Would this mean there are better viewing areas than others around the lagoon? With the drone show at DS for example everyone viewed from one side. With something like Illuminations viewing is 360.

Drones can create a full 3D image, or, if they're creating a flat 2D image, they can rotate so that all viewing angles can see it head on.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And if they fill it with hydrogen, they could light it on fire during the finale, that would be awesome, a giant fireball.
Someone else tried that once...
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5MS83OTgvb3JpZ2luYWwvaGluZGVuYnVyZy1kaXNhc3Rlci0wMDEuanBn

Oh, the humanity.

brb1006

probably not, I think I saw one of his post but I'm just not one to go around lamenting the "good old days" so I may have glimpsed a few minutes of it.

lol yes and unfortunately Sir, I liked TSL so evidently I was told that I had "low class taste" (lol, which is definitely possible but didn't know i needed a blood test to enjoy the parks). Evidently I'm not one of the "purist" so I was also told that evidently I don't know a good theme park attraction.

I do hope they still have those "illuminations" cruises, I'm retiring next year and plan on having my retirement party at the world, wanted to rent one.

qhve06S.gif

I don't care if you never seen his videos. You need to see them for a History Lesson about Epcot and Walt Disney World as a whole.

geekza

Getting rid of the stale RoE, adding Rat and the other stuff, IP or not, will boost the park and give some sort of life to a flailing, less than stellar park that is starting not to deserve repeat visits...
You have to ask yourself, though, why is the park "less-than-stellar" and "flailing?" It wasn't always that way. It's because years of neglect and indifference made it that way. Since there is money around for development now, why not make attempts to bring about a new "golden age" of EPCOT by investing in refurbishments and additions that continue the still-very-valid-and-inspiring original theme instead of abandoning it and using the money for attractions that are a better fit in a different park? Why take something unique and beautiful and transform it into a nondescript park with long walks in between the attractions?

I'm not against judiciously using characters in EPCOT if they truly contribute to an experience that is in keeping with the original theme. However, a nighttime fireworks and effects spectacular is a calling card for that park and should be the climax of a day of experiences that ties them all together. Illuminations did just that. I agree that it's time for a change, but the only reason for change should be in order to improve upon what has come before. Unless I'm proved otherwise by the final result (which I truly still hope I will be), this feels like a lowering of the bar.

Once a Theme Park no longer has a theme, it's just an amusement park. That was exactly the kind of place that Walt was countering with Disneyland. There are hundreds of amusement parks in the world. There's only one EPCOT.

eliza61nyc

qhve06S.gif

I don't care if you never seen his videos. You need to see them for a History Lesson about Epcot and Walt Disney World as a whole.

lol you have got to be kidding me? this is what you want to go back to? OMG, it's like me wanting to go back to Antebellum south. Yes, it's an interesting documentary about a by gone age. I'm looking at the bottom one, I feel like I'm watching star trek with William shatner.

Question were these actual rides or is this what he wanted Epcot to be?

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

What’s snobbish about wanting variety and quality?

You seem to believe a corporation is infallible...that is incorrect in 100% of the cases. Bank it.
There’s nothing snobby about desiring higher standards.

Step back a moment - big picture - it’s a theme park.

It’s like being snooty about lunch meat.

I suppose somewhere there is a forum where they argue the proper percentage of fat in salami, and who invented prosciutto and what they originally intended it to be. At the end of the day, it’s still lunch meat - and I love a good sandwich, but it’s not highbrow and I know it.

If you want to be snooty, go to the symphony or look at art that does not include hidden Mickeys.

The rest of us enjoy our Disney characters at a Disney theme park, and if there’s a reasonable tangential relationship between one and a country (mis)”represented” at Epcot, then paint. It. On.

And if Ratatouille makes Fake France a little less boring for an 8 year old, such that it sparks an interest in real France and French history and culture as he/she grows up, then “edutainment” has been achieved. But let’s not pretend we’re learning about actual France because we walk by a mini replica Eiffel Tower while eating a croissant in front of people from France wearing things they’d never wear at home, and 20 steps later find ourselves in Italy. If we’re arguing authenticity, it’s absurd.

We already suspend disbelief enough that animals talk, people fly, and every hero and villain from different realms are on a boat together, but Heaven forbid the fake Norway ride is modified to include new fake characters from a town in Norway of whose name a little artistic license has been taken, and suddenly authenticity is on trial.

Standards are important and wonderful. Opinions do not equal standards.

brb1006

lol you have got to be kidding me? this is what you want to go back to? OMG, it's like me wanting to go back to Antebellum south. Yes, it's an interesting documentary about a by gone age. I'm looking at the bottom one, I feel like I'm watching star trek with William shatner.
His latest tributes are an hour long but it's worth the watch. Unless you want to see his older videos that are a bit shorter in length. But the updated tributes contain newer footage.

Tony the Tigger

Really? Let's run a little poll... THIS....................or THAT...
images
91hKFYlTrRL._SX355_.jpg

Thanks for reminding me. I left out: you can be discerning about the quality of one lunch meat brand over another. It’s still lunch meat.

Side note: people in Hawaii and elsewhere may choose the spam. There’s no right or wrong. Love what you love.

You shouldn’t feel a need to feel superior to others about your choices re: lunch meats or theme parks.

geekza

the snobbery come in the fact that you are assuming that those who don't mind the changes some how like low standards or because some one who likes a particular area that equates to them not knowing "quality"
There's nothing wrong with enjoying whatever you enjoy. I love Tilt-A-Whirls. Love them! They're a great time and I have wonderful memories of riding them with friends and families. You're not wrong to love something that gives you pleasure.

With that said, what is wrong with being disappointed when a company that has proven that it can take what are fairly common elements and gone the extra mile to make them unique or creates experiences that other companies then try and copy shows a trend of no longer being innovators and of only delivering what is easiest, rather than what is best? It has nothing to do with being against change, it's just expecting those changes to justify the ballooning costs of everything in the parks and to show that the current management are being good stewards of the remarkable legacy and privilege they've been given. Disneyland and WDW are more than simple theme parks. They are an indelible part of our culture and deserve to be treated like the treasures that they are. I don't complain because I'm old. I complain because I truly care. Those who constantly come down on us for that (Not you. As I've said before. you have always been respectful to me, even though we tend to disagree on a lot of things.), are simply looking at things from a different perspective. It doesn't mean that we're wrong, though, and should be dismissed.

eliza61nyc

I wouldn’t say “low class”...

But it’s not good. Even if you like the theming...which is an obvious step down...they failed to come even close to handling a crowd. It was a mess on th slow days I was there.

Or...and this is worse...they purposefully underbuilt it to “drive demand”

If that’s the case, then we have much bigger problems.

So sir I'll just say you get a lot "deeper" than we do. We we there 8/29-9/5. Did TSL twice. Had a blast each day, which evidently isn't sufficient for you guys, I did not evaluate the themeing against any thing else. I walked in and said wow this is pretty, i took about 200 pictures. I love primary colors. We rode slinky dog and loved it, again I did not compare it to any thing, I did not think " this is an F, C, Q ride. I got on, sat down and rode. When I got off I said, hey that was fun. I loved the live entertainment from the green army men. I didn't ride Alien saucers because spinning rides make me sick

rle4lunch

Why take something unique and beautiful and transform it into a nondescript park with long walks in between the attractions?

Its already become this, without adding any significant IP presence, and was this well before they started knocking buildings down. It was like visiting an abandoned world's fair, or a more recent analogy, like visiting a shopping mall nowadays. Shops and attractions that were played out in 1991 or now closed litter the landscape, then long walks to the 4 attractions still operating that are strewn on opposite ends of the park.

RobbinsDad

It’s being filled with IP and attractions that could be expected to be found in a castle or studios park?

It’s a park no longer connected to or worthy of its name. Either of them.
Exactly. I'm not anti-IP. I do wish we had more of a healthy mix of original concepts and existing IP, but regardless EPCOT is the one that lacks any identity right now. I've said before, it would be so easy to enhance the EPCOT brand and put IP in everything if they committed to making the park's attractions the most technically and thematically-innovative in the world. Save the clones for the other parks.

Nottamus

Although this is my wife’s and mine favorite show, and has special meaning to us ( and millions of others)

I will not get upset until I see what replaces it.

I will shed a tear when ROE is last seen by us, but who knows, the new show might hold more of what we all want to see!

Epcot is, and will always be our favorite park...so we look forward to the changes and hope it’s all for the best!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom