News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Wendy Pleakley

And having characters some how prevents that?
In no way is Epcot like Magic kingdom.
What's wrong with science fiction? Going to the moon was at one time science fiction yet we did it, the 6 million dollar man was a campy make believe tv show and im living proof of the science of artificial joints and limbs, a lot of the things in the iron man movie are things people are working on. My point is IP and technology are not mutually exclusive.
Flynn asked me what i thought would be a good fit, that's what I think just because you don't agree does not mean it's wrong.

Nothing wrong with some characters, particularly ones with direct connection to other countries or those that wear a unique outfit. that ties them to World Showcase.

Science Fiction is fine, I just think it belongs in Tomorrowland. Guardians of the Galaxy is pure fantasy. Fun, but not a good fit for Epcot.

Rides about possible future achievements can work, which is why Mission: Space is a good fit. Going to Mars is something that is actively talked about and proposed.

Iron Man? Maybe depending on how it's incorporated. However, a man who has a nano-technology powered suit form around him on a whim, feels far closer to science fiction than science fact.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

So I put together what I got out of this thread so far. I probably missed some of the hints.

Drones
Nations
IP/Characters covering the show
"Wow" factor
Different pacing
Sort of like TDS Fantasmic
Illuminations ends September 30th, 2019
Skymosphere is a name Disney trade marked
IP "North, South, East, and West" North points to Future World (possibly guardians), South points to America, East to Frozen/Norway, West to Rat/UK.
Nighttime at Epcot won't be the same
Changeover will be overnight
I already hate this show, Happily ever after should be enough character nighttime experience as it is. I would be happy with a new Illuminations but it doesn't look like this show is going to be an Illuminations. That's ok, I love the outside resort I go to, Disney is just a thing to do while down in Florida.

TwilightZone

So I put together what I got out of this thread so far. I probably missed some of the hints.

Drones
Nations
"Wow" factor
Different pacing
IP "North, South, East, and West" North points to Future World (possibly guardians), South points to America, East to Frozen/Norway, West to Rat/UK.
Also @MisterPenguin's comment about the potential name and sponsor. The name more interesting to me than the sponsor
Illuminations: Windows on the World sponsored by Intel
Since reflections of earth was literal in the current Illuminations, I'm expecting Windows on the World to also be literal. But how they are going to do this effect IDK.

trainplane3

Not if the image is flat above you. Sure it could be sideways or upside down, but you’d figure it out. Just like the shaped fireworks in HEA. At least drones can move to allow multiple orientations during a scene. I just struggle to do the connect-the-dots in my head if the image is too complex. Perhaps they can do more and add texture if they increase the number of drones and use many colors? I don’t know. They’ve been working on this a long time and have another year to keep working. I’ve always felt the tech for this new show would be impressive. No “that’s it?” like I feel after seeing RoL. I don’t see this show being as emotive as RoE, but it’s probably best to have a dramatic shift in the feel of the show to minimize comparisons.

We will still compare of course. And whine. And complain. Unless they make a Dreamfinder out of drones.
I mean...it'd make me happy.

I feel even the old Futureworld logos could be too complex unless they're going to blanket the sky with drones. Drone tech is still cool regardless and I hope they integrate it well.

jrhwdw

To our insiders: Do we know the budget for this show? Bigger than ROE? Has it been already approved and nothing can touch it moving forward?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Not if the image is flat above you. Sure it could be sideways or upside down, but you’d figure it out. Just like the shaped fireworks in HEA. At least drones can move to allow multiple orientations during a scene. I just struggle to do the connect-the-dots in my head if the image is too complex. Perhaps they can do more and add texture if they increase the number of drones and use many colors? I don’t know. They’ve been working on this a long time and have another year to keep working. I’ve always felt the tech for this new show would be impressive. No “that’s it?” like I feel after seeing RoL. I don’t see this show being as emotive as RoE, but it’s probably best to have a dramatic shift in the feel of the show to minimize comparisons.

We will still compare of course. And whine. And complain. Unless they make a Dreamfinder out of drones.

Yeah I guess it could be two dimensional in that regards, but that would seem like a let down. I couldn’t piece together the shows done at DS. I wasn’t there and am just going off of YouTube so perhaps the 3-D aspect doesn’t render right as opposed to in person.

Needless to say I just hope any drone aspect is suplimental to the show behind pyros and projections or lasers.

ToTBellHop

An example of what I have heard for Drone use Is Mimicking snow, and giant snowflakes for Frozen
Honestly, that sounds like a more reliable way to create distinctive symbols than fireworks. And of course you can fill the sky with them and do it for longer. Giant snowflakes, I’d imagine, would be more convincing than drones “falling” like snow. Plus they can use drones to form logos for park sponsors! I seem to remember a Pepsi logo at Super Bowl LI...ugh. The American flag was pretty cool though. And the snowboarder at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Epcot was built on two ideas as you said, and the current version of Epcot is diluting those ideas with every new decision. It's not working towards anything consistent other than the Barney Stinson mantra of newer is always better. People that haven't realized how dire a state Epcot is in are delusional. Yes it needs to evolve, but that evolution needs to have a focus and an end game. It's been receiving piecemeal additions for 20 years and it seems like we're getting more of the same.

The management of it has been bad...no argument.

Much of it comes from a two ceo tantrum over nobody wanting to sponsor/pay the bills.

It’s not good.

But to make it a hybrid magic kingdom/mgm
Clone is the wrong path.

I don’t want princesses or guardians...
Iger wants to have kids running around during the day and then run liquor festivals at night. It is stupid. Better management is needed.

Variation in a complex that size is good. Not much debate there.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Drones
Nations
"Wow" factor
Different pacing
You get an “A” for patience/research on this one...really did the Dirty work.

Now...the bad news is if all that’s true, most of it absolutely sucks...like big time.

Rteetz

Honestly, that sounds like a more reliable way to create distinctive symbols than fireworks. And of course you can fill the sky with them and do it for longer. Giant snowflakes, I’d imagine, would be more convincing than drones “falling” like snow. Plus they can use drones to form logos for park sponsors! I seem to remember a Pepsi logo at Super Bowl LI...ugh. The American flag was pretty cool though. And the snowboarder at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
Would this mean there are better viewing areas than others around the lagoon? With the drone show at DS for example everyone viewed from one side. With something like Illuminations viewing is 360.

brb1006

What's wrong with science fiction? Going to the moon was at one time science fiction yet we did it, the 6 million dollar man was a campy make believe tv show and im living proof of the science of artificial joints and limbs, a lot of the things in the iron man movie are things people are working on. My point is IP and technology are not mutually exclusive.
Flynn asked me what i thought would be a good fit, that's what I think just because you don't agree does not mean it's wrong.
Did you watch any of Martin's tribute video to Epcot's past attractions?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You can’t beg for Disney movie IP in all the parks and claim you want them to offer a variety of experience. I don’t know how that’s a hard or controversial take to swallow?

...the new additions announced to specifically Epcot and MK kinda belong in the “movie park” anyway...

So by intellectual laziness the tiny, underdeveloped studios park takes over the “theme” of all the others?

What a bad idea for a longterm, stable offering that is in a position to suit different tastes over time. Things ebb and flow...even at Disney.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You can’t beg for Disney movie IP in all the parks and claim you want them to offer a variety of experience. I don’t know how that’s a hard or controversial take to swallow?

...the new additions announced to specifically Epcot and MK kinda belong in the “movie park” anyway...

So by intellectual laziness the tiny, underdeveloped studios park takes over the “theme” of all the others?

What a bad idea for a longterm, stable offering that is in a position to suit different tastes over time. Things ebb and flow...even at Disney.

It’s not even that, it’s the desire to design everything to appeal to the age 8-18 demographic. (When they aren’t glued to their iPhones) This coupled with laziness in creativity results in what you describe.

They will not design a show catered to adults the way ROE is. Not with the current mindset.

TwilightZone

It’s not even that, it’s the desire to design everything to appeal to the age 8-18 demographic. (When they aren’t glued to their iPhones) This coupled with laziness in creativity results in what you describe.

They will not design a show catered to adults the way ROE is. Not with the current mindset.
I would say the age gap is lower than that. Maybe around 8-12.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That was implied...but not stated.

So I’ll state it:
You can’t design themeparks with a #1 goal of “not boring the kids...ever”

That not the only demographic...and they have no money!

And you also can’t cater to immature overstuffed children posing as “adults”...there needs to be balance and that’s the coocoo club.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom