News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

SoupBone

Yes it is. Chevrolet is the IP and their cars are the characters. You even have a M&G with the characters after the ride. I'd rather meet Lightning McQueen than Chevy Impala.

This is ridiculous. First, Disney doesn't own Chevrolet, so no it's factually not IP. Second, Chevrolet displays their current and some future cars. It's about innovation, and yes it's also a commercial for them. But having Chevrolet as a sponsor of Test Track is factually relevant. Try again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Take a look at what's going into Paris and DCA. Epcot is a disjointed mess right now and the additions on the horizon don't appear to have a unifying theme. It was the worst park in the US when Soarin and Maelstrom were closed a few years ago and it will once again be the worst park in the US when Star Wars land opens.

Wait a second...are you 26 too? I didn’t think so...but...

Not every park has to be whizz bang or cartoon strips...

So do I like what they’re doing in Epcot? Not particularly....which is the entire point of this thread about illuminations. You missed the undercurrent here talking about what should or shouldn’t fit the park.

But that doesn’t make epcot irrelevant. It is an important step in all the parks that followed...particularly DAK.
But you kind a need to know your backstory here...and that doesn’t seem to be the case.

You just listed why the rides sucked...and went propoganda on a Star Wars land half built where the IP itself is in silent lockdown (have you seen some of the theories on Abrams latest “masterpiece”?...could be as dramatic as attack of the clones 🙄...jury out there). Epcot was not built on rides...it was built on two themes. Because iger can’t be bothered to do anything but magic kingdoms...doesn’t eliminate the soul of the Epcot project.

Maybe we should do a podcast on it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is ridiculous. First, Disney doesn't own Chevrolet, so no it's factually not IP. Second, Chevrolet displays their current and some future cars. It's about innovation, and yes it's also a commercial for them. But having Chevrolet as a sponsor of Test Track is factually relevant. Try again.

IP. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Now, if we were talking about **Disney** **movie** IP, then, yes, TT doesn't have that. But it still has an Intellectual Property in the form of its corporate sponsor with physical representations for you to touch and get in and get a picture with.

You throw a fit with the IP of Disney, but are blind to the non-Disney corporate IPs they shove in your face.

Marc Davis Fan

I’m surprised that you guys haven’t caught more of the hints. There have been more in clueful posts in this thread than I think there were in the original new nighttime show at Epcot thread. But, alas, we go on.
While it is unfortunate that characters will be practically covering the show, other practical effects should make the nothingness a bit better in the eyes of visitors to Epcot's World showcase.

So, in your personal opinion, the confirmed plan will not “tastefully” feature characters / IP into a moving presensation about global community, but instead constantly cram them haphazardly into [whatever the angle or story of the show will be]?

Also, if I may ask... Would you say that, considering only the visual spectacle / “wow”-factor aspects, it will equal or surpass RoE?

SoupBone

Now, if we were talking about **Disney** **movie** IP, then, yes, TT doesn't have that. But it still has an Intellectual Property in the form of its corporate sponsor with physical representations for you to touch and get in and get a picture with.

You throw a fit with the IP of Disney, but are blind to the non-Disney corporate IPs they shove in your face.

I look at IP as actual Disney owned entities. That's Disney Intellectual Property. Sponsorship, while I'm not a huge fan of it, has a place in keeping some of these rides open. Chevrolet, for good or bad, is a relevant sponsor for a car attraction. Throwing Anna and Elsa into a spot where Illuminations is, is an insult to EPCOT.

TwilightZone

Figment, Buzzy, and other park only characters also count as IP. There is no winning.

RSoxNo1

Wait a second...are you 26 too? I didn’t think so...but...

Not every park has to be whizz bang or cartoon strips...

So do I like what they’re doing in Epcot? Not particularly....which is the entire point of this thread about illuminations. You missed the undercurrent here talking about what should or shouldn’t fit the park.

But that doesn’t make epcot irrelevant. It is an important step in all the parks that followed...particularly DAK.
But you kind a need to know your backstory here...and that doesn’t seem to be the case.

You just listed why the rides sucked...and went propoganda on a Star Wars land half built where the IP itself is in silent lockdown (have you seen some of the theories on Abrams latest “masterpiece”?...could be as dramatic as attack of the clones 🙄...jury out there). Epcot was not built on rides...it was built on two themes. Because iger can’t be bothered to do anything but magic kingdoms...doesn’t eliminate the soul of the Epcot project.

Maybe we should do a podcast on it?
Epcot was built on two ideas as you said, and the current version of Epcot is diluting those ideas with every new decision. It's not working towards anything consistent other than the Barney Stinson mantra of newer is always better. People that haven't realized how dire a state Epcot is in are delusional. Yes it needs to evolve, but that evolution needs to have a focus and an end game. It's been receiving piecemeal additions for 20 years and it seems like we're getting more of the same.

Magic Feather

So, in your personal opinion, the confirmed plan will not “tastefully” feature characters / IP into a moving presensation about global community, but instead constantly cram them haphazardly into [whatever the angle or story of the show will be]?

Also, if I may ask... Would you say that, considering only the visual spectacle / “wow”-factor aspects, it will equal or surpass RoE?
I would read a little bit more into my post for a few more specifics. Bust out a magnifying glass if you have to.

As for the wow-factor, dare I say the new show will surpass RoE. It will have much different pacing, and, as said before, a little more TDS Fant! To it.

Wendy Pleakley

lol, oh boy you're really going to hate me Flynn, but what is Epcot's mission? I thought it was just a theme park to have fun in. Ok deep breath, deep breath. So I went to good ole Wikipedia and it said: Epcot is dedicated to the celebration of human achievement, namely technological innovation and international culture, and is often referred to as a "permanent world's fair

Now it also said the Walt wanted it to be a city but that was abandoned after his death. It also said that even from the beginning there was disagreement over what it should be, so maybe it's unfair to blame all the problems you have on Iger. It (wikipedia) said that some imagineers wanted to focus on representing cutting edge technology while others wanted to focus on international customs and culture.

So going with the technological innovation, how about an Iron man ride?? Tony stark was pretty technologically advanced? Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty futuristic if you go with the premise that there are other worlds out there.

World showcase is still really great to me but my kids didn't really get into it until they were much older. we walked through it mainly because we own at the Beach club and we can walk to Epcot.

What was the "Epcot story"?? when I first went there were the things that are there now except for frozen. Ellens universe of energy. which every one thought was for nap time, so yes I think even an IP ride would be better than that. That God awful Captain Eo, and honey I shrunk the audience.

Has anyone suggested Epcot shouldn't be fun?

Iron Man is science fiction, not really based on any actual technological innovation.

Frozen does not represent international culture. Ratatouille might a little bit? (I'm not familiar with the specific content of that attraction).

It's not about disagreement over what Epcot should have been at the time, but rather many of us are disappointed by the chipping away of what Epcot actually was when it did open.

Not to say we'll ever all agree completely on what Epcot should be like, but I maintain it's in Disney's interest to offer a variety of different experiences. As it was said, in Florida they have the blessing of space. If Epcot is just going to be an extension of the Magic Kingdom, it's a waste of that space.

eliza61nyc

Has anyone suggested Epcot shouldn't be fun?

Iron Man is science fiction, not really based on any actual technological innovation.

Frozen does not represent international culture. Ratatouille might a little bit? (I'm not familiar with the specific content of that attraction).

It's not about disagreement over what Epcot should have been at the time, but rather many of us are disappointed by the chipping away of what Epcot actually was when it did open.

Not to say we'll ever all agree completely on what Epcot should be like, but I maintain it's in Disney's interest to offer a variety of different experiences. As it was said, in Florida they have the blessing of space. If Epcot is just going to be an extension of the Magic Kingdom, it's a waste of that space.
And having characters some how prevents that?
In no way is Epcot like Magic kingdom.
What's wrong with science fiction? Going to the moon was at one time science fiction yet we did it, the 6 million dollar man was a campy make believe tv show and im living proof of the science of artificial joints and limbs, a lot of the things in the iron man movie are things people are working on. My point is IP and technology are not mutually exclusive.
Flynn asked me what i thought would be a good fit, that's what I think just because you don't agree does not mean it's wrong.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I would read a little bit more into my post for a few more specifics. Bust out a magnifying glass if you have to.

As for the wow-factor, dare I say the new show will surpass RoE. It will have much different pacing, and, as said before, a little more TDS Fant! To it.
Can drones believably form the shape of Olaf or Mary Poppins flying in? I understand they were testing this out in Disney Springs a couple years back but the visuals didn’t really work for me.

Rteetz

So I put together what I got out of this thread so far. I probably missed some of the hints.

Drones
Nations
IP/Characters covering the show
"Wow" factor
Different pacing
Sort of like TDS Fantasmic
Illuminations ends September 30th, 2019
Skymosphere is a name Disney trade marked
IP "North, South, East, and West" North points to Future World (possibly guardians), South points to America, East to Frozen/Norway, West to Rat/UK.
Nighttime at Epcot won't be the same
Changeover will be overnight

RSoxNo1

It’s sad, but I am glad that the road blocks seem to have finally been removed. Let’s just hope that RoE can manage to trudge along until then.
Is this because of the SIEMENS partnership ending?
Other way around, ish.
Another thing I will say is that Epcot at night will not be the same. Between the torchlight illuminating the walkways, and the preshow music loop playing, it made for a quintessentially Epcot experience. I am (pleasantly?) surprised that the changeover would be overnight, although the new show debuting during Food and Wine seems a bit odd. Sure it is not pulling the numbers that it used to, but there are times when Epcot hurts far worse (cough, the Summer of Diet Epcot, cough).
I’m surprised that you guys haven’t caught more of the hints. There have been more in clueful posts in this thread than I think there were in the original new nighttime show at Epcot thread. But, alas, we go on.
While it is unfortunate that characters will be practically covering the show, other practical effects should make the nothingness a bit better in the eyes of visitors to Epcot's World showcase.

Ok, now to over analyze what Magic Feather has said in this thread.
Some terms that potentially stand out
  • road blocks
  • trudge along
  • clueful posts
  • we go on
  • lodestar

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Can drones believably form the shape of Olaf or Mary Poppins flying in? I understand they were testing this out in Disney Springs a couple years back but the visuals didn’t really work for me.

I would think it would be a hard thing to do based on your viewing angle. For example If the show is oriented north/south, guests on the east/west side would miss out.

ToTBellHop

I would think it would be a hard thing to do based on your viewing angle. For example If the show is oriented north/south, guests on the east/west side would miss out.
Not if the image is flat above you. Sure it could be sideways or upside down, but you’d figure it out. Just like the shaped fireworks in HEA. At least drones can move to allow multiple orientations during a scene. I just struggle to do the connect-the-dots in my head if the image is too complex. Perhaps they can do more and add texture if they increase the number of drones and use many colors? I don’t know. They’ve been working on this a long time and have another year to keep working. I’ve always felt the tech for this new show would be impressive. No “that’s it?” like I feel after seeing RoL. I don’t see this show being as emotive as RoE, but it’s probably best to have a dramatic shift in the feel of the show to minimize comparisons.

We will still compare of course. And whine. And complain. Unless they make a Dreamfinder out of drones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom