News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

SamusAranX

You're saying they should "shut up and play"? I mean, that seems to be the plan, they'll still make their "wOkE" stuff, they just won't get loud about it.

Which if you think about it means the crazy zealots won.
Then Bob Iger is a “crazy zealot” since he all but said “shut up and make good movies”

Chi84

Premium Member
Discussed/speculated as in the governor wrote a whole book about why he did it, then yes.
Before any more insults occur, I think the original post was meant to convey a parallel between (what the governor interpreted as) Disney advising the government on legislation and the governor now advising Disney on theme park building.

I don’t attribute such sophistication to the governor’s thinking, but I’m fairly sure
@El Gran Magnifico didn’t say what people seem to be reading.

tissandtully

Before any more insults occur, I think the original post was meant to convey a parallel between (what the governor interpreted as) Disney advising the government on legislation and the governor now advising Disney on theme park building.

I don’t attribute such sophistication to the governor’s thinking, but I’m fairly sure
@El Gran Magnifico didn’t say what people seem to be reading.
kinda rude for a smoking chimp

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Humor me here. Are you saying that when you wrote "because of the fact", that the words you wrote immediately after that are not facts but opinion?

I wrote it in reply to DeSantis comment about how Disney should open a 5th gate. I found it ironic that after all the discussion (go back to post #1 of this thread) of how this entire situation was politically motivated because of Disney's position of a bill introduced by the State. That now DeSantis is basically doing the same thing by publicly advocating for a position that he shouldn't be commenting on.

You wanted to twist it all around. And you attempted to.

You selected the specific snippet you wanted to reply to. You resorted to insults that insinuated that this was my personal opinion, that Disney had no right to comment on Florida's position. Which it was not. That's what happens when you take things out of context.

lentesta

Premium Member
I wrote it in reply to DeSantis comment about how Disney should open a 5th gate. I found it ironic that after all the discussion (go back to post #1 of this thread) of how this entire situation was politically motivated because of Disney's position of a bill introduced by the State. That now DeSantis is basically doing the same thing by publicly advocating for a position that he shouldn't be commenting on.

You selected the specific snippet you wanted to reply to. You resorted to insults that insinuated that this was my personal opinion, that Disney had no right to comment on Florida's position. Which it was not. That's what happens when you take things out of context.

OK. I apologize for the confusion and for the offense I've have caused you. That's on me for not asking for clarity.

TheIceBaron

It would be interesting to know how settlement discussions got started and who in fact reached out to who first. I’d love to also review the settlement document and see which side won on what. Would be curious if there was any mention of future political activity on the part of Disney. We know that from Disney’s 10-k their social positions are listed as a risk factor, so I wonder if there was a lot of pressure internally or as a result of the board fight, to really pullback on everything political.

DCBaker

Premium Member
It would be interesting to know how settlement discussions got started and who in fact reached out to who first. I’d love to also review the settlement document and see which side won on what. Would be curious if there was any mention of future political activity on the part of Disney. We know that from Disney’s 10-k their social positions are listed as a risk factor, so I wonder if there was a lot of pressure internally or as a result of the board fight, to really pullback on everything political.

You can read the Settlement Agreement documents that were filed in state court from Politico at this link: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000018e-8071-d570-adaf-a47778d90001

Stripes

It's my hope that Florida's Investigator General continues diving deeper into RCID's and Disney's financials, email databases, tax records, and issued bond dealings.

It's time that the state get to the bottom of everything under the "sunshine" law and FINALLY prove that Disney never did anything wrong over this last decade.

If the state ends this investigation and turns it back on it, then they will deny Disney that beautiful confirmation.

Keep digging Florida! Do it for Disney's best interest! ;-)
Okay. They already spent $100k digging up any dirt they could find on RCID. And they didn’t find a single thing that could harm Disney. They only found things that could harm CFTOD.

So yes, dig away Florida.

Wendy Pleakley

Not the same thing.

It's fine for a governor to encourage a local business to expand and draw in more tourism.

The issue was a government official punishing a business for allowed speech.

TheIceBaron

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So half us here KNEW this day would come and we KNEW it would end like this. The other half swore up and down that Disney had the legal and MORAL high ground and that their spectacularly powerful legal army would crush the State of Florida and make it regret the day it ever challenged Disney and it's RCID government.

RCID,...and the "self-dealing" way it was originally crafted, was a bad idea from day one and Florida rightfully changed it to a better and more "normal" special taxing district configuration.

I'm guessing the Disney and RCID financial investigations by the State Investigator General will also stop now? Or, will that part continue??

Yeah,...this ending is a ZERO surprise to half of us here.

lol it’s funny how people can contort themselves on this
It’s because of Mitch McConnell…if we want to get it cut down to the bone

Cliff

I've seen some bad takes and this is one of them.
I think the reason why RCID collapsed so easily is that the way this darn thing was chartered from the beginning was SEVERELY flawed. RCID was given things and setup in a way that NO other special taxing district has ever been set up before or afterward. RCID was a freak of nature (or a freak of government) The "temptation" for self-dealing was like no other and way off the charts. (The temptation for it, because it was "potentially" so easy)

For decades and decades, Florida Democrats and Republicans complained about it but eventually were convinced to turn and look away. Disney gave money to BOTH parties and BOTH parties happily took Disney's donations. Then Disney did what it did and somebody said: "OK,...that's it...we are no longer looking the other way anymore"

The thing is: Disney's RCID was ALWAYS walking on a governmental, political and public relations tight-rope! Disney just slipped on the line and fell a couple of years ago.

Disney always knew that if the legitimacy of RICD "today" ever made it to the courts...they had nothing to stand on. ALL special taxing districts in Florida are instruments of the STATE...not the company that operates in them. The state has the power to give them and the power to take them away. Disney does not have that authority. Disney disagrees with this...but RCID did NOT belong to "Disney".

I can bet my life on this: Florida was sooo EXCITED to give the Experimental Prototype "COMMUNITY" of Tomorrow...ALL these INCREDIBLE powers. Florida was expecting RCID to need an international airport and nuclear power plant and soo much more for this futuristic CITY with THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of "residents" and "citizens" actually LIVING in it.

It never happened and the powers that Disney's RCID were given?....were just not necessary at all. There are MANY special taxing districts in Florida but we will NEVER,...EVER...see another one like "Disney's" RCID again. Especially one that has no real citizens living in it.

Well? Disney protested and fought this as HARD as they possibly could and still, RCID as we knew it is now 100% gone.

So here we are...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom